Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 24,574 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed with lots of the men I have dated in the past is that they communicated with me just fine, via email, but not so great face to face. I wonder how common this is in the technology centered world we face today.

My ex would send me the greatest emails and instant messages. We communicated so well via a computer but put him in front of me and he was a dud. Can you relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
well, I can tell you that both forms of communication require practice. It sounds like you're dating men who are antisocial.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
I can relate. I dated a girl who had a hard time discussing her feelings in person. She was better at it over email. In general, she seemed to prefer the latest technology to communicate (text, IM, etc.) rather than chatting on the phone or talking in person. I think a lot of people use these tools as a way to not have real conversations. They prefer to keep things very short.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 AM

600 posts, read 1,608,858 times
I can definitely relate to that. I am terrible with words when it comes to face to face conversations, but pretty good in emails and texts. When it comes to touchy subjects, I need some time to find the right words. I think my ex kinda made me that way. He misunderstood me all the time, and got angry for no reason, so I preferred to email him in order to avoid misunderstandings. As ironic as it is (written conversation is usually considered more prone to misunderstandings), it worked. God, he was terrible at communication...

Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Discussion View Post
One thing I have noticed with lots of the men I have dated in the past is that they communicated with me just fine, via email, but not so great face to face. I wonder how common this is in the technology centered world we face today.

My ex would send me the greatest emails and instant messages. We communicated so well via a computer but put him in front of me and he was a dud. Can you relate?
I have a really good friend who can write like there's no tomorrow, but you get him on the phone and *epic fail.* Some people are just better at communicating when it's written.

In a relationship...that's a different story. I don't know that I'd care to be dating someone who I couldn't converse with comfortably face-to-face.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:52 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,096 times
I hate excessive texting but I find it better to text with my gf if we aren’t talking about anything serious. Like if we are just asking the normal checking in/ ‘how is your day’ type talk. If we do a phone call, it’s short, and kind of weird, since we’re both introverted and don’t say much.

She and I have had a talk about improving the quality of our conversations. Like Denny, she’s not good with discussing her feelings, and there are a lot of breaks and generalizations in her speech if she has to freestyle them. I find it hard to go back and forth in that manner.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
I can definitely relate to that. I am terrible with words when it comes to face to face conversations, but pretty good in emails and texts. When it comes to touchy subjects, I need some time to find the right words. I think my ex kinda made me that way. He misunderstood me all the time, and got angry for no reason, so I preferred to email him in order to avoid misunderstandings. As ironic as it is (written conversation is usually considered more prone to misunderstandings), it worked. God, he was terrible at communication...
What made him terrible at communciation?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 AM

600 posts, read 1,608,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
What made him terrible at communciation?
If there was any issue at all (even serious issues, like him lying to me and me finding out), and I would bring it up - he would just get extremely angry (whether he was wrong or right), yell at me (not letting me say anything in my defense or explain myself), go to the guest bedroom, lock the door and not speak to me for a day or few days, depending on how serious the issue was. Hence the emails. The only way I could explain myself and say what I wanted to say was through email. How sad...

That's the worst communicator I have EVER met, let alone dated.
I still can't believe I was with him for so long.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
If there was any issue at all (even serious issues, like him lying to me and me finding out), and I would bring it up - he would just get extremely angry (whether he was wrong or right), yell at me (not letting me say anything in my defense or explain myself), go to the guest bedroom, lock the door and not speak to me for a day or few days, depending on how serious the issue was. Hence the emails. The only way I could explain myself and say what I wanted to say was through email. How sad...

That's the worst communicator I have EVER met, let alone dated.
I still can't believe I was with him for so long.
Okay, if he lied to you and didn't even communicate serious things, then yes I agree that's a communication issue.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
I communicate better by email, since I don't have an accent while I'm typing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships