Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:48 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times

Advertisements

My dog and kitties, my mom and dad, my niece, and a couple of close friends. They are very important to me. Losing one of them would be like losing a part of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,762 times
My wife and kids

Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,999 times
As frustrated I get, my wife would be number one. Rest of my family next, expecially the nieces and nephews.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,171 times
Beautiful post, Coolhand. It didn't sound preachy at all. Good luck with your recovery.

My health - It's fragile and precious and I'm dedicated to it. My "family"- the people I have chosen to have in my life. I love them, and I tell them every chance I get. My dogs - they bring me so much joy, every day, and I hope they know how much I love them.

Every day that we have. I learn something from someone every day. Thanks for reminding us.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
I'm glad to hear you've made it through this, Coolhand! We missed you, too.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So I've been out of commission for a few weeks recovering from surgery with plenty of time on my hands to reflect on the who and the what that's important in regard to my own life. Sometimes it takes a scare to nudge you and remind you of the who and what that matters in your life and who and what doesn't. Pending one more test I'm fairly hopeful of a clean bill of health. Whether that's going to be luck of the draw, karma, or the work of whoever has their hands on the controls of this silly world, I don't know, but my fingers are crossed and my mind is in a better place then it was for the last several weeks.

While reflecting on my own mortality and the grueling and often crazy path I've carved out of this life, I thought about not only the people who matter most in my life right now, but those who I may have taken for granted in the past or perhaps invested too much stock into as well. Every so often it's good to take a "relationship inventory" of your life and determine who really matters, and then SHOW them! Whether in some grand or small way, let them know how much they mean to you. If you know you may not have been the greatest parent, friend, or sibling that you could be, a small gesture of sharing what they mean to you can go a long way. Whether it's a hand written note, a phone conversation or even a text, get it out there. I promise you the recipient will be touched.

I'm sorry if this seems somewhat preachy, perhaps I'm just being overly sentimental right now in my weary state of mind. The last few weeks have been mentally and emotionally exhausting. But all too often we get complacent, and some of us may have a tendency to take the who and what that is important in our lives for granted. We may also find ourselves investing too much of our love, energy, and kindness for the wrong people. While an illness can often bring out the best in your friends and loved ones, it can also bring out the worst. I discovered that the hard way these past couple of weeks, even though I suspected it for some time. This is just a friendly nudge from a guy who recently had a moment of clarity and wiped the fog from his glasses.

On that note, I want to say I've missed several of you these past few weeks. Seems hard to believe that anyone would put much stock into e-friends, but we've all shared some fairly intimate and tragic moments in our lives here in the forums, and I've gotten to know some of you better than people I've worked with or have known for years. I hope you all had a healthy and happy holiday season and I wish you all the best in 2010!

With warmth and friendship...

Coolhand
Hope you have a speedy recovery...

Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 PM

174 posts, read 374,119 times
Staying employed and being able to support myself, my cats, liqueur, and the gorgeous hotties on the internet are my priorities.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:44 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Of course my husband, children and grandchildren are most important, but your post reminded me of something I try to instill in my kids, but I don't think it has sunk in.

When you get to be my age, old friends are precious. I am so glad that I still keep in touch with many of the people from the neighborhood where we all lived when the children were little. These friends are scattered across the country from Seattle to Florida and if we didn't occasionally see each other, the precious memories would have been lost.

I tell my kids they should tend their friends like a garden, and it takes a lifetime to make an old friend, but they don't really think it's important.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
Coohand, I'm sorry to hear that you had to have surgery. I hope everything turns out okay for you. I was wondering where you were and am so glad you're back. I absolutely love your post and I think it's a lovely reminder for all of us - it's the people in our lives that are the most important. Wishing you good health and happiness in 2010.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

With warmth and friendship...

Coolhand
Nice post (didn't want to quote the whole thing again).

It is amazing how having tough times helps you see who your real friends are.

Several of my so-called friends dropped down several rungs on the "friends ladder" after my break-up with my fiance, and after I had cancer surgery.

I'm sure I drove a lot of them crazy with my weepy phone calls after my relationship disaster, but my true friends were always there to listen. The not so good ones were telling me to "suck it up" and "get over it" after about two weeks

I hope whatever your health issue was, that you're all better and the test results will confirm that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships