U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-19-2010, 07:36 AM

2,382 posts, read 2,283,878 times
Thanks for all the input! Just to clarify - I am no longer dating this guy...it was over years ago. For many reasons other than the lightbulb thing, it just wasn't happenin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Thank GOD you didn't bring him a cupcake!
haha That's actually the thread that inspired mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Hmm.. you want a story about a thoughtful gesture? ..this one went a long way, lol.
Good story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost&Found View Post
Thank goodness it doesn't look like you have let his nutty reaction negatively affect your self-esteem.

Do you communicate much? Do you talk about your relationship and where it may or may not be going?
Nah, it didn't affect my self-esteem at all. And believe it or not, this relationship was very much a two-way street in terms of communication - it was really very good. Or so I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
And make sure you unscrew and take that lightbulb with you when you leave.
haha Actually, the whole thing floored me so I had stuck it back in my purse and brought it back home. He never did replace it the remainder of the time that we dated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
His reaction doesn't make any sense to me at all. It is only a lightbulb. It's not like your are bringing a suitcase full of clothes.
Yep, that was exactly my thought, too! Though you would have thought that was the case...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-19-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I think this may have something to do with . . . "a man's home is his castle" and all that You changing the lightbulb has struck him as just a little too "involved" in his castle lair maintenance. In other words, you taking responsibility for something as mundane as changing a lightbulb is a little too comfortable for him, a little too "wifey". And for whatever reason, that bothers him.

Just for fun Wigirl, go buy a toll of paper towel and surreptitiously set it on the kitchen counter. And videotape his reaction when he finds it. I suspect he may go into a full-blown panic attack and sound the alert from the tower. LOL
Yeah, I think you and the others who mentioned the whole homey syndrome thing are right. As for the paper towels - where were you back then with that suggestion?!?! haha I may have given that a try.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You're not still dating him, are you?
Thankfully - no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
You should have brought him a flashlight.
Oh good God, can you imagine what kind of reaction I would have gotten from that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Seriously...depending on your goals with this relationship, you should probably reconsider things.
Oh, I did Chess...in fact, that was pretty much the beginning of the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
didnt you know bringing a guy a lightbulb really means "i want to have your babies NOW" ?
Actually, it means "you best get to a jeweler and buy me a diamond ring NOW." Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Did you laugh hysterically when he freaked out over a light bulb? I know I would have.
Honestly, I was so in shock at first that I couldn't even muster a laugh! Soon after and especially now...yeah, it's funny as hell. Actually one of my most favorite dating stories to tell because it's so lame

Unread 01-19-2010, 07:42 AM

5,004 posts, read 4,696,932 times
Is it misplaced sentiment, perhaps?

Wow, the things that move people. Evidently for him, it was that "lightbulb" moment.

Unread 01-19-2010, 07:45 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,864,597 times
I'm cracking up. I don't even know what to say to this post LOL

Unread 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM

66 posts, read 60,169 times
You proved you are handier than he is.

Unread 01-19-2010, 07:55 AM

19,026 posts, read 12,625,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
Someone else's thread inspired me to post this...I've asked others this question in the past but am curious what everyone's opinion here would be. It's a story that makes me chuckle

So here's the background - I had been dating this guy for like 6 or 8 months, I spent at least one night per week at his house. I happened to notice that the nightlight in his bathroom was burned out and mentioned it to him the next morning. He said he didn't have any more bulbs. So the next week when I stayed over I brought a bulb because I had lots of extras at home.

I swear on my grandmother's grave, this is what happened:
Him: Whoa, wait a minute...this is all moving REALLY fast.
Me: [with a dumbfounded look on my face] Huh? I brought you a bulb for your nightlight.
Him: I know, but that's just moving a little too fast for me.
Me: Seriously? A bulb? It's not like I brought a suitcase full of stuff to move in.
Him: But still...this is different.
Me: How? I was being nice by bringing you a bulb.
Him: I know, and I really appreciate it. But it's still moving too fast.
Me: Okay then.

More background - this happened less than two months after he sent me flowers at work for no reason (and was the third time since we had been dating that he had done so) and about one month after he surprised me by showing up at the airport after I was gone for two weeks...just so he could say hi and welcome me home. He paid for probably 75% of the stuff when we went out (I tried to do it more, but he was terribly old-fashioned). He really did many thoughtful things since we had started dating.

So my question is - was bringing him a bulb worth a few cents really that out of line after the nice things he had done for me? Am I crazy for thinking HE'S crazy for freaking out about a stinking light bulb?

Feel free to share your similar stories, too
Wigirl, take one of his bulbs home. Tell him you're taking one bulb out and halting the bus

Or take two away and say you're making it decelerate or slow......

Unread 01-19-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Is it misplaced sentiment, perhaps?

Wow, the things that move people. Evidently for him, it was that "lightbulb" moment.
Ain't that the truth! You know, I thought it might have been a misplaced sentiment...maybe there was something else I had done and this was what brought his feelings to light (no pun intended - HA!) But realistically, he was the one who eventually wanted things to go further and quicker and I really didn't want any part of it. Ironic, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I'm cracking up. I don't even know what to say to this post LOL
No worries, I was almost speechless myself when it happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieEllen View Post
You proved you are handier than he is.
Hmm. Yeah, and maybe that bothered him? haha

Unread 01-19-2010, 08:12 AM

6,598 posts, read 5,028,945 times
It wasn't the bulb.

It was when you started singing, "Yoooouuuu lighht up myyyy life..."

Unread 01-19-2010, 08:13 AM

66 posts, read 60,169 times
Ahh, it's all good. You move on and someone better comes along.

Unread 01-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
It wasn't the bulb.

It was when you started singing, "Yoooouuuu lighht up myyyy life..."
LOL Good one, funymann!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieEllen View Post
Ahh, it's all good. You move on and someone better comes along.
Yes...and now I know better than to offer a lightbulb after 6-8 months of dating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships