U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,008,881 times

Advertisements

So I've been out of commission for a few weeks recovering from surgery with plenty of time on my hands to reflect on the who and the what that's important in regard to my own life. Sometimes it takes a scare to nudge you and remind you of the who and what that matters in your life and who and what doesn't. Pending one more test I'm fairly hopeful of a clean bill of health. Whether that's going to be luck of the draw, karma, or the work of whoever has their hands on the controls of this silly world, I don't know, but my fingers are crossed and my mind is in a better place then it was for the last several weeks.

While reflecting on my own mortality and the grueling and often crazy path I've carved out of this life, I thought about not only the people who matter most in my life right now, but those who I may have taken for granted in the past or perhaps invested too much stock into as well. Every so often it's good to take a "relationship inventory" of your life and determine who really matters, and then SHOW them! Whether in some grand or small way, let them know how much they mean to you. If you know you may not have been the greatest parent, friend, or sibling that you could be, a small gesture of sharing what they mean to you can go a long way. Whether it's a hand written note, a phone conversation or even a text, get it out there. I promise you the recipient will be touched.

I'm sorry if this seems somewhat preachy, perhaps I'm just being overly sentimental right now in my weary state of mind. The last few weeks have been mentally and emotionally exhausting. But all too often we get complacent, and some of us may have a tendency to take the who and what that is important in our lives for granted. We may also find ourselves investing too much of our love, energy, and kindness for the wrong people. While an illness can often bring out the best in your friends and loved ones, it can also bring out the worst. I discovered that the hard way these past couple of weeks, even though I suspected it for some time. This is just a friendly nudge from a guy who recently had a moment of clarity and wiped the fog from his glasses.

On that note, I want to say I've missed several of you these past few weeks. Seems hard to believe that anyone would put much stock into e-friends, but we've all shared some fairly intimate and tragic moments in our lives here in the forums, and I've gotten to know some of you better than people I've worked with or have known for years. I hope you all had a healthy and happy holiday season and I wish you all the best in 2010!

With warmth and friendship...

Coolhand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,201,775 times
Glad to hear you're doing OK, coolhand. I was wondering where you'd disappeared to.

For what it is worth I agree with you - I realized lately that I am often too busy with inane stuff to give a family member a simple phone call.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:30 PM

7,005 posts, read 18,622,395 times
Who and what is REALLY important to you?

Right now in that particular order, my kids and reach financial stability since I just started a new job.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM

7,005 posts, read 18,622,395 times
BTW glad to see you back Coolhand Luke! lol

Old 01-07-2010, 12:39 PM

4,941 posts, read 7,308,363 times
It's good to see you are still among us alive and kicking! We missed you and glad to hear you are doing ok. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope all goes well with your test.

Sometimes things happen in our lives that test our relationships with an SO, friend, family member so I get where you are coming from. I hope everything works out the way you want.

Best wishes for a happy 2010 my friend!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 PM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Hey Cool! So glad to "see" you back...I had not realized you were having surgery - I hope everything is okay.

Anyone that knows me, knows that my son is at the very top of my list. He's quickly becoming a man, but my concern for his well-being and happiness is still the strongest force in my life. Of course the rest of my family are all very important as well. I am very close with my sister, as well as her hubby and family, and my brother too. My parents live about 30 min away, and I see them often, though not as much as they would like (can you ever see them as much as they would like?? ) I have many close friends that I have known for over 20 years, all very important to me. I have a new relationship with a wonderful man, and he is climbing that list as well.

Family and friends. That is what is important to me.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 01-07-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 12:55 PM

440 posts, read 901,945 times
It is sad that tragic times in a persons life are the times when we usually take a step back and realize who and what are important to us, however, I know just where you are coming from. I was in 2 car accidents in just 4 months, neither of which were my fault. One-someone ran me off the road, the second was on ice. After the 1st one I was thankful for everything in life, thankful for friends, family, my job, the sun, and the clouds haha. Since then I have really made it a point to let people know that I care and love them and be thankful for life in general (I always was, but just a lot more now).

Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,404,187 times
So glad you are back!!! I hope you are feeling better and Have a Great 2010!

It will sound like a cliche, but God is the most important being to me in my life.
Sometimes I don't act like it or think like it, but I really truly love God. My faith gave me strength many times in my life and I'm grateful for it.

My husband and my son are of course, on the top of the list as well. I love my family, I'm truly blessed to have such wonderful men in my life.

What important for me is to stick to who I am and not compromise. I have done some bad things in my life, like really bad things and I'm searching to redeem myself and forgive myself. I want to just be able to work on being a good person and find myself as I'm in between careers now.

Also, I just want to continue being this passionate, fun girl that I have been and not get too jaded.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,965,541 times
My husband and his love are the most important.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 PM

76 posts, read 95,575 times
Who.....
I've found a new zest for life and all the people that have come running since I ended my marriage.
My Mom and Dad, brothers and sisters, friends and coworkers. Its an eye opener. I thought it was going to be dull and depressing but its amazing and sad that I haven't been this close in a long time.

What is really important isn't things its the above and the new love of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships