U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2010, 01:43 PM

8,257 posts, read 11,193,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I'm sorry but ANYONE that I'm just newly seeing asking me to give up something I personally do to "spend the rest of my life" with them would just come off as incredibly vain, self-centered, and not to mention creepy.
DING DING DING!!!!!!!!We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!! "Hey honey. I'll make you a deal. You give up General Hospital, Oprah and talking on the fu**ing phone all day and I'll give up my Ganga!" Okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 PM

8,113 posts, read 14,081,216 times
I've always liked marijuana. I guess for my age, that makes me odd. I'm not into doing it all the time. Just very occasionally. For example, the last time I had some was on vacation in 1997. I don't use it often enough to worry about bad effects.

One of these days/years, I'd love to grab a doobie, a bag of Oreos, and my SO. Just hang out at home and see what happens. It might be a lot of fun.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:42 PM

9,444 posts, read 9,993,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Anybody who says that marijuana is a harmless drug is just ignorant. A joint has about 3 to 5 times more tar than a cigarette.

I know a woman who has been using marijuana regularly for the last 20 years and she suffers from terrible migraines(Hmm, I wonder why!)

The damage it does to the brain is also undeniable. Listen to any pothead speak and it is depressing, Tommy Chong is a good example. Ozzy Osbourne is another example but I think his brain damage is more related to heroin use.
I don't think anyone here says that marijuana is a harmless drug. Any drug or substance does harm to your body, what we are talking about is that all legal drugs and alcohol are just as, if not MORE harmful then pot, but yet it's used all the time. Occasional joint doesn't do much harm. I would rather hang out with someone who occasionally has a joint and laughs his ass off, then the one who gets drunk and then gets violent. Alcohol abuse brings out the worst in people.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM

2,019 posts, read 5,372,144 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but ANYONE that I'm just newly seeing asking me to give up something I personally do to "spend the rest of my life" with them would just come off as incredibly vain, self-centered, and not to mention creepy.
Ya that wouldn't work, you're right... early in a relationship a better question would be "would you or could you ever consider giving up smoking?" or even better yet and more informative: "why do you smoke?"

Old 01-05-2010, 02:56 PM

2,019 posts, read 5,372,144 times
Quote:
I beseech you to find the factual evidence to this claim. I have read many, many studies on MJ and have found no deaths from MJ use, no cancer cases, and NO studies where MJ was found to be more harmful than tobacco.
Forget about comparing tobacco to MJ... here's a few questions for you SmerkyGrl:

You know that it's breathing smoke right?
You know that any filters used in a MJ pipe turn black with tar right?
Do you really think our bodies like breathing that stuff in?

Burning plants produce smoke - smoke is bad for our lungs and yes, there's all sorts of "bad" stuff in the smoke - you shouldn't need a study to come to that conclusion.

By all means go ahead and smoke if you will; I certainly don't think we should have laws outlawing it - I just personally haven't seen it do a lick of good for anyone except my grandma who was dying of cancer at the time and needed an appetite and some pain relief to live long enough to see one of her grandkids get married.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 PM

17,733 posts, read 15,160,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Lets say you go out on a few dates with an attractive guy/girl and everything is connecting. The person has goals, has a decent job, responsible and considers hisself/herself pretty successful so far. But you find out one day this person smokes marijuana.

I'm not talking about a complete stoner. Just someone that likes to smoke on the weekends some and maybe a little during the week after work or school.

Opinions?
It's not compatible with my lifestyle. I don't smoke, pot or anything else, but I don't demonize it (smoking, be it marijuana or tobacco does annoy me, not gonna lie, but I don't have a moral high horse to get up on over it...just a personal distaste and annoyance), and if others do, their choice. However, it's not something I'm going to consistently spend time around or build any part of my recreation/relaxation around or accommodate. So that might automatically preclude any type of relationship developing beyond the very casual. Pot smokers, in my experience, are usually more interested in socializing with other people who are open to partaking and are more open to the culture that can builds up around it (staying in more so you can smoke up, going out less because you can't smoke up in public in many areas, etc.). That's not me, so I doubt the interest on either side would last long, if pot were a regular part of somebody's life. Just a lifestyle difference.

I don't presume to think that people who smoke pot recreationally fit any one personality mold (no cliche Tommy Chong, Jeffrey Lebowski references, here), but one behavior that I have noticed as a common theme is a preoccupation with the habit to the exclusion of other activities. Every time I've been in a social circle where people were into recreational pot smoking, and the few times I've attempted to date guys who were into pot, ALL our activities more or less revolved around either smoking, figuring out when we'd finish our non-pot-themed activity in order to get somewhere where people could next smoke, figuring out who knew where some additional pot could be procured, etc. It wasn't just a hobby, it was a major preoccupation. It just gets tiresome for somebody who's not into the scene.

I don't have any desire to be with somebody who ONLY wants weekends to revolve around smoking up. Of course, I also don't want to be involved with somebody who ONLY wants weekends to revolve around football. Or ONLY wants weekends to be involved around barhopping and getting ****faced. I'm not that one-note. It's the preoccupation that gets to me.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 01-05-2010 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 03:06 PM

2,486 posts, read 6,068,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Forget about comparing tobacco to MJ... here's a few questions for you SmerkyGrl:

You know that it's breathing smoke right?
You know that any filters used in a MJ pipe turn black with tar right?
Do you really think our bodies like breathing that stuff in?

Burning plants produce smoke - smoke is bad for our lungs and yes, there's all sorts of "bad" stuff in the smoke - you shouldn't need a study to come to that conclusion.

By all means go ahead and smoke if you will; I certainly don't think we should have laws outlawing it - I just personally haven't seen it do a lick of good for anyone except my grandma who was dying of cancer at the time and needed an appetite and some pain relief to live long enough to see one of her grandkids get married.
Two words:

Brownies
Vaporizer

I will agree with you that it doesn't do anyone a lick of good to smoke. People certainly don't do it for their health. But then again, people do other crazy things like skydive, drag race, and hug the gin bucket on NYE that have no benefits on their health either. Its just fun and that's all there is to that.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:15 PM

17,733 posts, read 15,160,780 times
Quote:
Its just fun and that's all there is to that.
But most people tend to gravitate toward others who share their taste for what's fun, right? Compatibility becomes an issue with this, as with anything else.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 PM

7,290 posts, read 8,500,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I agree, although it's off topic, but I find it interesting that alcohol is legal, but pot is not. Anything in moderation is fine, but alcohol has ruined lives even more so then pot, as far as I'm concerned they should just legalize this stuff and call it a day.
I wonder if those people who have issues with pot, have issues with it because it's illegal or is it because it's a drug and if it became legal, like in Amsterdam, would they change their mind about it.

My fundamental issue is that alcohol does even more harm to the body then a good clean weed.

Disclaimer: I am not myself a smocker of any kind.
Why did you post a disclaimer?

Quote:
I don't think anyone here says that marijuana is a harmless drug. Any drug or substance does harm to your body, what we are talking about is that all legal drugs and alcohol are just as, if not MORE harmful then pot, but yet it's used all the time. Occasional joint doesn't do much harm. I would rather hang out with someone who occasionally has a joint and laughs his ass off, then the one who gets drunk and then gets violent. Alcohol abuse brings out the worst in people.
But would YOU get or remain involved with someone romantically if they were a pot user?

Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,885,258 times
Quote:

Yea, it's funny to me how some people will marry an alcoholic before hanging out with an occassional pot user. Seems kinda backwards to me . But thats me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships