Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:38 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Its not criminal everywhere. But I laugh when I think of all the "losers" people would not date like oh...al gore, obama, steve martin, brad pitt, abe lincoln, arnold schwarzenegger, yeats...

In a world as mess as it is...I could care less about it as long as they were not stupid with that or drinking and could get everything else done. Don't blame a chemical for someones slacker crap. Its THEM. They just happen to be high too. Same thing with drinking. Take away the drink and you still have the personality problems, just sober style.
Ding ding ding we have a winner. This is so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 AM

4 posts, read 3,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Its not criminal everywhere. But I laugh when I think of all the "losers" people would not date like oh...al gore, obama, steve martin, brad pitt, abe lincoln, arnold schwarzenegger, yeats...

In a world as mess as it is...I could care less about it as long as they were not stupid with that or drinking and could get everything else done. Don't blame a chemical for someones slacker crap. Its THEM. They just happen to be high too. Same thing with drinking. Take away the drink and you still have the personality problems, just sober style.
Personally, I think that true understanding of anything, be it marijuana, alcohol, cigarettes, etc., has to be obtained from personal experience. I myself used to be drug/drinking free and being naive I thought that the drugs aided or even caused unsavory behavior, when in fact underneath it all its just the person. I realized this when I really looked at my dating history and saw that some or even most of my relationships that have had weed as a factor have been perfectly fine. As i realized this i opened my eyes to my prior fact that true understanding comes from personal experience, so soon after that i smoked my first bowl. Now, my whole life i've been an above average student, in more descriptive terms i'm a writer. And after i researched marijuana i realized that for one, it is better for than cigarettes, especially if smoked out of a water bong, and two, alcohol kills more people in a year than weed EVER has. Alcohol makes you do stuff such as drunk driving, cheating, fighting, and for almost all these, jailtime. Marijuana? You eat a few too many twinkies at best. I've been using the herb for three months now, and in that time i havent been sick, have kept my relationship with my wonderful madison, have written a book, and have gotten alot more friends. Now, say i started drinking. I probably wouldnt have a girl, would have the **** kicked out of me, been too hungover to go to school and lost many friends. Personally, i dont think marijuana is in any way bad, if anything its just the thing i needed. Legalization on it, or lack of, is just a show of how stubborn and simpleminded people really are. With the amount of pot smokers in this country, sale and taxation of pot would help the economy extremely, so close your bibles, get off your elephants and complain about how someone elses life is making yours so darn unbearable Furthermore, If you dont like that your bf/gf/spouse is doing drugs, maybe you picked wrong. Kthnx

Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
I would not care if they did it when I am not around. I think it is fine in moderation and wish it was legal, however I cannot be around it because it is illegal. There are too many bad things that can happen to ruin all of my hard work that stem purely from its legal status.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 3,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I would not care if they did it when I am not around. I think it is fine in moderation and wish it was legal, however I cannot be around it because it is illegal. There are too many bad things that can happen to ruin all of my hard work that stem purely from its legal status.
that reasonable id say.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
OK, here we go.
Short term, yes, you will laugh a lot, and get the munchies.

Long term.
Marijuana contains the exact same carcinogenic properties as cigarettes, but in much higher concentrations.
However, because most folk smoke it with tobacco, data is inconclusive as yet.
It damages cells, meaning you are more prone to infections, particularly respiratory infections.
It can make you paranoid.
It can also cause depression, anxiety attacks, and social problems.
Drug driving is every bit as bad as drink driving.
It is also being investigated whether it has a long term effect on comprehension, problem solving, and cognitive thought patterns.
(basically, they think it makes you turn stoopid !)
Marijuana can also lead to jail time.

While you are correct, in that alcohol kills more people than weed, weed is ever growing, and is becoming more and more popular, and that statistic is expected to change. However weed has more "indirect" effects on the body than alcohol.

The only real fact in your argument is that if you don't approve of someone using weed, then you made the incorrect choice..

Meantime, i'm glad your three month experiment has worked for you. I'm sure there are people in rehab who are jealous of the length of your habit. It's obviously made you expert enough to pass comment.
Why don't you keep it up, and come back in here in twenty years, and tell us how the whole world's out to get you, and you "just can't seem to shake off this cough".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuyWithTheBeliefs View Post
it is better for than cigarettes, especially if smoked out of a water bong, and two, alcohol kills more people in a year than weed EVER has. Alcohol makes you do stuff such as drunk driving, cheating, fighting, and for almost all these, jailtime. Marijuana? You eat a few too many twinkies at best. Furthermore, If you dont like that your bf/gf/spouse is doing drugs, maybe you picked wrong. Kthnx

Last edited by bobman; 02-02-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
OK, here we go.
Short term, yes, you will laugh a lot, and get the munchies.

Long term.
Marijuana contains the exact same carcinogenic properties as cigarettes, but in much higher concentrations.
It damages cells, meaning you are more prone to infections, particularly respiratory infections.
Drug driving is every bit as bad as drink driving.
It is also being investigated whether it has a long term efect on comprehension, problem solving, and cognitive thought patterns.
(basically, they think it makes you turn stoopid !)

While you are correct, in that alcohol kills more people than weed, weed is ever growing, and is becoming more and more popular, and that statistic is expected to change. However weed has more "indirect" effects on the body than alcohol.

The only real fact in your argument is that if you don't approve of someone using weed, then you made the incorrect choice..

Meantime, i'm glad your three month experiment has worked for you. I'm sure there are people in rehab who are jealous of the length of your habit. It's obviously made you expert enough to pass comment.
Why don't you keep it up, and come back in here in twenty years, and tell us how the whole world's out to get you, and you "just can't seem to shake off this cough".
After the part about paranoid the rest of the list is correct. Additionally, there has been research I have read that pot smoking also leads to short term impotence. Everything you list prior to and including paranoia really depends and/or more research needs to be done. Additionally, I would like a source for the statistic that weed is expected to kill more people then alcohol as I have read a lot about exclusively alcohol related fatalities and almost nothing about exclusively weed related ones.

First off, from the research I have read, pot doesn't cause schizophrenia or paranoia, but is one of the things that can bring it out in people who have a disposition for it. Quite simply from what I have read if you do not have a disposition for paranoia pot will not make you paranoid.

Secondly to quote Steve Buyer "Its not the nicotine that kills, its the smoke...If you were to talk lettuce dry it roll it up and smoke it {you would have the same problems}" In this case its not the THC that causes the problems it is the smoke. In fact marijuana has be proven to decrease the likelihood of certain kinds of cancers such as face and neck cancer that are speculated to be related to certain natural anti-tumor agents in cannabis. On top of that the average person who smokers pot smokes something like 1/20 the amount a cigarette smoker smokes and on top of that numerous methods of consuming marijuana do not involve smoking at all. So while smoking pot will cause elevated risks for certain kinds of cancers I have to wonder whether that is specific to pot or specific to inhaling any kind of smoke.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
"Most" folks in the states do not smoke it with tobacco. People usually come back and do this after spending a few weeks in France, because they think it is cool.

As far as your claims, I've never seen anything to indicate that cannabis has the same carcinogenic properties as tobacco.

Quote:
It can also provide relief from depression and anxiety.

In any case, people who develop a tolerance experience neither munchies nor paranoia, much less long term paranoia.

This is like saying: drinking alcohol makes you vomit. It is only true in a limited context.

Quote:
It is also being investigated whether it has a long term efect on comprehension, problem solving, and cognitive thought patterns.
Who cares if its long term efects [sic] are being investigated? That tells us nothing.

Quote:
Hey, lookie, you found something accurate.

Personally I like girls who get high. I also like girls who drink. I maintain my position that marijuana is about as harmful mentally as watching reality TV.

Last edited by le roi; 02-02-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Back in the 70's I smoked pot....or I tried it, didn't like the effects....
I hate not being in control, being high was not for me....

I wouldn't care who smoked it, as long as they don't get behind the wheel...
we've got enough DUI's out there, we don't need any more dangers on the road....

when your high, your reaction time is much slower....

Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Everything you list prior to and including paranoia really depends and/or more research needs to be done. Additionally, I would like a source for the statistic that weed is expected to kill more people then alcohol
I didn't say it was going to overtake alcohol, just that the statistics are expected to change. As I said, weed doesn't have a direct effect on the health in the same way as alcohol, so it's harder to link it.
trouble is, because it's an illegal drug, studies can't be as "open" as with alcohol.
Tests are ongoing I believe.

Quote:
First off, from the research I have read, pot doesn't cause schizophrenia or paranoia, but is one of the things that can bring it out in people who have a disposition for it. Quite simply from what I have read if you do not have a disposition for paranoia pot will not make you paranoid.
My apologies, I accept the wording may have been incorrect.
It maybe doesn't cause paranoia, but it can cause mental health problems which can lead to paranoia.
Yes, if there are underlying problems, it could aggravate them.
I accept I was missing out bits ! I was just giving highlights for brevity's sake !

Quote:
Secondly to quote Steve Buyer "Its not the nicotine that kills, its the smoke...If you were to talk lettuce dry it roll it up and smoke it {you would have the same problems}" In this case its not the THC that causes the problems it is the smoke. In fact marijuana has be proven to decrease the likelihood of certain kinds of cancers such as face and neck cancer that are speculated to be related to certain natural anti-tumor agents in cannabis. On top of that the average person who smokers pot smokes something like 1/20-1/100 the amount a cigarette smoker smokes and on top of that numerous methods of consuming marijuana do not involve smoking at all.
I think from the research I've seen, yes, it does have some benefits to medicine. Sure, it has side effects, but what drug doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a weed hater, personally I don't mind if folks wanna do it. We all make lifestyle choices.
I choose to drink alcohol, maybe to eat a little too much, and to sometimes drive too fast. I also chose to smoke for 20 years, and, yes, I did dabble with illegal drugs.
these will all equally kill me.

If you're gonna die, might as well have fun !!

I just found the post by "beliefguy" to be full of holes, and inaccurate, and felt the urge to correct it.
It's a fairly typical uninformed statement by someone in the early days, trying to justify their habit.

If you're gonna do stuff, it's better to know the risks.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
"Most" folks in the states do not smoke it with tobacco. People usually come back and do this after spending a few weeks in France, because they think it is cool.
Fair enough, I'm not in the States, so i can't comment. Over here, it's mostly smoked.

Quote:
As far as your claims, I've never seen anything to indicate that cannabis has the same carcinogenic properties as tobacco.
It does if smoked. Anything being burned produces carcinogens.

Marijuana - InfoFacts - NIDA
Cannabis more carcinogenic than cigarettes - National Documentation Centre on Drug Use (http://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/8140/ - broken link)
'Cannabis alters human DNA' -- new study

To quote from the last link ;
"because of its lower combustibility it contains 50% more carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons including naphthalene, benzanthracene, and benzopyrene, than tobacco smoke."

Quote:
It can also provide relief from depression and anxiety.
Yes, but it can also make them worse. Prozac can make people suicidal.

Quote:
In any case, people who develop a tolerance experience neither munchies nor paranoia, much less long term paranoia.This is like saying: drinking alcohol makes you vomit. It is only true in a limited context.
You may be correct, I didn't make the point about the munchies, the previous poster did.
I don't get drunk every time i drink beer.
Not every person who smokes gets cancer, not every person who drinks will need a liver transplant.
However, it's a known side effect.

Quote:
Who cares if its long term efects [sic] are being investigated? That tells us nothing.
I'd imagine that long term users will eventually begin to care if they begin to develop symptoms. Personally ? Couldn't give a hoot.

Quote:
Personally I like girls who get high. I also like girls who drink. I maintain my position that marijuana is about as harmful mentally as watching reality TV.
I'm not about to try to change your opinion, I tend to agree with you, however, as I mentioned "beliefsguy" was a little uninformed, and possibly naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships