Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times

Advertisements

So how exactly is a child's upbringing improved by the parents being married as oppossed to living together?

People are going to be good parents or they are going to be bad parents. Their marital status has nothing to do with how well they bring up a child.

40% of all births in the U.S. are out-of-wedlock and this percentage is increasing. It is not the 1900s anymore. Come into the 21st. century. It is not so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Railing against marriage is the new black. People look at it much the same as they do religion these days ... a buy-in to an archaic and ridiculous tradition.

Funny though how the more progressive and independent our society becomes, the less civilized we seem to be. We've given up subscribing to the commandments that dictate more peaceful living, we no longer believe in marriage no matter how many benefits come along with it, and since we began sparing the rod and spoiling our kids, they've become undisciplined little hoodlums who get away (literally) with murder.

Society is reaping some pretty crappy rewards for all the independence that we demand.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Um, no. We should NOT be equal under the law. Gee, think what would happen in platonic roommate situations where it goes bad. Now you have roommates claiming they should be treated the same as married couples because one is trying to be vindictive against the other.

And many people change partners/roommates like a woman changes her clothes. So every single shackup/roommate should be treated like a married partner? That's just stupid. There's a reason why people shack up... so they don't lose what's theirs to the spouse. And roommates risk losing what they shouldn't in the first place.
I meant people in stable relationships and I assumed it would be read as such. For example in many European countries a relationship is deemed to be stable and long term after a set time.

Why should someone who got married after a drunken one night stand in Vegas be considered more worthy of society's ( and its associated benefits) approval than someone like myself who lived with someone for 21 years , happy, faithful and in a very stable relationship ? That to me makes no sense at all. And is really quite an offensive concept.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I meant people in stable relationships and I assumed it would be read as such. For example in many European countries a relationship is deemed to be stable and long term after a set time.

Why should someone who got married after a drunken one night stand in Vegas be considered more worthy of society's ( and its associated benefits) approval than someone like myself who lived with someone for 21 years , happy, faithful and in a very stable relationship ? That to me makes no sense at all. And is really quite an offensive concept.

YOU may have been stable for 21 years, but the majority of shack-ups aren't. We don't change laws/customs because of a very small minority. You want to be viewd as worthy, then GET "worthy."

Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I think sometimes it's a matter of being able to qualify for financial assistance(welfare). But probably even more common is one of the partners having bad credit. If they get married, their credit gets married too. One of the partners may have huge debt or be responsible for child support. Perhaps one of them owns a business as a partnership or sole proprietor. Something that makes it risky to join their finances.

There was a thread the other day about a woman who worked, saved, and bought a house with her own money. But now her new husband will claim 1/2 of it should they divorce.

It can be a smart decision to stay single if your credit is good and his sucks.....or vice versa.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:14 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think sometimes it's a matter of being able to qualify for financial assistance(welfare). But probably even more common is one of the partners having bad credit. If they get married, their credit gets married too. One of the partners may have huge debt or be responsible for child support. Perhaps one of them owns a business as a partnership or sole proprietor. Something that makes it risky to join their finances.

There was a thread the other day about a woman who worked, saved, and bought a house with her own money. But now her new husband will claim 1/2 of it should they divorce.

It can be a smart decision to stay single if your credit is good and his sucks.....or vice versa.
Not to mention tax liabilities. A friend of mine's landlord just had to declare bankruptcy over back taxes and such. His wife told my friend that the IRS is docking her paycheck, too, even though he owed the back taxes before she married him. She's really ticked and you can't blame her.

Funny that since the OP here seems to love making blanket statements and judgments about other people's relationships, this nasty little aspect seems to have escaped her.

Marriage is a huge risk, especially during a recession/bad economy. That other person and his or her history can drag you WAY down into the mire.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
People have been asking me that for years. We haven't gotten married yet because I had some credit issues and we wanted to take care of all of that before we tied ourselves together.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Not to mention tax liabilities. A friend of mine's landlord just had to declare bankruptcy over back taxes and such. His wife told my friend that the IRS is docking her paycheck, too, even though he owed the back taxes before she married him. She's really ticked and you can't blame her.

Funny that since the OP here seems to love making blanket statements and judgments about other people's relationships, this nasty little aspect seems to have escaped her.

Marriage is a huge risk, especially during a recession/bad economy. That other person and his or her history can drag you WAY down into the mire.
A friend of a friend yours made a poor choice selecting a partner, and you blame the institution of marriage? Bed down with the wrong person and there will always be consequences.
It is always a good idea to know someone before becoming intimate with them.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:01 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
A friend of a friend yours made a poor choice selecting a partner, and you blame the institution of marriage? Bed down with the wrong person and there will always be consequences.
It is always a good idea to know someone before becoming intimate with them.
Sorry, but considering the high percentage of marriages that end in divorce or annulment, it seems there must be an awful lot of people who have hidden some undesirable attributes. Apparently, many aren't as perfect as you.

And before you go there, no, I'm not divorced. I choose not to marry.

I also believe that parenthood and marriage may not be concurrent callings. There are MANY people who are absolutely excellent parents and HORRIBLE spouses and this is especially true among women. How many men are virtually neglected once the kids come along because wifey is all into being "mommy" and puts that way above her role as wife?

I've also known people who were excellent marriage partners and HORRIBLE parents. They had one or two kids because they felt it was expected, and not because they had any huge desire to parent. Their kids reflected that negligence, too.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:45 PM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Every citizen should have the same rights. It is unfortunate that some do not want equal rights and benefits for singles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships