U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2010, 07:28 AM

5,412 posts, read 1,155,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
How could you NOT use it in a "negative" way? Manlet. The very addition of the suffix "let" means something less than a full-fledged man. It's a diminutive suffix. Piglet, starlet, applet...all perfectly appropriate and easily understood. But to attach it to the word "man"...of course it's negative. It's a slam.
In german, the "lein" form isn't meant to be derogatory.. Thought some women take offense to being called Frauelein
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,423,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
In german, the "lein" form isn't meant to be derogatory.. Thought some women take offense to being called Frauelein

In 'merican, its self-application means you are going to get laughed at.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:34 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,809,941 times
Whether he's a man, boy, manlet, or whatever, I can't help wondering if he's going to sit about, for his whole life, moaning about how nobody likes him, and chicks don't dig him.

Self pity and self degradation are all well and good, but for us casual readers. they get tedious after a bit.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 AM

17,597 posts, read 16,442,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Starlets don't take offense either. And I doubt piglets would if they could talk. The suffix is diminutive. Use it with the word "man" and you get exactly what you have on this thread.

Yanno, if you really like the word (and it seems that you do), then print it on a t-shirt front and back, and wear it. I'm sure you'll get lots of girls then.
I think you've gotten the point by now.

Or maybe it's just over your head.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 AM

6,766 posts, read 7,420,432 times
Quote:

Or maybe it's just over your head.
Literally? Lol. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 AM

2,036 posts, read 3,038,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Literally? Lol. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
LMAO!!..<slaps knee and touches nipple> tee hee

Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 AM

6,766 posts, read 7,420,432 times
Quote:
How could you NOT use it in a "negative" way? Manlet. The very addition of the suffix "let" means something less than a full-fledged man. It's a diminutive suffix. Piglet, starlet, applet...all perfectly appropriate and easily understood. But to attach it to the word "man"...of course it's negative. It's a slam.
Ok like I said, it is a term for a short guys AFAIK, and nothing else. The short girls are called Chicklets. It's just internet lingo, I always thought it was kinda funny.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 AM

20,737 posts, read 17,856,651 times
Quote:
Ok like I said, it is a term for a short guys AFAIK, and nothing else. The short girls are called Chicklets. It's just internet lingo, I always thought it was kinda funny.
I doubt many guys appreciate being called "little man" or anything like that.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,809,941 times
I must admit, I thought labels like that were tongue in cheek.

It worries me that there are people out there who take it seriously, they live their lives by that mantra

Quote:

Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM

547 posts, read 491,807 times
That's a new one. I am 5'11" and never felt "short". OP says anything below 6'0" is short (manlet) but I think that height is probably average. Honestly it seems to me that height is the last problem of the OP.
I think if you are 5'4" you are short. If you are 5'7"+ you are just not tall. Want to meet women? Stop overthinking and get out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships