Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 PM

134 posts, read 285,235 times

Advertisements

I met a guy on my birthday (Dec. 19th) at church. We both volunteer in the same ministry and was preparing for an event the following day. Long story short, I sat beside of him, not knowing who he was. He said something funny, I laughed and we started chatting. I believe he started the conversation, but it somehow turned into playful flirting. He was being silly, telling jokes, playful insults, etc. Even the day of our event everytime he walked past me he had a smart, yet playful comment.
In between the playfulness, he really took an interest in learning more about me and shared a lot of info about himself (within the first 24 hours I already knew his parents have been married 30+ years, where he took summer vactions, his birthday, etc). Nonetheless I was intrigued and wanted to know more. He left that day before I could ask for a contact info. I tried to find him on Facebook but he wasn't there. Found him on LinkedIn and we started emailing that night. Just like our convos in person, the emails have been playful, nothing heavy or serious. 2 weeks later I see him at another volunteer event and he starts talking to me again. We start flirting and being silly, etc. We seperate, but are still in the same room, he sends me emails from is iphone to my blackberry. So the entire time we are holding conversations back and forth via email from our phones. ( I thought it was cute that he was watching me from across the room which prompted the first email) Also he mentions that he wants me to read some testimony that he'd written over the summer during one of our fasts. He sends it, and I respond to it. Because his parents were in town, he said he was unable to respond back the way he wanted, but would once the weekend was over. That Monday he emails me asking when we were going to have our talk?I sent him my number and told him to call me when he's ready. He said ok. (he didn't cause he was too tired). He emailed the following morning asking if I wanted to have dinner before bible study that week so we could talk?. I was impressed! But wasn't sure if it was a date or not?!?!? We had a great time...but still nothing serious. We don't talk about relationships, love, etc. Its all been about church, volunteering, our walk with God,etc. He seems interested but maybe I'm reading more into this than I should be. We are now up to text messaging. I usually initiate them during the day when i have down time at work.The texting drives me crazy! I wish we talked on the phone, but I'm trying to stay focused and realize we are not "there yet". I asked him the other day when we were going to hang out again and he suggested we attend a "Restaurant Week"(upscale restaurants offer 3 course meals for $30/person) here that starts in a week. Again I was impressed with this choice cause it's something I've been wanting to do.

So how can you tell if a man is interested in you? Are these gestures just typical of men? From my experience they don't seem to be, but some men are just "nice" like that. We both are in our mid to late 20's, but I feel like an 8th grader with a crush, cause I like him! I don't want to ruin anything, so I plan to fall back some because I enjoy our texts/emails so much, If i'm not careful I will text and email all day! Ha! Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 07:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,370,896 times
Your conversations sound like pretty typical get to know you type of thing. I would not even expect much more than that after only meeting someone less than a month ago.

Breathe. If you get together for dinner, enjoy it, and take it as another opportunity to get to know him better.

What exactly are you expecting after 3 or so weeks?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:36 PM

302 posts, read 606,461 times
I would recommend just enjoying the time getting to know one another. Guys don't like to be rushed so you'll need to be patient....

It's always a good idea to become friends first and then see if it develops into something more.

Best wishes to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled1 View Post
I met a guy on my birthday (Dec. 19th) at church. We both volunteer in the same ministry and was preparing for an event the following day. Long story short, I sat beside of him, not knowing who he was. He said something funny, I laughed and we started chatting. I believe he started the conversation, but it somehow turned into playful flirting. He was being silly, telling jokes, playful insults, etc. Even the day of our event everytime he walked past me he had a smart, yet playful comment.
In between the playfulness, he really took an interest in learning more about me and shared a lot of info about himself (within the first 24 hours I already knew his parents have been married 30+ years, where he took summer vactions, his birthday, etc). Nonetheless I was intrigued and wanted to know more. He left that day before I could ask for a contact info. I tried to find him on Facebook but he wasn't there. Found him on LinkedIn and we started emailing that night. Just like our convos in person, the emails have been playful, nothing heavy or serious. 2 weeks later I see him at another volunteer event and he starts talking to me again. We start flirting and being silly, etc. We seperate, but are still in the same room, he sends me emails from is iphone to my blackberry. So the entire time we are holding conversations back and forth via email from our phones. ( I thought it was cute that he was watching me from across the room which prompted the first email) Also he mentions that he wants me to read some testimony that he'd written over the summer during one of our fasts. He sends it, and I respond to it. Because his parents were in town, he said he was unable to respond back the way he wanted, but would once the weekend was over. That Monday he emails me asking when we were going to have our talk?I sent him my number and told him to call me when he's ready. He said ok. (he didn't cause he was too tired). He emailed the following morning asking if I wanted to have dinner before bible study that week so we could talk?. I was impressed! But wasn't sure if it was a date or not?!?!? We had a great time...but still nothing serious. We don't talk about relationships, love, etc. Its all been about church, volunteering, our walk with God,etc. He seems interested but maybe I'm reading more into this than I should be. We are now up to text messaging. I usually initiate them during the day when i have down time at work.The texting drives me crazy! I wish we talked on the phone, but I'm trying to stay focused and realize we are not "there yet". I asked him the other day when we were going to hang out again and he suggested we attend a "Restaurant Week"(upscale restaurants offer 3 course meals for $30/person) here that starts in a week. Again I was impressed with this choice cause it's something I've been wanting to do.

So how can you tell if a man is interested in you? Are these gestures just typical of men? From my experience they don't seem to be, but some men are just "nice" like that. We both are in our mid to late 20's, but I feel like an 8th grader with a crush, cause I like him! I don't want to ruin anything, so I plan to fall back some because I enjoy our texts/emails so much, If i'm not careful I will text and email all day! Ha! Thoughts?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Thanks! I don't have any real expectations in such a short amount of time. I am just excited and anxious because I haven't met anyone that I've been intrigued by in a very long time!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,571,828 times
Sounds like a good start......

Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Awww thanks SexyBrownEyes, that is very reassuring for me!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,004,529 times
It sounds like he's interested to me but time will reveal it all. Be patient, grasshopper.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:31 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,581,370 times
I agree, it definitely sounds like he's interested! Enjoy getting to know him and letting him get to know you; have fun on your get-togethers and just see where it all goes.

Good luck

Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,384,665 times
So many couples have started out first, as friends, enjoy each other's company and see where it may go.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM

525 posts, read 946,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled1 View Post

My guess is that he can probably tell that you like him... I think that's good if you are interested in him.. and I think that being patient is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships