Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:12 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times

Advertisements

Of course they can. Some people (IMO misguidedly) say that people don't have sex, but they wouldn't exist without sex, and sex is a natural drive in people. I think it's reasonable to say that if a person hasn't had much sexual experience, then it can play on them.

I don't also think it's limited to America. It's a human thing. Whilst other cultures may have more socially conservative values, they still have sex since they are human, just like Americans obviously. Look at Africa. Africa by and large is a socially conservative continent, but it has by far the highest HIV/AIDS rates in the world, largely spread via sexual contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 07:10 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
People who don't experience love go down the crapper long before they become sexually active. Even if you are not currently in love as a adult , To function you must have a memory of what it is ,what it felt like and what it will be like when you find it.
Babies who are raised by people who don't love them have a high probability of winding up in some kind of institutionalized setting for most of their life.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-16-2010 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: changed "born" to "raised"

Old 01-16-2010, 07:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
How could that happen? They have no hormones so they remain a child forever? If they go through puberty, they will have sexual feelings. Won't they?
Low sex drive? Indifference to it, anyhow.

It's great if I can get it, every day, if I can. But if I can't, it's no big deal.

I don't think it has to affect people mentally to have never been in love, but I could be wrong.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
People who don't experience love go down the crapper long before they become sexually active. Even if you are not currently in love as a adult , To function you must have a memory of what it is ,what it felt like and what it will be like when you find it.
Babies born to people who don't love them have a high probability of winding up in some kind of institutionalized setting for most of their life.
I was never loved as a child--and I turned out okay. I'm really not sure I believe in the concept, but by applying logic to everything, I've made it through life just fine. Love isn't likely to follow logic.

I'm completely in my head, that's all. Problems start when you start thinking with your heart instead of your head.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:59 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Sex is not the end all and be all of existence nor is it love. It can be an expression of love. There are many, many ways to experience loving and caring - 99% of them are non-sexual.

To answer the question directly: yes people can experience depression if they constantly pursue being in love or having sex and they don't achieve it.

note: it usually happens when one is not looking for it.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:06 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
When we try and suppress our emotions, they seek an outlet. Suppress sex in your conscious mind, and your subconscious mind will raise the subject in your dreams. People that try to willfully suppress things are usually thinking about them all the time. When a shoe doesn't fit, you feel your foot; when it fits, you are not aware of your foot. Let life flow through you.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:09 AM

Woody Allen--"...it's sex with someone I love."

Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I think I've actually known more people who were negatively affected by love and sex than because of a lack of it. I've never been in love and I haven't been in any sort of relationship in over 12 years, and I'm one of the happiest people I know. Actually, most of the people I know who are in love and/or are having sex regularly seem to be completely miserable most of the time.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:49 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
True, but I don't feel that extremely long periods of isolation is good either. It's just something that humans need regardless if we want to put up with the BS of relationships or not, the difference is, the desire does not reveal itself as urgent as hunger or thirst.
On what basis do you say we need sex? Obviously it is a need on the societal level, for the perpetuation of the species, but on the level of the individual? You're comparing it to hunger and thirst? C'mon...

Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 AM

691 posts, read 1,427,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Just asking. Let's say somebody never experienced either before. Could they be affected mentally especially in a society like America where love and sex is seen as a must?
Look at guys like George Sodini. He went 20 years without any sort of affection and look what he did as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships