Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
REAL doesn't sell. I wanted to see this new movie Precious and was surprised the nearest theater wasn’t showing it, even though it’s one of the theaters where all new movies open at the same time. They might’ve chosen not to get it at all.
What's Precious about again? I think I might have seen something about that this week but of course forgotten, as usual.

I agree REAL doesn't sell but the story of the Titanic was interesting enough and there were so many side stories they could have focused on that ACTUALLY happened and not some ridiculously impossible contrived love story that never would have happened.

Quote:
You have my blessings for drowning whomever you want! I'm not particularly fond of either one.
To be honest I prefer Kate over Leo (never got over him being the autistic kid in Gilbert Grape. For years I thought it was amazing they got such a talented autistic kid to play the role. So kudos to Leo's acting for that but it made it impossible for me to see him as a "romantic lead" or "heart throb" ) The characters and that whole story line in Titanic should have been the first thing to go in that movie. Drown them BOTH I say!

I can tell I would hate Madison County.

My idea of a great romantic story is Benny & Joon or the Jazz Singer OR Sweet Home Alabama or the sickly kitsch Gone With The Wind. There are others but of course they escape me again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,325,557 times
To me, the movie touched on what happens so often with marriages today. Sure, she did not have to cheat however, I understand her desire to want something different than the life she chose. I think alot of us have those thoughts....the what if's. If you don't, kudos to you for your life turning out just as you wanted/planned.

She wasn't happy but in the end she chose to stay with her family. Can't say that happens so much today. Instead of owning up to the choices one makes, so very often, one is inclined to just "be happy", "life is short"....divorce. Life is also about responsibility which is ultimately what she accepted.

Last edited by seeniorita; 01-19-2010 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 AM

19,629 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Francesca did not belong on that farm in Iowa or wherever. It's probably not uncommon that war brides wanted badly to come to America and found it to be not what they had expected. It is sad to make a wrong choice in life and be stuck, but that would not happen nowadays. People just get divorced.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
What's Precious about again?
Critics are offering mostly raves for 'Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire,' a harrowing story about a young Harlem teenager who is pregnant for the second time by her drug-addicted father and also suffers abuse at the hands of her cruel mother.

'Precious' Movie Reviews

Quote:
(never got over him being the autistic kid in Gilbert Grape. For years I thought it was amazing they got such a talented autistic kid to play the role. So kudos to Leo's acting for that
That's too funny!

Quote:
but it made it impossible for me to see him as a "romantic lead" or "heart throb" )
Same here - too sugary and boyish look for my tastes. These faces don't age well, either.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
I actually never saw the movie but its just the old cliche` from observing the plot.

Now loosely related is to the comment that reality does not sell, I cannot help but chuckle at a classic, "Under a Tuscan Sun". That movie is hilarious.

"Oh, I'll just move to Tuscany with a bottomless pit of money and man muscle until I can land me a Latin lover..."

Lets see the didn't age well and penniless version of that. She'll move into a derelict home in Detroit.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
"Oh, I'll just move to Tuscany with a bottomless pit of money and man muscle until I can land me a Latin lover..."
I know... Cool movie nevertheless.

Quote:
Lets see the didn't age well and penniless version of that. She'll move into a derelict home in Detroit.
This version can be obscure-documentary-worthy at best.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I agree REAL doesn't sell but the story of the Titanic was interesting enough and there were so many side stories they could have focused on that ACTUALLY happened and not some ridiculously impossible contrived love story that never would have happened.
There were (and are) those who find it impossible to believe one of the actual true stories of the Titanic disaster---the Strauses (of the Abraham & Straus department store fortune). Mrs. Straus refused to board a lifeboat in spite of her husband's urging, insisting to him (this was verified by surviving witnesses), "We've been through everything else together. Where you go, I go." And they died together onboard. I've always thought that, in the big Cameron film, that fast glimpse you saw of an elderly couple staying close to each other atop their bed was a reference to the Strauses.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I don't think we as women need to have our butts kissed every hour to know we are loved and appreciated.
Until now I didn't realise that nourishing and cherishing equaled butt kissing.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
Until now I didn't realise that nourishing and cherishing equaled butt kissing.
Every hour of every day? That's butt kissing. A totally unreasonable expectation.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Critics are offering mostly raves for 'Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire,' a harrowing story about a young Harlem teenager who is pregnant for the second time by her drug-addicted father and also suffers abuse at the hands of her cruel mother.

'Precious' Movie Reviews

That's too funny!

Same here - too sugary and boyish look for my tastes. These faces don't age well, either.
Ah yes! I remember now! I heard the sch-peal about it the other night when the Golden Globes was on and thought it could interesting.

Yeah, poor Leo. Just couldn't fathom all the girlies going ga-ga for the "special" kid.

To me he still looks like a boy and I'm not into boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
There were (and are) those who find it impossible to believe one of the actual true stories of the Titanic disaster---the Strauses (of the Abraham & Straus department store fortune). Mrs. Straus refused to board a lifeboat in spite of her husband's urging, insisting to him (this was verified by surviving witnesses), "We've been through everything else together. Where you go, I go." And they died together onboard. I've always thought that, in the big Cameron film, that fast glimpse you saw of an elderly couple staying close to each other atop their bed was a reference to the Strauses.
YES!!! I agree about that scene being the Strauses AND I think THAT was 100 times MORE romantic than some stupid hand print on a sweaty car window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships