Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 PM

297 posts, read 899,221 times

Advertisements

What I think he means here is that if we train ourselves to consider mundane activities (sitting through a boring class, or washing dishes, etc), to be as enjoyable as having sex, then we can easily live happy lives. And this is at least in theory, possible.

I've tried this thought for the past few weeks and it seems to work. It also helped me realize that not being such a "pimp" wasn't a bad thing after all.

But then again, this might just be one of those "temporary" solutions I've found throughout the course of my life that only provide a transient sense of happiness, and then once the thought doesn't feel that novel anymore, the feeling disappears.

What do you guys think about this quote?

Last edited by avant-garde; 01-20-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
Did he even have a believable world map or eat anything other than general tao chicken to speak for the rest of humanity?!?!?

Frankly, Confucius can go take a hike up the Brahmaputra

Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
What I think he means here is that if we consider mundane activities (sitting through a boring class, or washing dishes, etc), to be as enjoyable as having sex, then we can easily live happy lives.

I've tried this thought for the past few weeks and it seems to work. It also helped me realize that not being such a "pimp" wasn't a bad thing after all.

But then again, this might just be one of those "temporary" solutions I've found throughout the course of my life that only provide a transient sense of happiness, and then once the thought doesn't feel that novel anymore, the feeling disappears.

What do you guys think about this quote?

Well, I'm not a guy................

BUT I will tell you if a man I was with thought having sex with me was as enjoyable as washing dishes......um, Houston...we have a problem!

Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
What I think he means here is that if we train ourselves to consider mundane activities (sitting through a boring class, or washing dishes, etc), to be as enjoyable as having sex, then we can easily live happy lives. And this is at least in theory, possible.
How did that quote lead you to this conclusion?

I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong, I just..uh.. am confused. Looks to me like he's saying that sex is better than even the best intangible ideas.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:03 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,998 times
Where'd I leave that "WTF" button ??.......................................

Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Oh, then they haven't met TVSG.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,556 times
Confucius is Chinese for CONFUSED. That statement is about as meaningful as a message in a fortune cookie.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
How did that quote lead you to this conclusion?

I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong, I just..uh.. am confused. Looks to me like he's saying that sex is better than even the best intangible ideas.
Well, having read the Analects of Confucius, I can tell you that this is NOT what he had in mind.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:12 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
Virtue vs. Sex? Sounds like he's a keen observer of human nature. Think of all the high-profile personalities out there who have found themselves in the same predicament.

Rarely does making the right decision about issues such as marital fidelity make the news. Tiger chooses wife over party girls? Governor avoids Argentine mistress to spend more time with his wife? President dodges willing intern to focus on matters of State?

Umm, it's just not newsworthy, even though there are plenty of people who do make the right decision, we just don't read about it...too boring.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Hmmm I also forgot to add that it seems that if you tell yourself "this is the only thing I've ever known" whenever you're doing something (even if it's as simple as walking or doing history homework), then it becomes that much more enjoyable. As opposed to comparing what you're currently doing with the "better" things you could be doing. Just an observation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships