Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,234,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
Frankly, I think we are all guilty of generalizing our individual experiences to the world. So when one of us hears, "All men/women/children/aliens do/are/have X" we get the urge to say, "Not true. I/my friend/my family etc.never do/are/have X, we do/are/have Y" and then hunt up research to show why our experiences are the norm.
+ 11,473,692
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,506,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
At times, women posting on this site have tried to deny that they occurred.
Where have you seen this? I have not, but I don't read every single post on this forum. Since you have, please post an example. By the way, pointing out the reality that there are women who don't engage this behavior doesn't count.

And "At times" doesn't support flipping to such extremes.

Quote:
This isn't debate, just sophistry.
You betcha.

Quote:
Other than that, there:
1) is a lot of shaming language going on.
This just another example of how you accept no responsibility, but this is nothing new.

And, I'm reaching again, but let's try and be logical. What is the point of shaming someone who is proud of their position? You kids are clearly comfortable with it and believe every bit of it. Why would anyone bother to try and shame you?

Quote:
2) women trying to convince us that their relationship monopoly powers are good for us and we need to continue to jump at the opportunity for more.
"Women trying to convince us." What happened to "I have my experiences and observations."?

Quote:
3) a really desperate fear that the cats out of the bag and it will be very painful to put it back.
Just as delusional as thinking that anyone with half a brain doesn't see through all this. Regardless, you guys are not going to stop the malice and deception that certain women make a life of anymore that we can stop you from yours.

But let's forget reason for a minute and use your logic. What exactly is there to fear when we have already have the power to manipulate the entire judicial system and take your kids, your money, your homes, your cars, leave you with nothing but the clothes on your back, oppress you and turn you all into raving lunatics? By your own reasoning, we'll just chew you up and spit you out, again. I don't see any need for fear there, let alone desperate fear. You will lose, again.

Quote:
I suppose that after 4 decades of being supported by largely bogus academic research from the women's studies programs, its a little difficult to come up with good, well reasoned arguments now that men are finally catching on and fighting back.
I'm pretty sure that George Sodini felt the same way before he went on a murderous rampage at LA Fitness. 30 million women rejected him.

This also implies that you guys are important enough to target which, BTW, isn't much different than what you are doing now. I think it is safe to say that most of us don't know 30 million men to care that they even exist, let alone waste valuable time going after them. You guys just don't matter that much. That's not meant to be an insult, that is just a reality of life.

When you fight fictional monsters, you get fictional victory. Yay for Superman.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:47 AM

740 posts, read 1,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But, Gwynned, sharing anecdotes and experiences is the hallmark of a good conversation. This thread has devolved into people preaching and lecturing each other, trying to prove themselves right and others wrong, with an adversarial affect. This is an internet forum, not an academic conference.
And the funny thing is we all know we are not going to change anyone's mind yet we keep beating the poor deceased equine

Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,234,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
This also implies that you guys are important enough to target which, BTW, isn't much different than what you are doing now. I think it is safe to say that most of us don't know 30 million men to care that they even exist, let alone waste valuable time going after them. You guys just don't matter that much. That's not meant to be an insult, that is just a reality of life.
Well said.

Sometimes I think the media does a number on both men and women. I call it the Cosmo Effect. Cosmo is just one example of it, but so very many magazines, books, television shows, etc. go on and on about getting, keeping, and satisfying a man. I think this can make it look like women are always thinking about men.

We're not.

Then you have so many cultures and religions that harp on how a woman's greatest fulfillment should come from marriage (read: "a man") and motherhood (read: "having a family with a man.") All too often, the message is: You're not complete without a man.

But we are.

Romantic relationships are only one part of life--and not a part that's necessary for a woman's survival. I said something like this wayyyyy back a bazillion pages ago, but I really think much of the problem for some men who express such rancor is that they haven't adjusted to the fact that roles have changed, and they haven't yet carved out a new role for themselves. They want to play by the old rules, but the old rules don't necessarily apply, particularly in the Western world.

Times change. That's a fact of life.

Thank goodness.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,506,117 times
Quote:
And the funny thing is we all know we are not going to change anyone's mind yet we keep beating the poor deceased equine
Guilty. I was just telling someone the other day that I probably shouldn't bother with some of these threads. I repeat myself over and over with some of these people sometimes. As much as it is my choice to do so, I just can't get used to that kind of thinking.

As sad as it is, in general, that people choose to be so unhappy, I don't continue to post for their sake. I enjoy any situation that exercises my x-ray vision; it helps me in my own life. I like the idea that providing facts and challenging what isn't provides a contrast that could prevent another Hitler or George Sodini from emerging. But I also know I ultimately have no say in that. Once log off here, City Data stays on this computer and I am somewhere else inches, feet or miles away living a very different reality than theirs and thankful for it.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,989,002 times
Quote:
Well, Mary

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded.

I prefer to have fun.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:18 PM

740 posts, read 1,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Guilty. I was just telling someone the other day that I probably shouldn't bother with some of these threads. I repeat myself over and over with some of these people sometimes. As much as it is my choice to do so, I just can't get used to that kind of thinking.

As sad as it is, in general, that people choose to be so unhappy, I don't continue to post for their sake. I enjoy any situation that exercises my x-ray vision; it helps me in my own life. I like the idea that providing facts and challenging what isn't provides a contrast that could prevent another Hitler or George Sodini from emerging. But I also know I ultimately have no say in that. Once log off here, City Data stays on this computer and I am somewhere else inches, feet or miles away living a very different reality than theirs and thankful for it.
I like seeing the variety of opinion in the world. People are fascinating. But I don't think that anything said will prevent a Hitler or a Pol Pot. Once folks are down a certain path far enough, no amount of conversation is going to change the path. I also kind of like the internet posting thing, because I think many people express opinions they normally would not say to anyone but close friends, if even that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, Mary

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded.

I prefer to have fun.
Love the quote! And even in real life, arguing against folks fundamental belief system is pretty pointless if you expect to change their mind.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:26 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,135,237 times
I think debates can be very beneficial. Not to convince those that hold opposing views of anything, but it enables a person to become more informed through research. Frankly, I've learned more about politics, world issues, gender issues, and education issues through debates on the net because I tend to research the topics I engage in rather heavily. I'm a better informed person in general because of it and I like that.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:31 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,309,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think debates can be very beneficial. Not to convince those that hold opposing views of anything, but it enables a person to become more informed through research. Frankly, I've learned more about politics, world issues, gender issues, and education issues through debates on the net because I tend to research the topics I engage in rather heavily. I'm a better informed person in general because of it and I like that.
I agree Braunwyn, they can be positive learning experiences. But you've gotta agree that some of the posts are like talking to light poles with blown bulbs!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,135,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I agree Braunwyn, they can be positive learning experiences. But you've gotta agree that some of the posts are like talking to light poles with blown bulbs!
LOL well, I can't really argue that. I don't tend to bother with the really stupid cr*p that comes up (thinking of recent comments about anit-suffrage). I've also found that most of the real screw balls on this forum don't like engaging me, so I get a break there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships