Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
So that made it okay for her to cheat? A person could justify their actions but it doesn't make it right.
Did I say that? Never did I say it's ok to cheat. I was just cheated on in my last relationship, and would never ever condone it. I was just pointing out the OP was trying to make the husband a hero. Actually, he was making all the men look like poor ole guys, and the women to be *******. I was merely pointing out that was not so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Ok, despite Clint Eastwood being in it, this is the ultimate chick flick. I actually kind of like the movie despite being a guy but there's a couple of things that really bother me.

First, she cheats on her kindly husband but then blasts Clint, who is single, because he is getting ready to leave town. He has to because it's his job. Why is the cheater so angry? It's not like he seduced her. She entered willingly into her adultery but she blows up at him because he's apparently not willing to throw his life away to pursue a married woman.

Second, at the end, the brother and sister talk to their respective partners. The brother sees his bitchy wife at their motel and she's angry because he was away for so long at his dead mother's house. He immediately starts apologizing profusely and starts playing up to her, practically wallowing at her feet.

Meanwhile, the bitchy sister calls her partner on the phone and icily informs him she's not ready to come home yet. Apparently, she's mad at her partner because her mother was unfulfilled and was "forced" to cheat or something. So now all men are to blame for adulterous females! That's the take I got from this.

Like I said, I liked the movie. It had good performances but this has always bugged me. Men, take a lesson. If you're a good decent husband, it's your fault if your wife cheats on you.
Um, just so you know, Hollywood is a really ****ty reference tool for real life so maybe just enjoy (OR not ) the movie and think about the themes and how they might apply in real life but perhaps don't be then equating it to life rules to live by.

For the record I've never seen the movie because I am VERY careful about which "chick flicks" I'm prepared to watch. In my opinion they're usually so far removed from the reality of my life they make me angry with myself for wasting a couple of hours.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Actually its instructive. Men have polygamous tendencies, and women have hypergamous tendencies. Occasionally a women will cheat because she does not feel loved or "cherished", but I believe its rather rare. I see women take crap from men so long as he exudes some power and dominion. More often the man she is with has come to be seen as a loser in life. When women see their men lose their job and then deteriorate in confidence and drive, that is the more usual case. If you look at it through nature's eyes, its easy to see why. Certainly when women marry for "security" in the first place, the threat is rather high.

Now phrase it differently and state it as pragmatically from a male point of view as you paint the female POV to be in the given explanation.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
The finest woman I EVER met, a caring mother, a solid and highly successful woman in the workplace, a woman with a real career in the International Security field, a woman I met years ago while working in Military Intelligence in a field requiring a HIGH degree of adaptability and talent, a gorgeous, witty, fun, laughing, wise woman who argued vehemently for what she believes in --

The woman who for over a decade has set the bar against which all other women in my life have since been measured...

I asked her about this movie once and she said "I hate that movie."

I asked why and she responded "It's not that the acting was bad, because it wasn't. And it had Clint Eastwood, who rocks. But for all the trappings, in the end it's about a selfish woman who wasn't happy with her life choices so she cheats on a husband who loves her. He might not have been perfect but he was solid, steady and loved her. And he trusted her. And she cheats on him and women fall all over themselves for the romance of it, bend over backward to justify it -- when they'd be pissed off if the circumstances were reversed."
And that there ^ sounds like exactly the reason I haven't bothered to see it. Then again I'm still cranky about the bs, highly fanciful and irritating "love story" theme that ran through Titanic, which in my opinion, completely ruined the movie and made a mockery of the actual story.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Now phrase it differently and state it as pragmatically from a male point of view as you paint the female POV to be in the given explanation.

Hi Urban Sasquatch,

Pragmatically from the male point of view, do not sell a woman what is on the truck but the man who drove it in. Never, ever be seen as a mere provider to a woman. Do you think that bad boy had a good job in high school? Now certainly as a woman ages, she need some stability, but women want to love men, not what they can provide them. If you have some drive or passion, they stick to you like glue.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:52 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,128 times
Oh man, it's just a simple love story, about a woman who married, had kids, and then, years later, met THE man. The one who set her soul on fire. Except she was already married with kids. So she painfully struggled with her choice - to stay with her family, or to have the passion/excitement that she so longed for. And she chose her family, but not without some regret, of course.

Could be the story of my life, sigh. These things happen, you know.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Then again I'm still cranky about the bs, highly fanciful and irritating "love story" theme that ran through Titanic, which in my opinion, completely ruined the movie and made a mockery of the actual story.
Dontcha have a romantic bone in ya, buddy?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
The woman in the story cheated because this man reminded her of what it was like to be wanted, what it was like to be alive again. To be more than just a housewife living in a rural midwestern town, practically anonymous, with little or no stimulation, culture, or appreciation. It wasn't as much about the sex as it was about this man breathing life back into her.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Dontcha have a romantic bone in ya, buddy?

Well as a matter of fact I do (I'm here ain't I? ) but I think it's kinda gauche to add a superfluous and highly fanciful "love" story to an already romantic but incredibly tragic event like that. Why they couldn't have focused on something a little more REAL I'll never know. NOT to mention I wanted to slap Kate Winslet upside of the back of her head for not getting in the boat when Leo put her there. Then they BOTH might have survived! NOW THAT would have been romantic! If they wanted to make it REALLY interesting they coulda drowned her and saved him!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Why they couldn't have focused on something a little more REAL I'll never know.
REAL doesn't sell. I wanted to see this new movie Precious and was surprised the nearest theater wasn’t showing it, even though it’s one of the theaters where all new movies open at the same time. They might’ve chosen not to get it at all.

Quote:
If they wanted to make it REALLY interesting they coulda drowned her and saved him!
You have my blessings for drowning whomever you want! I'm not particularly fond of either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships