Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 12:02 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Well then I suggest that you stay in your dead marriage, hate your life and die early and miserable while teaching your kids a very important lesson about...um...something anyway. Make sure to post here every few months to complain.
Thank you for your compassion and understanding.

Quote:
That sure beats the alternative of negotiating an amicable separation with your wife, because that might require both effort and humility.
It might also require a spouse who isn't petty, vindictive, and out to "win." You're going on the supposition that "amicable separation" is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Lucario, as I understand, your wife wants a divorce but you won't grant it, right? Why not go into mediation and use 50% joint physical custody as a bargaining chip to agree to separate?
When she says she wants a divorce, she says that in the hope that I'll just go away and be nothing to the kids except for an ATM and occasional disciplinarian. She doesn't really want to be in a situation where parenting responsibility and say so are 50/50. Since she had an absentee father and abusive stepfather and was basically the adult in her household (she was raised by an elderly grandmother because her mom was out chasing her hustler/junkie husband in the street), she doesn't think fathers are necessary.

Quote:
A mediator can draw up a settlement and custody agreement that you can both live with, and the court will accept--if you both agree and do not fall under the control of greedy divorce attorneys.

My divorce cost me exactly $1,900 in mediation and attorney fees. Assets were split 50/50 and everyone was satisfied.

Amicable divorces are possible and even common.
See above.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,827 times
One of my good friends parents is like this. They clearly do not love each other. His dad works overseas by preference but comes home every other month. When he does come home he sleeps in a separate room and does his own thing. I've never seen his parents be affectionate with each other, I only see them in a room together when it is a social function with the kids.

I also had neighbors growing up that were the same way. I NEVER saw the father even ride in the same car with the mother or even together as a family. It was either the mother was with the kids or the father was with them.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
If that were true, I wouldn't know so many guys who don't have it.
Interesting. Because I don't know any divorced people who don't share custody.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Interesting. Because I don't know any divorced people who don't share custody.
As I said, it depends on what you mean by "share custody." Seeing the kids once a week or twice a month on weekends isn't really shared custody.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Thank you for your compassion and understanding.

It might also require a spouse who isn't petty, vindictive, and out to "win." You're going on the supposition that "amicable separation" is possible.
I stand by my comment. You seem to have a gift for predicting the future and reading minds, so there is no need to even try to do the work to make yourself happy.

Enjoy your life.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I stand by my comment. You seem to have a gift for predicting the future and reading minds, so there is no need to even try to do the work to make yourself happy.

Enjoy your life.
Well, I am rather gifted, that is certainly true.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
As I said, it depends on what you mean by "share custody." Seeing the kids once a week or twice a month on weekends isn't really shared custody.
No. They all drive their kids insane by constantly switching houses. I would think the shortest period of time for doing that should be at least a week, but no... It's a few days here, a few days there.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 4,132 times
My husband gets upset when he wants to have sex and i am not in the mood, he will insult me and ask me to live the
house with my son, this has been going on for the past 15 years, i try to have sex every other day or at least 3 or 4 days a week, he wants it every day or anytime he wants to, he smokes and come into bed this is a big problem i can't stand the scent the kids and me have athsma, ibegged him to bath before coming to bed but no he will not, this making me sick so because of this i have moved to another room, he does not want to talk to me, or wish me happy valentine, does my husband love me or he only wants me for sex?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,132 times
what should i do to stop this behaviour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships