Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
This was the story of my marriage and I didn't like it one bit. I wanted a partner. I didn't want to be like the women in this article and I didn't want my H to be like those men. But that's how it turned out. I wish I understood why. It's a mistake I don't want to repeat.

I know it always takes two and we both played a part. I just hope it's not something I caused.
I'm sure if you think back to how it started you can find some answers.

In my case his other male family members were the same. It's not something that is apparent when you are young since everyone is kind of immature anyway. And it often gets worse with age. Many older men can't seem to make it without a woman taking care of them. It is not unusual for elderly men to fail to eat or manage their meds and die from self neglect. My friend's husband (only 49) will not take his meds or follow his strict diet on his own and if she doesn't make his lunch he will eat off the lunch truck, foods that could kill him. She is anxious all the time and feels like a nurse.

It's hard to understand how this happens - you don't know someone will be like this before you live with them for some time and actually experience it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
This was the story of my marriage and I didn't like it one bit. I wanted a partner. I didn't want to be like the women in this article and I didn't want my H to be like those men. But that's how it turned out. I wish I understood why. It's a mistake I don't want to repeat.

I know it always takes two and we both played a part. I just hope it's not something I caused.
I doubt that you caused it. More likely, something in the way you select your men. Do you make snap judgments about the men you meet?

The men with inobvious good points take time to get to know and appreciate. Men who superficially look good, usually have these hidden flaws. Why? Because they have no need to develop these good qualities to attract women. And its easy to overlook these problems when you are infatuated.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 PM

525 posts, read 947,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Author explores inequality in marriages, offers tips for happier unions.

In "The Superior Wife Syndrome," psychologist Carin Rubenstein explores contemporary marriages and explains how the inequality between husband and wife can damage relationships. The following is an excerpt.

‘Superior Wife Syndrome’ aims to save couples - Relationships

Looks like he's got a great wife! He does nothing.. she does it ALL and still stays..

Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
Looks like he's got a great wife! He does nothing.. she does it ALL and still stays..
That's her story and she's sticking to it. To do otherwise, she'd lose her job as a "journalist"!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 PM

525 posts, read 947,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
That's her story and she's sticking to it. To do otherwise, she'd lose her job as a "journalist"!

I hear ya

Old 01-12-2010, 07:56 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Western society has taken away the natural masculinity of men. Men have seemingly lost the will to fight back in this society because even the government is against men. Look at the suicide rates and life spans of men.

These controlling wives on purposely get with these easy going, weak men.

A man is supposed to be the head of his household.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Western society has taken away the natural masculinity of men. Men have seemingly lost the will to fight back in this society because even the government is against men. Look at the suicide rates and life spans of men.

That is how it was for generations and here is your backlash. In healthy relationships partners can share the responsibility equally.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 34,957 times
Quote:

I'm a bit old fashioned I guess, but I think that since women have become very self-sufficient, men take is as a "given" that the wife will work full time AND still do the majority of the work to run the household and family life.

I know some couples who are able to both work full time, and one takes care of the inside of the house and the other takes care of the outside. There are no children involved so I suppose that probably makes a difference.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,539 times
Women: Are Your Domineering Ways Ruining Your Relationship? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:

Keep in mind that not all of us are riding the role play gravy train. When a relationship includes in emotiona maturity by both involved, such trappings aren't necessary (in either direction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships