Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
That's curious. I do not know any men who are intimidated by successful women.
Neither do I. I do know that it's usually used as an excuse by women who get rejected by a man who didn't like her for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm not totally sold on the idea that you can't meet someone at a bar. My sister met her boyf at a bar, so did one of my friends. My parents also met a bar. Granted that was over 30 years ago, but still, it is not impossible.

I do do the bar thing sometimes, but a lot of times I try to meet people through friends. I tried online dating but everyone was ugly, fat, uneducated or unemployed. I understand the economy is horrible now. I am ok with someone who is unemployed b/c they got laid-off...but I am not ok with someone who is unemployed BY CHOICE. There is a difference.

Hobbies? I like a lot of things. I sing and follow a few local bands. There are always some regulars at the shows. I do volunteeing through a jewish organization sometimes but I find a lot of those guys are waaaay too religious for me. I also like to travel, work out, and photography. I also try to look for guys at the gym but generally they are not really looking to chat. They are sort of just looking to get in & out. I'm also not looking for some juicehead...someone who just takes good care of himself.
Ok, so at least you're out there and not holed up inside. You say you do volunteering through a Jewish organization. I'm not sure what they do, but if they have some sort of an event where everyone is welcome, you may want to try there. Are you of any specific religion and only looking within that religion? If so, are you willing to go outside of that?

You may want to look in your local newspaper in the events section to see if there is anything going on and attend those.

As for photography, if you're into scenery photography check out your local hot spots for great pictures. You may run into people taking pictures. Or sometimes there is some photographic celestial event happening, people get together for it.

Basically what I'm trying to say is to make yourself more visible out there and enjoy your life. I know it can be frustrating, I've been there. You just need to be yourself and let the right guy come to you.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Her I some things I love about my wife:

1. She wakes me up rubbing my back.
2. Her hand passes over me luxuriously when she passes me.
3. She is loving and affectionate.
4. She is a good person.
5. She is feminine and beautiful.
6. She is reasonable and rational.
7. Her voice is soothing and arousing.

Now, see how many men are not interested in those qualities. Where else my I get these things?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
USH

15 posts, read 20,653 times
I work in corporate banking which is male dominated. Most of the guys that I work with have wives that are nurses or teachers. And once they have kids, the wives stay at home. I think there is a thread of truth to the notion that some guys don't want to marry their equals.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:30 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Her I some things I love about my wife:

1. She wakes me up rubbing my back.
2. Her hand passes over me luxuriously when she passes me.
3. She is loving and affectionate.
4. She is a good person.
5. She is feminine and beautiful.
6. She is reasonable and rational.
7. Her voice is soothing and arousing.

Now, see how many men are not interested in those qualities. Where else my I get these things?

A good massage parlor! j/k

Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USH View Post
I work in corporate banking which is male dominated. Most of the guys that I work with have wives that are nurses or teachers. And once they have kids, the wives stay at home. I think there is a thread of truth to the notion that some guys don't want to marry their equals.
Some don't. I personally don't mind either way. My wife works and its better as we have two incomes. Plus in this economy, what if I lost my job? At least my wife could pick up the slack until I get another job.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
That's curious. I do not know any men who are intimidated by successful women.

I know men who are intimidated by smart women, and I know men who are intimidated by beautiful women. I also know men who are intimidated by popular women with high social capital.

But intimidated in the dating world, by a woman's success or wealth? I'm sorry but that is a delusion.
Maybe she has 'it all' and they feel like she doesn't need them.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Maybe she has 'it all' and they feel like she doesn't need them.
OK, maybe. But how is that intimidating?

It is sort of the way that my crawdad looks at the fish swimming around his tank. He is not intimidated, but as far as I can tell he doesn't want to mate with the fish, either. The two creatures simply have nothing to offer one another.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Make up your minds.
That'll happen as soon as we decide between having Brad Pitt (just the example that's become popular on the forum; I don't like him myself) or the dishwasher loaded by somebody other than us.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So... a woman that is able to take care of herself, has her own home, and is on financially sound ground, is unappealing. Yet, how many women-are-just-golddiggers-and-any-woman-I-marry-better-be-able-to-support-herself threads have we had on here??

Make up your minds.
I was being somewhat facetious but as usual you missed that by a mile and took it way too seriously.

Being a homeowner is fine by me. Great. But in terms of her looking for a partner, for me being a man on the market I'm telling you in return that yes that is a nice tick in the box, but what is important to me is who they are as a person. I've known plenty of nasty old witches that owned homes and more. But I'd rather date a waitress living in an apartment who has a good heart and is a nice decent person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships