U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 AM

18,953 posts, read 15,704,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
I have taken years of criminology study and one thing that always stuck out to me, that might reflect on the hypocritical style posts above me is this..........Most all adult people in this country have violated the law in a capacity, at some point in their life, that would warrant a felony conviction.
I, too, studied criminology. Then I went into law enforcement. Most people have committed an infraction now and then and some people have done something that rises to the level of a misdemeanor but few have committed felonies.

FloridaDreamer, you need to understand that only a relative handful go to prison for their first felony unless it's a serious or violent crime. Most have numerous prior convictions resulting in supervised probation, juvenile hall, county jail time, etc. before they are ever sentenced to prison.

One thing cops usually joke about is that you can always tell when a criminal is lying because his or her lips move. There's more truth to that than you know.

As to the issue of protecting what's yours, that can be dicey in CA with its laws. Protecting your home, belongings or family sometimes is treated almost as a crime itself. I'm thankful that the state to which I moved has a CCW must issue policy as well as a castle doctrine.

I really have to question why anyone would want to get involved with a convicted felon -- someone who obviously is less than honest, less than bright, has lost certain civil rights, probably keeps bad company, will have trouble finding a job, if they even try, is subject to warrantless searches of themselves, their vehicles and their domicile, etc. There are too many decent, honorable and law-abiding people out there to waste your time and energy on someone who's proven to be otherwise. I can only see risking it for the thrill!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:57 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,939,256 times
I have dated and have several friends who have done time. All of them are really good guys. Some of the best people I know, in fact.

But ,what did he go down for, is the big question?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I really have to question why anyone would want to get involved with a convicted felon -- someone who obviously is less than honest, less than bright, has lost certain civil rights, probably keeps bad company, will have trouble finding a job, if they even try, is subject to warrantless searches of themselves, their vehicles and their domicile, etc. There are too many decent, honorable and law-abiding people out there to waste your time and energy on someone who's proven to be otherwise. I can only see risking it for the thrill!
You are quite obviously out of touch with half the folks you send to prison.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
You are quite obviously out of touch with half the folks you send to prison.
And here I thought that the only way you'd get arrested or cited in Texas for throwing a beer can out the window of your car was if it still had beer in it!

Not really. Worked the prisons and worked the streets. By and large, those behind bars were there for a reason and deserved to be. Of course, those I arrested all said they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I agreed. The wrong place was where I was and the wrong time was when I was there.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 AM

7,472 posts, read 5,934,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I met someone online recently that just got out of prison about 6 months ago. Seems he has a few issues to work through, but other than that seems like a really good guy. Has anyone ever dated someone that had been in prison, for something more serious than a DUI? Did you find it off putting that they had a record?

Up to this point, I've decided not to pursue anything but friendship with him, simply because of said issues, but I'd like some input on this please.
Sounds like you are a big hearted person who likes to help people.

You need to discontinue this relationship even if it's just a friendship.

Just my thoughts.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And here I thought that the only way you'd get arrested or cited in Texas for throwing a beer can out the window of your car was if it still had beer in it!

Not really. Worked the prisons and worked the streets. By and large, those behind bars were there for a reason and deserved to be. Of course, those I arrested all said they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I agreed. The wrong place was where I was and the wrong time was when I was there.
I can't argue with that as far as the majority goes but why don't you feel they deserve a second chance?

I like the texas/beer comment. Hella funny!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I can't argue with that as far as the majority goes but why don't you feel they deserve a second chance?
Yes I do. However, it was a rare felon who was a fish (first-termer). I do know some who straightened themselves out, and their lives, after a TOP (taste of prison) but sadly, they were in the minority. The longer or more multiple the sentence(s), the more flawed they became. Prison is Crime U.

My experiences were also in California and I worked narcotics and street and prison gangs so we're talkin' career criminals for the most part. Suffice it to say, they were not model citizens!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-10-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 AM

yeah, gangs suck.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM

3,857 posts, read 5,093,830 times
Quote:

I like the texas/beer comment. Hella funny!
Why date them when there are plenty of other fish in the sea? I don't want to deal with that type of baggage. Besides all of the ex-cons that I have come across are not my type.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Why date them when there are plenty of other fish in the sea? I don't want to deal with that type of baggage. Besides all of the ex-cons that I have come across are not my type.

Why not if they are worth it?
I'm not saying they are all good. But some of them are.
A lot are scum and should stay in prison or get deported back to their homelands.

How many ex cons have you actually gotten to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships