Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Most women are trying to succeed in a full-time job because the bills need to be paid.

Way back when most women stayed at home, a male breadwinner was not expected to come home from work and start cooking.

But some of you EXPECT a woman to work full-time and cook dinner when she gets home. Therefore, she is now working harder than a man was expected to work in the old days.

Think about that.
I work full time, have a masters , working on another masters, run a business with my sister (part time), pay bills, etc etc etc and cook. I think I am a hard worker.

It has nothing to do with a man. I actually do not have a man, or plan on getting another one (still trying to get rid of my exhusband LOL) and I personally would pay any amount of money to learn how to cook better.

I honestly do not understand what feminism has to do with cooking, or "serving" a man. Cooking is about food. People has to eat anyways.

I do not get it. Count me in the group of people that cook. And I do not have any problems serving food to visitors, male or female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:03 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
I do not expect my woman to be the next Rachel Ray. I would not however stay with a woman who wont even try. That says something about her. And what it says aint good. As a matter of fact, I'm hungry! Hey PJ8. How about you whip me up a hot apple pie??

Old 03-23-2011, 06:22 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's a life skill...I think I would just be turned off by someone who couldn't cook (note - this is different from NOT LIKING TO COOK) because it's a simple life skill every grown person should have acquired. Like balancing your checkbook or changing the toilet bobby-uppy thingie, etc.
Exactly. Just like learning how to change a tire. Anyone that really can not figure out how to follow a simple recipe is not pretty dumb. But not LIKING to cook, well that's a whole other thing. And I know plenty of those kind! My son and BF are pretty happy that I don't fall into that category.

In fact, I just took some cranberry/white chocolate chip cookies out of the oven.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,243 times
Quote:
Most women are trying to succeed in a full-time job because the bills need to be paid.
Get the book called The Two Income Trap, basically since women started working, their extra money started the bidding wars for prime residential suburban property, and good schools.

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Income-Tra.../dp/0465090826

Quote:
But some of you EXPECT a woman to work full-time and cook dinner when she gets home. Therefore, she is now working harder than a man was expected to work in the old days.

Think about that.
I see your point on that, and I don't expect a woman to work 40 hours a week then come home and cook. However, today's woman when faced with staying at home to take care of her kids/husband, or going to work to be a career woman, many today rather be the career girl, and even for the ones who stay at home, they still don't want to cook.

My last GF was this way, she refused to serve me any food, and she would beat her chest that she did not need me because her "career" was more important than anything else. Meanwhile I was still expected to treat her with chivalry (i.e., pay for her meals, pay for hotels, pay for trips).

Last edited by calicali01; 03-23-2011 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
i love to cook, so if i have the time (day off or get home early), i will cook up a storm.
However, i'm not interested in being in a relationship with someone who can't even put something on the table. I mean, it's really not that hard. Maybe you don't like doing it, but you gotta eat. And you can't be eating processed crap or fast food all the time.

It's a life skill...i think i would just be turned off by someone who couldn't cook (note - this is different from not liking to cook) because it's a simple life skill every grown person should have acquired. Like balancing your checkbook or changing the toilet bobby-uppy thingie, etc.
+1

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
You ever think that a lot of them didn't ENJOY doing it? Now they have a CHOICE (your favorite thing to take away from women) and some of them don't want that responsibility.
Man, it's amazing that in 2011 this kind of rampant chauvinism is still alive.
Stan4 Most men don't enjoy going into work everyday (some putting their lives on the line) but we do it anyway because the bills need to get paid, kids need tuition money, and mom needs a new car.

If you women don't like cooking, then don't have kids, and don't get married, then guys like me won't complain about it.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
My girlfriend's husband would complain about her cooking.

My mom wouldn't cook ..
My mom would never cook ...
My mom's doesn't taste ...

How about you start getting head from your mom. He hasn't uttered a word in 10 years.

Yes, I believe most men want you to know something about cooking. On the other hand. I would like to date someone who knows how to cook as well.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
I love to cook and wish I had more time to devote to it but I work alot and it's not always practical. I do like that my family appreciates a good meal and I'm always happy to prepare them. However, it's never "expected" because my husband (and even my son) know that some days wife/mom just doesn't have the energy, so it's time for some take out!

I taught my son how to cook basic things and he knows his way around the microwave. I agree with stan4 who said it's a life skill. Everyone should know how to prepare a meal to feed themselves.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post

I taught my son how to cook basic things and he knows his way around the microwave. I agree with stan4 who said it's a life skill. Everyone should know how to prepare a meal to feed themselves.
Exactly. I cook both because I enjoy it and because I need to eat. If a boyfriend ever implied that it was my duty as a woman to cook for him, then he'd probably be eating ramen for a while. He should know how to cook for me, too.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Um... I don't do it because it is my "role." I do it because I enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it - I wouldn't do it. And my husband would still love me. And I probably wouldn't enjoy it if my husband expected it of me. It's partly because he appreciates it so much that I'm able to enjoy it. We have no roles - we are who we are, and we make sense being who we are together.
I would love to see your face if one day your husband told you he quit his job and he expects you to go to work to pay for everything because he does not "enjoy" going to work, and he has no role to play in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships