U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 PM

951 posts, read 972,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
What happened was that women, with greater economic and sexual freedom, began to have multiple sexual partners with a relatively small group of men. Those men left in the cold have either:
1. been picked up by foreign wives
2. decided it wasn't worth it to be with women and withdrew
3. "made something of themselves" only to find that the women of their generation, single after their decade long sexual adventure, are not worthy of all the effort they expended (too old, fat, with children, bad attitudes, etc) and instead try to play the field with the younger women they always wanted(with mixed results), have sex with women of similar age but not marry, or #1 and #2 above.
4. Men in general, looking at the divorce stats as well as being able to get laid outside of marriage, decided that marriage is for suckers.
Well stated. Modern relationships for men over 30 in a nutshell. Women who are looking for a "catch" among this age group, are usually out of luck. What they really need to do is find men who are clueless, to have any chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:50 PM

15,734 posts, read 15,982,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I get full pay 6 weeks of paid maternity leave (about $7,500 and I'm not in a high rank tier)...so do the hundreds of thousands of women in the US Military.... (20% of 1.4 million active duty people.).... oh yeah, and men are now authorized 2 weeks of paid paternaty leave.... And if a doctor puts me on bedrest, I get all that time plus my 6 weeks of maternity leave, all paid. If I have a c-section I think I get 8 weeks. If I adopt a child, I get 4 months paid leave to bond with that child.... pretty sweet deal. Oh, and military members married to military members get a substantial (permanant) raise for having kids, and so do single parents.
The private sector isn't like that for the most part.

I am, however, VERY GLAD, that the military does give you those benefits because I think our military personnel deserve a lot more than they get in general.

I mean look at the multi-millionaire 9/11 widows of firemen. When an American SOLDIER dies in combat, no survivors become millionaires and a combat soldier faces a LOT more day to day in actual war than firemen do in their whole careers for the most part.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
Now, two parents work but they have a lifestyle based on those incomes. With two people working, you have twice the chance of something bad happening but now you lack a spare, non working person to get a job and pick up the slack.
This is very true. In most two income families, one income JUST covers the housing costs. When unemployment strikes, the family is immediately in a severe bind. They now have almost TWICE the risk of unemployment affecting them.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The OP's idea of polygamy being "an extra check" would not last long IMO. Things would just be "bid up" so that soon there would need to be more than 2 adults working in a household.
I expect the next "frontier" is a major lessening of child employment standards. It will be justified as being needed to afford advanced education - just before tuition is raised substantially!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
Quick note: I have never heard of PAID maternity leave. The FMLA only mandates UNPAID time off. In NYS, a woman can get NYS disability insurance payments (for which the very low premium comes out of the worker's checks, not the pocket of a company) for something like only 6 weeks. The NYS disability insurance rate has not had a raise in decades and is probably something around $125.00 per week.
Most other modern wealthy countries have much more generous maternity leave programs, with up to a year off. The US lags in this and health care, in particular.

Too much wasted on Iraq, on subsidizing religious lifestyle choices (i.e. the "war" on drugs and tax deductions for donations and other religious exemptions, mainly used to increase the wealth and power of churches) and corporate welfare at home and abroad to afford these things that people in other countries consider essential.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:07 PM

6,046 posts, read 6,975,472 times
Polygamy is legal...in Utah...maybe?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 PM

1,367 posts, read 936,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post
-It takes a village to raise a child. Children need positive reinforcement, love and care from all adults in their community. These days so many single family/divorced households make it hard for children, they have no one to talk to. As a child of divorced parents, its sucks. Polygyny isn't intended for sexual purposes( in some cases maybe), it is intended to have a secure family unit.

-Monogamy is a new concept. People are not meant to be monogamous, its actual natural for us to have mutiplie parterners. People say that marriage is suppose to between one man and one woman; but if you read the Bible, the Quran, the Jewish texts many of the men had mutilple wives and concubines. Polygyny was very common is history, the Chinese, Arabs, Indians, Egyptains, some tribes in the Americas and Africa all practiced it.

-Men a higher mortality rate:There are more females than males in the world. The perfect situation with one man one woman is simply not a mathematical possibility, some men would have to have at least two females for everyone to be in a relationship. There are not enough men for women.

-Its actually much more benefical to modern women. Women who want careers/ or women who want to me married and don't wish to have children can choose to be with a man who already has wives and children. She can go about her bussiness and work and still have a husband and a family without having to give birth.

-It's okay for someone to have numerous sexual partners/mistresses/baby mamas but it's llegal for them to marry more than one person? If they are married than its better, maybe we would have less out of wedlock births, infidelity.

-Better 3 checks than 2: Ok, lets say polygyny became legal in the 21st century US. As you know most adults work, there would be mulitple people bringing the bread and bacon home for the family.

-As long as consenting adults are okay with it, I think the government shouldn't dictate who should marry who.
Do you mean polygamy? As a student, maybe you should learn to spell it before you try to sell it. And as a concept, it really doesn't work as well as some might think. But you're welcome to your opinion...many times I think even a relationship with ONE person is too much trouble...

Old 01-07-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Most other modern wealthy countries have much more generous maternity leave programs, with up to a year off. The US lags in this and health care, in particular.

Too much wasted on Iraq, on subsidizing religious lifestyle choices (i.e. the "war" on drugs and tax deductions for donations and other religious exemptions, mainly used to increase the wealth and power of churches) and corporate welfare at home and abroad to afford these things that people in other countries consider essential.
You're right! Now we've got Afghanistan on our collective tax-paying backs too thanks to the President!

I admit I voted for him but I am not liking the way things are going because I am seeing his efforts are more for the corporate elite (TARP for the banking elite; nothing for average Americans except the bill / health insurance companies (killing the public option but forcing US citizens to become captive consumers of their product) / military profiteers (more warfare in Afghanistan) than for us, the people who voted for him.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Polygamy is legal...in Utah...maybe?
No it is not.

You may think of Utah because that is the home base of Mormons, but actually modern-day Mormons are against polygamy.

There were some splinter Mormon groups that practiced it in the 1800s (and some groups, not necessarily Mormon but can be other types, that still do with non-officially sanctioned marriages nowadays).

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 01-07-2010 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM

124 posts, read 164,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Do you mean polygamy? As a student, maybe you should learn to spell it before you try to sell it. And as a concept, it really doesn't work as well as some might think. But you're welcome to your opinion...many times I think even a relationship with ONE person is too much trouble...
Polygyny is a real word. It's when a man has mulitple wives. Maybe you should look it up before you post anything about. Polygamy is a marriage with mulitple spouses; it can either fall into Polygyny or Polyandry, which is when women choose to have more than one husband.

Polygyny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships