Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
When do you think marriage was invented, 1975? Do you have any facts, history, a link, a theory anything to claim that women invented marriage. It's pretty much a scientific fact that men invented marriage to control their partner's privates. I mean I honestly don't know where you are going to find a link to dispute this. Opression is disgusting, anybody that longs for the "good ol' days" has some problems.

If you don't have any evidence, I've got a mountain of work I should be doing. I should be earning what they pay me, or at least looking like it.
Hell no. I doubt there's anyway to prove who invented marriage. It's just a guess on my part. There was more in for it for the woman than there was for the man. Men had no reason to maintain monogamous types of relationships, that was more beneficial for the woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:07 PM

437 posts, read 675,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Just love all these threads, not ..

Usually guys that say :

"Women are goldiggers" are broke, "Feminism ruined relationships" are sad they can't treat women like doormats and that "Women are too picky" really mean "Women don't like me".

A bad experience and an entire gender has been villified.

It's a wonder people still get married
Hmm.. making some assumptions, aren't we? And belittling ones no less. I have never been married but I know men, my father included, who was destroyed in one. His current marriage sucks too. Do some research and realize that half of all marriages end in divorce, 70% of the divorces (both at fault and not) are initiated by women, and that over 90% of child custody are awarded to women.

These are not single bad experiences but patterns repeated over and over again. There are many men who have been tossed in jail for an inability to pay unreasonable child support or alimony despite their best efforts (and indeed the courts and the law actively hamper these men in seeking to get on their feet by revoking professional licenses, passports, and driver's licenses. Gee if they couldn't earn enough money before all of that, how do you think they will fare now?)

We shake our head when we hear about debtor's prisons in Dicken's times yet they exist today for men who default even if they lack the ability to pay.

Open your mind and get some information before you get so judgemental.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:11 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi fleetiebelle,

I see it go both ways within the threads. Though I notice men create abstract threads a lot and women create actual contextual problem they are trying to solve. In reality are you not attacking them now? Why is that not an attack against men? It just seems biased to me. To retain your credibility I recommend you address the actual offense. In some cases I will agree I am sure.
Gwynned,

If my saying that there is a group of men on this board posting vitriolic statements against women is an attack against men, then call me a man-basher. I consider it more of a statement than an attack.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Marriage was men's idea, having to do with property and an attempt to ensure family names.
Except for the concept of family names, there's not really any benefit in a man entering into a monogamous relationship. I prefer them, but there's not a biological benefit of doing so. And there's no benefit for a man to "make it legal" since he is unlkely to gain a share in her property or income.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:12 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
Sure, he has more money but much of that money is earmarked for new expenses that may not bring him happiness, joy, or an increase in a standard of living. The house is bigger but it's more crowded with a spouse and children. He has a second car payment for his wife's car yet he can only drive one car at a time. He must now fund his childrens' educations, etc, etc...

So, in the end, a married man is working longer hours, a greater number of years, possibly experiencing greater stress, and sacrificing a higher percentage of his income. None of this burden is being expressed when people try to sell that marriage is good for men because they tend to have higher incomes.

It is not what you earn, it's what you keep. If a single man earns less but needs less and is able to save more (either a total amount or percentage) than a married man, than I would venture to claim that the single man is the wealthier of the two and better off. Personally, because I have a high income and lack a spouse and children, I am able to save to tremendous amount of money. Retirement at 50 is possible, certainly at 55. Compare that to the married man who works himself into an early grave to support a larger home, children's education, spouse's demands, etc... so he might have a few years of retirement before he drops from the pressures he put on his body.

And, of course, the report not only avoids commenting on marriage but actually deliberately hides it. In some studies, when they report single vs married, they roll into the single category men who have been divorced for a certain period of time (often a year). Clearly, marriage and the resulting devastating effects of a divorce wounded their finances tremendously yet that is hidden away and instead attributed to their singleness. Far more accurate would be "never married" vs married. But you won't see that because the powers that be don't want word getting around that marriage may not be all that. Need a new generation of tax payers and worker bees after all.
Yep, I agree, and the funny thing is men go through this just for some regular sex.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Gwynned,

If my saying that there is a group of men on this board posting vitriolic statements against women is an attack against men, then call me a man-basher. I consider it more of a statement than an attack.

Hi fleetiebelle,

Do you have an example in this thread recently? I am sure they might say they are stating facts.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM

437 posts, read 675,050 times
Quote:
Actually men invented marriage. It was a way to mark them as property. Women's rights is the best thing that has ever happened in this world. Men that can't get a grip are just scared cuz they can't compete. They can't compete cuz they have the self esteem the size of a sunflower seed. It's exhausting reading this.
It's hard to compete when the laws are set up to help women (affirmative action, women only programs, etc...) at the expense of men.

It's also hard to compete when men seem to have a better grasp of justice than women. Men were convinced that disenfranchisement wasn't right and GAVE women the right to vote. When was the last time we saw a concerted, let alone successful, action by women to give up power to men such are getting rid of affirmative action or working to achieve a more equitable distribution of child custody?

Women tend to vote more progressively than men, with the aim of taking wealth from someone to give to them via welfare, housing, etc... it's how Obama was elected and indeed Hillary had a commercial where she is wrapping up Christmas packages with titles like "universal healthcare" and "free child day care." Gee, I wonder who is going to pay for THAT?!?!?

Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Hell no. I doubt there's anyway to prove who invented marriage. It's just a guess on my part. There was more in for it for the woman than there was for the man. Men had no reason to maintain monogamous types of relationships, that was more beneficial for the woman.

Are you playing a joke on me, or do you really not know the violence and humiliation that "wives" had to put up with from their "husbands" up until about 1950?

Are you talking about now? I'd say that marriage still favors men more. Studies have shown men benefit healthwise, from healthy, long term relationships. Also, most men are more productive in there career with a strong woman behind them.

I just don't get this at all. I feel like the Incredible Hulk over here.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Except for the concept of family names, there's not really any benefit in a man entering into a monogamous relationship. I prefer them, but there's not a biological benefit of doing so. And there's no benefit for a man to "make it legal" since he is unlkely to gain a share in her property or income.
Hi TKramar,

The problem with modern marriage is that it secures the assets even after the divorce while it does nothing to secure the future fidelity. Many people mention alimony, but its the spiting of the assets that is more critical. Thus the exclusive sex for material bargain is breached. If women married men on an equal income and asset basis this would not be as much of an issue. Men tend to be slightly older and are more apt to marry down income wise. It does make less sense than before for men right or wrong. Now more men are going to the uncommitted sex option which is the scatter and not invest approach. They are called players.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Are you playing a joke on me, or do you really not know the violence and humiliation that "wives" had to put up with from their "husbands" up until about 1950?

Are you talking about now? I'd say that marriage still favors men more. Studies have shown men benefit healthwise, from healthy, long term relationships. Also, most men are more productive in there career with a strong woman behind them.

I just don't get this at all. I feel like the Incredible Hulk over here.
Hell, if we're talking about the ORIGINS of marriage, we'd practically have to go back to caveman days. Man has sex with woman, he moves on, has sex with another woman--repeating this cycle. That spreads his genetic material, this is beneficial to him. Meanwhile, the woman has more investedwith each of her encounters. The potential to become pregnant, The necessity of providing food and security for her and any children she has.

Thus, it would have been more beneficial for the woman than the man. Unless the man had a hard time finding women willing to succumb to his advances...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships