Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 04:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This statistic is thrown out there time and time again, and it doesn't take into account the reason for filing. Rather than the statistic reflecting maliciousness on the part of women, it may just reflect a tendency for men to remain in an unhappy relationship as long as their basic needs are being met. Why rock the boat?
From what I can tell, the point of the statistic being used is so the troubled can insert their opinions as to the cause of filing. As if they know. That's the issue, not the citation itself and unfortunately this point is ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
From what I can tell, the point of the statistic being used is so the troubled can insert their opinions as to the cause of filing. As if they know. That's the issue, not the citation itself and unfortunately this point is ignored.

Hi Braunwyn,

No you see its not. I already explained it, and its obvious. Its not some complex circumlocutory tactic. The concept of marriage was an exchange for a man's exclusive resources for a woman's exclusive fidelity. A modern marriage can secure the assets but does not seem to secure the fidelity. Thus in the current social context, the provider tends to lose compared to the historical trend. Right, wrong, up, down and sideways it still represents a poorer relative proposition. At the end of the day, one who makes 50k with a 10% raise it happier than one who makes 100k with a 10% pay cut.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM

39 posts, read 143,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
This may be off-topic, but I have a question: what is it that makes the "crazy" so attractive? I know at least several women who are nuts. They know it, I know it, yet they're always in some sort of relationship where they torment some poor guy (who's often given fair warning before jumping into it). I also know several guys who are very nice, sweet, etc, yet consistently end up with nut jobs.
Allow me, for the sake of simplicity, to classify crazies as "bad women" and sweet guys as "nice guys" (obviously this can vary, but lets just assume this for now).

The "nice guys" get turned down by a lot of girls because many girls find them boring, the girls are more attracted to the "bad boys", etc. The "bad women" can't get a lot of dates because of their personalities, and the guys they go after can easily turn them down. Therefore, the "nice guys" and "bad women" eventually become desperate and turn towards each other. The "bad woman" is able to supply the "nice guy" with attention from the opposite sex (something he was lacking in his lifetime or else he wouldn't be pursuing a female) and "nice guy" is able to give "the bad woman" a punching bag that will deal with her personality flaws (god damn, this post sounds so mysogynistic lol). So there you go. Both needs are supplied and you have a match made in heaven....or is it?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta_male View Post
Allow me, for the sake of simplicity, to classify crazies as "bad women" and sweet guys as "nice guys" (obviously this can vary, but lets just assume this for now).

The "nice guys" get turned down by a lot of girls because many girls find them boring, the girls are more attracted to the "bad boys", etc. The "bad women" can't get a lot of dates because of their personalities, and the guys they go after can easily turn them down. Therefore, the "nice guys" and "bad women" eventually become desperate and turn towards each other. The "bad woman" is able to supply the "nice guy" with attention from the opposite sex (something he was lacking in his lifetime or else he wouldn't be pursuing a female) and "nice guy" is able to give "the bad woman" a punching bag that will deal with her personality flaws (god damn, this post sounds so mysogynistic lol). So there you go. Both needs are supplied and you have a match made in heaven....or is it?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 AM

116 posts, read 83,866 times
SIMPLE ANSWER:

Frustration resulting from the feminist movement going *way* too far. Women nowadays can not only have their cake, but they can eat it too. They've been bashing men for years, fathers 9/10 times get the short end of the s*** stick after a divorce.

Women have far more choices than men in life. They can be independent, or they can still be the helpless princess or damsel in distress. They can be as feminine or as masculine as they want. It is more socially acceptable for a woman to be a lesbian than a man to be gay. Women are free to express their emotions, while men are repressed. A single woman is often seen as strong and independent, while a single man is often cast aside as a loser or a loner.

Seriously, are you surprised? Keep sweeping these problems under the rug and it'll just make matters worse.

p.s. I am all for equality, but the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Braunwyn,

No you see its not. I already explained it, and its obvious. Its not some complex circumlocutory tactic. The concept of marriage was an exchange for a man's exclusive resources for a woman's exclusive fidelity. A modern marriage can secure the assets but does not seem to secure the fidelity. Thus in the current social context, the provider tends to lose compared to the historical trend. Right, wrong, up, down and sideways it still represents a poorer relative proposition. At the end of the day, one who makes 50k with a 10% raise it happier than one who makes 100k with a 10% pay cut.
Yes, I see that it is. I made the response after reviewing a post 1-2 pages back that did exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Lately it seems every other thread on here is filled with angry, often mysogynistic rants against women. These posts/threads reek of bitterness and discontentment. Why the need to blame an entire gender for the bad behavior or bad experiences with a few? I've heard that women are notorious for "man-bashing"(which is inexcusable as well) but all I see on here as of late is the opposite with thread topics of exhorting men to "never get married", plus the usual "women are superficial gold-diggers". Geez, don't you think it's getting a little old? I have personally had some very negative and hurtful experiences with men, but I would NEVER blame the male gender for my problems or hold any group or even any individual responsible for the foul acts of a few men. Has anyone else noticed the preponderance of these negative anti-women threads? What do you think?
It's the equality backlash....when any "underdog" group starts getting uppity , demanding rights and getting them, the group in power gets scared, fights back in fear.

Workers want decent pay?, the execs demonize the unions or the workers themselves.

Blacks want equal rights?...out come the dogs and fire hoses.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,596 times
Cuz im the son of Adam lolz ..wouldnt have been here if he didnt listen to Eve ..and probably would have enjoyed in heaven ..pfft lolz .. no seriously women are women .. and u cant spell them without a man or men in it lol ..woo hoo hoo .. we love u we hate u but we cant ignore u ..so where are te ladies ..lets go booty shakin' ..a 1 a 2 a 1234 lol ..cha cha chaa lolz

Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yes, I see that it is. I made the response after reviewing a post 1-2 pages back that did exactly what I'm talking about.
Hi Braunwyn,

You are talking about one individual poster. Certainly a fact can be abused by an individual. I could not possibly care less. I am speaking of the fact itself and why men are less satisfied with marriage as it is now.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Braunwyn,

You are talking about one individual poster. Certainly a fact can be abused by an individual. I could not possibly care less. I am speaking of the fact itself and why men are less satisfied with marriage as it is now.
And I'm speaking of why many on this forum cite the stat. It's coupled with baggage and opinions. As far as men not being satisfied with marriage...it seems to be equal dissatisfaction on both sides for some, tho, I don't believe that is the reasoning behind why women primarily file. I believe a lot of these women, those who initiate filing, are more open to change or at least have the motivation. All of the women I know that initiated divorce (family, one friend, and another that moved for separation) had nothing to financially gain. Their SO's were pretty much lazy about it, the marriage, and their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships