Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
What type of men do they have in politics and the justice system?
Corrupt ones.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Yes, divorce him, take the house and most of the other assets. Get an income from the divorce for many years.

Add a good job to the mix and YES, financial security is yours!
That's my point. Back in the day, if a woman could even secure a divorce, she would be shunned by society and good luck getting a JOB.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I really don't thnik so but it actaully improve the conditions for some women in that the husband has to think twice before treating them like second class citizens. Afterall a bad marriage is a bad marriage whether they divorce or not.IMO it was a natural externsion of teh eqaulity women so to speak earned when they became more equal as bread winners.Use to be that a miidle class woman was a divorce away from proverty really.

This was also quoted by virgode, who wrote "Here's a man who actually gets it."

Here's the problem with that: Everyone who's stating this "woman trapped in a bad marriage" stuff is coming at it from the point of view:

1. ...that men generally see women as inferior and automatically treat them like second class citizens

2. ...that the marriage is "bad" because of the LONE fault of the man, which is why this "poor woman" is "trapped".

Many years ago in leadership school one of the things we had to discuss was racism -- for obvious reasons. I recall this one black kid who made everything about race. At one point someone was talking about chains for some topic not even remotely related and this 20-year-old gave a huge, dramatic shudder and said loudly "Don't say chains; it brings back bad memories!"

I wanted to just scream and shake him until his teeth rattled: MEMORIES OF WHAT, YOU IMBECILE?!? YOU'VE NEVER ENDURED ANYTHING REMOTELY AKIN TO SLAVERY, NOT FOR A SINGLE SECOND IN YOUR LIFE!!!

That's what a lot of this Feminist stuff does to me. My ex-wife used to browbeat me during the Male-Bashing 90's with tales of how bad women HAVE -- not "had" but HAVE it each and every day of their lives.

She was the same rank as I, made the same pay, had the same opportunities for everything in our mutual lives with the exception of being sent to combat. I'd have gleefully allowed her THAT if I thought it would do any good.

She was living under an outdated and archetypal DELUSION because she'd grown up hearing this crap and believed it like a milk religion.

Yet when I got sick of hearing it and asked her just HOW she was being discriminated against each and every day of her life the answer was always the same:

"Oh, you don't KNOW. You just don't KNOW."

"Well, TELL ME."

"Oh... *shudder*... you'll just never understand..."

The fact of Feminism (not Women's Lib but Feminism, let me reiterate that I draw a distinct line between the two) is that if a man doesn't behave in a way that pleases a woman, he's a misogynist and a chauvinist and part of a Male Dominated System which is trampling women left and right.

And that sounds a lot to me like the very thing women CLAIM they're trying to escape.

I'll say two more things here and then I'm done with the STUPID topic of poor, dominated women AND with the men who clutch their heads and scream over it like a panda before an earthquake:

1. To every man who's just dying over the way they think women are treating them -- stop putting up with it. That simple, really. Just stop. If it's something over which you have NO control, do your best to walk away and ignore them forever after. You are obligated to NOTHING more than simply human courtesy. You may want more, you may DO more, but it's all of your own accord because you are under NO obligation, social or legal.

Every single woman over whom you're lamenting because she doesn't want children, or doesn't want a man in her life, or wants men to behave as she specifies -- leave them to their own devices, including the battery-operated ones. They will grow old and die off, living unhappily and vilifying evil men for the remainder of their days and meanwhile you're free to find women who DON'T feel that way, who see marriage as a partnership rather than a means for vengeance. You don't have any right to lord it over anyone else but you're certainly not compelled to live life feeling browbeaten or put upon either -- so STOP IT... or shut up because you're doing it to yourselves.

They... will... die... OFF. Problem solved.

2. To all the women who are convinced they've really got it harder: Wake up and smell the coffee. So what if a man looked at you funny and made rude comments to you. You think women never do that to me? Huh? Are you THAT damnably important? Worse, are you that thin-skinned and sensitive? So what if things didn't go your way at the job interview. You think they just automatically go well for men? Only ONE person gets the job and as much as you resent the thought that a man got it because of his gender despite your qualifications, I resent that a woman got it because of hers since quotas had to be met despite MY qualifications. Just what the hell do you think makes your resentment and frustration MORE valid than mine? Huh?!? Again, are you THAT important? In all your quest for "equality and enlightenment" when did I fall by the wayside as meaningless? When did I become justifiable cannon-fodder?!? If you quit your pity-party you'd realize a LOT more men out there than you ever wanted to believe are actually pushing for as much equality as is humanly feasible. "Justice" was not an exclusively female invention.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
That last bit there -- THAT is what separates "Feminism" from "Women's Lib". You put it QUITE succinctly.

Feminism isn't about being freed from illogical inequalities such as lacking the power to vote or the erstwhile verboten nature of certain jobs based on gender.

No, it's about vindictiveness and most of all about POWER rather than "empowerment". It's not about equality at all but about seizing a superior position with an eye for revenge for slights the majority of you have never endured in the first place.

To the end of my days I shall remain an adamant Women's Libber, but just so I shall always spit to the side to clear my mouth of the bad taste of Feminism with a kind of Get thee behind me forebearance.

Most of all, that last bit, which is ALL too common to most alleged "branches" of Feminism, illustrates perfectly why Feminists are nowhere near as enlightened as they purport to be.

Utterly disgusting and worthy of nought but scorn. You've nicely proved the misogynists' point FOR them -- well done!
I think you're arguing semantics, Urb.

I'm a feminist, and I love men and consider them equals. Correction: I love good men and consider them equals. Strong men. Stable men. Solid men. Men with honor. Men with integrity. Men who are comfortable in their own skins. Men who never stop learning and growing. Men who never stop seeking to improve themselves and the world around them. Men who build up.

It's the men who are the antithesis of all of those qualities I don't care to be around. Weak men. Unstable men. Men who lie, cheat, steal, and step on people to get what they want, and to heck with everyone else. Men who feel like they have something to prove to the world. Men who think they know it all. Men who rest on their laurels. Men who feel the need to try to tear others down to make themselves feel better.

There are some awesome men on this board. And then there are the angry little boys. As a woman who is empowered, I don't have to put up with the latter group, nor do I have to go out of my way to try to help people like that "in real life." I don't owe them anything because they are male, nor do I have to take what they say seriously because they are male. Just because they're male, that doesn't mean they're right.

Meh, don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited by Yzette; 06-24-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
most men see themselves like this

but the feminists see them like this

Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Given that the weak men women despise are the product of feminism, do women ever think that they themselves are greatly helping contribute to creating men they don't desire?

We all grew up with female teachers, where you cannot have a ceompetititve edge in school, you cannot play compettitive sports becaues the losing team's feelings might get hurt..

Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Given that the weak men women despise are the product of feminism, do women ever think that they themselves are greatly helping contribute to creating men they don't desire?

We all grew up with female teachers, where you cannot have a ceompetititve edge in school, you cannot play compettitive sports becaues the losing team's feelings might get hurt..
Yeah, right. No competitive sports.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yeah, right. No competitive sports.
You had competitive team sports in elementary school?

All we had was recess, and if a team was winning by too much, the teacher would come up, pick up the kickball, and shout "Everybody wins!"

Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
All we had was recess, and if a team was winning by too much, the teacher would come up, pick up the kickball, and shout "Everybody wins!"
"And whoever doesnt win is a victim!!...yaayyy!! we are all winners and victims at the same time!!"

Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:

Weak men are the product of their upbringing and their own inherent personality or character flaws--the same as weak women.

Also, just because your teachers were female, that does not mean they set the ridiculous policies you're claiming here. That nonsense was embraced by both men and women, and has more to do with politics than feminism. Frankly, I think the best thing kids of both sexes can learn is how to lose gracefully. Failure happens. Accept it, learn from it, grow from it, improve from it, and move on.

Once you get to be a grown-up, however, all bets are off. Somewhere the light should go on, because part of maturity is being able to take rejection without letting it paralyze you or make you bitter. Not every woman who rejects you is a b*tch. If a man is comfortable in his own skin and has a good life of his own, he'll understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships