Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,351,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Oh crap, the two posters I really like are bickering!

It's as simple as this statement:

"Beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. "
Bickering is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,650,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Trust me, there is a place for the word "ugly". Ugly character, ugly responses, ugly behavior.
My thread was directed towards physical attributes only.
Those who created this language probably know better.

English is a funny language and the last place a literary geek would go to is dictionary.com.

I saw the first oxford dictionary of my life when I was three. And trust me, they know it. They wrote it. This language belongs to the Englishman.

They always serialize their explanation of words in terms of numeric subscripts, which stand for the order of preference of the meaning of each word.

Here's ugly.

AskOxford: ugly

Let's not kid ourselves with popular revisions of controversial words. But people actually start arguing that LOL is an English word. This is me when all and sundry trample on English ~~~~~~>

Spare me.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Those who created this language probably know better.

English is a funny language and the last place a literary geek would go to is dictionary.com.

I saw the first oxford dictionary of my life when I was three. And trust me, they know it. They wrote it. This language belongs to the Englishman.

They always serialize their explanation of words in terms of numeric subscripts, which stand for the order of preference of the meaning of each word.

Here's ugly.

AskOxford: ugly

Let's not kid ourselves with popular revisions of controversial words. But people actually start arguing that LOL is an English word. This is me when all and sundry trample on English ~~~~~~>

Spare me.
Anything else to contribute besides going into linguistics?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,015,749 times
Quote:
For the record, I knew that majority will not agree with me and I just wanted to hear their opinion, that's why I posted this thread.
Actually, I was surprised the majority agreed, which lit up my BS detector. Somehow that's not what I observe in real life. Just like somebody was saying it's strange that a whole lot of cheating goes on in real life and yet none of it on this forum...

Anyway, I know you don't have a history of being PC around here. If that's how you feel... that's how you feel... I'm sorry for being harsh.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,015,749 times
Quote:
Anything else to contribute besides going into linguistics?
He can contribute to your brand new shining star! I can't do it alone!

Oh, shoot... I can't do it at all! :-(

Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,027,773 times
Back on topic, it would be interesting to do a study that looked for correlations that tracked the use of descriptive words among two types of persons: 1. A kind hearted happy person. 2. A disgruntled, bitter person.

In other words, what I'm proposing is that people who care less about others naturally will be more inclined to make offensive and rude remarks instead of just excepting people for who they are.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

LOL...You have been one of my biggest contributors.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,905,834 times
Quote:

Here, I'll do it.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Actually, I was surprised the majority agreed, which lit up my BS detector. Somehow that's not what I observe in real life. Just like somebody was saying it's strange that a whole lot of cheating goes on in real life and yet none of it on this forum...

Anyway, I know you don't have a history of being PC around here. If that's how you feel... that's how you feel... I'm sorry for being harsh.
I already forgot.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Here, I'll do it.
I got a star! I got a star!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships