Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 10:13 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Isn't it typical that men are blamed for this?!

The fact is, nearly all women want a man who is more successful than them and the more a woman earns, the fewer candidates there are. Combine this with the fact that many such men have already found a wife and there is an extremely small pool of available men. They have their hands full trying to sort out the good prospects from the "less good".
The word you're looking for is hypergamy. In other words women are naturally driven to "marry up". If a woman is successful then she has a smaller pool of men to "marry up" to which is only compounded by the fact that successful men are more likely to be already taken.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Another thing I have begun to notice is that corporate America is restructuring itself to something very familiar. Most women are correct that this is a patriarchy. I would assume we should have roughly a 50/50 ratio of male to female presidents as a prominent metric if it were not the case. CEOs, government officials, and other power brokers are still men.
Because men are the natural risk takers of our species and have more variabiliyty. We're spread out more amongst the edges of the bell curve of life, both good and bad. While women b*tch and moan about men being the primary CEOs, politicians, and so on, they conviently ignore that men make up the bulk of the homeless, incarcerated, on the job deaths, and so on. If women want true actual parity then they'll make up equal numbers on the bottom end of the spectrum as well because emulating the risks men naturally take will inevitably lead to similar results, both good and bad. Currently they only want the good and are getting the govt to enforce their "right" to "equality". That's a bunch of bull. What they're really getting is special treatment and entitlements to the top half of the spectrum without the risks of falling towards the bottom.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,317,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't care if she works--as long as she's not in a relationship with me. I already have a job for her if she is.

See, I'm already playing that role. That's my task, I don't need for her to do that. There are other things for her to do.
You really were born in the wrong century. Also, I don't know a woman that would let you tell her what she could or could not do. I also don't know anyone that would be content with 20k a year. I am glad you are happy, but I would think finding a LTR on your terms would be extremely difficult.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
The word you're looking for is hypergamy. In other words women are naturally driven to "marry up". If a woman is successful then she has a smaller pool of men to "marry up" to which is only compounded by the fact that successful men are more likely to be already taken.
This is your opinion. Most women are driven to marry for love. Yes, women are still motivated by a pure emotion. It is too bad that many men are too blinded by their lack of confidence and drive to see this. Many women that are college educated and in a white collar job are married to men in blue collar jobs. How is this marrying up? It is also not about money; it is about feelings. It is sad that so many men on CD are negative and whiny. It might explain why you are not in a LTR.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,236,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
This is your opinion. Most women are driven to marry for love. Yes, women are still motivated by a pure emotion. It is too bad that many men are too blinded by their lack of confidence and drive to see this. Many women that are college educated and in a white collar job are married to men in blue collar jobs. How is this marrying up? It is also not about money; it is about feelings. It is sad that so many men on CD are negative and whiny. It might explain why you are not in a LTR.
I suppose all that "there are no good men left" stuff has nothing to do with finding guys who earn more than they do given that women are more educated and make more money than the average guy does now....

Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I suppose all that "there are no good men left" stuff has nothing to do with finding guys who earn more than they do given that women are more educated and make more money than the average guy does now....

I think there are plenty of good men left. I don't know where you live, but where I live most men are hard working good people, who don't whine about what they don't have. Instead they get out and work for what they want. If you are not educated, get educated. If you don't like your job because you don't make enough, find another job that pays more. Instead of constantly complaining about women, as if they are the reason you are not successful, become successful. I think you enjoy having women to blame for the things you lack. That way you don't have to look in the mirror and see who is really to blame. Get up off your butt and get what you want out of life.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:38 AM

20,699 posts, read 19,338,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post

Hi smel,

Women typically fall in love with men who dominate their sphere in some way. The larger the sphere, the more women become available. Your statement in bold is nothing more than lip service. Also, as I explained, a womans economic status has absolutely nothing to do with her sexual status. See "incompatible value system". Thus a horse faced woman with a PHD and muffin top may very well pair up with a heat and air conditioning service man. Yet this is still unusual since it takes more than an education to accomplish that kind of honest self assessment. Likewise a few of those blue collar men also realize that money is just a side effect of dynamic men who are charming to women.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 AM

19,590 posts, read 12,193,033 times
Most people fall into a middle area, with a two or four year degree. Take an experiened RN, who may be pulling in 80k, and is attractive. She may well be happily married to a blue collar or white collar guy who earns less. It is not lip service - it is common, VERY common. It is only a problem if the guy feels emasculated and starts acting out or if the woman holds it over his head. Smart women would never do that. Most guys these days are over it but there are certainly holdouts.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Most people fall into a middle area, with a two or four year degree. Take an experiened RN, who may be pulling in 80k, and is attractive. She may well be happily married to a blue collar or white collar guy who earns less. It is not lip service - it is common, VERY common. It is only a problem if the guy feels emasculated and starts acting out or if the woman holds it over his head. Smart women would never do that. Most guys these days are over it but there are certainly holdouts.

The holdouts seem to be on CD...lol.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi smel,

Women typically fall in love with men who dominate their sphere in some way. The larger the sphere, the more women become available. Your statement in bold is nothing more than lip service. Also, as I explained, a womans economic status has absolutely nothing to do with her sexual status. See "incompatible value system". Thus a horse faced woman with a PHD and muffin top may very well pair up with a heat and air conditioning service man. Yet this is still unusual since it takes more than an education to accomplish that kind of h onest self assessment. Likewise a few of those blue collar men also realize that money is just a side effect of dynamic men who are charming to women.

You, contrary to your own opinion, do not know as much about women as you think you do. Obviously, you have not met all of us, and there are beautiful women married to men not as successful as they are. These women married for love. Some men have never experienced the love of a woman, so they can't comprehend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.