Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,707,757 times

Advertisements

Lots of things to think about...first, do not have kids, because after kids, usually mom or dad's birthday is not such a big deal anymore.
Next, it seems your friend feels she has to choose for some reason, between you or him. This would be a great opportunity for you to make sure you do not lose her friendship by inviting them both as a couple to your party.
Lastly, I have been in your shoes but not with a birthday but more of a going away dinner. We were moving across the country and my friend chose going to a toy store with another friend over going out to dinner with us. I am still upset over that.
Enjoy your birthday and if she does not come, take it as an experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Knowing my personality and the lame excuse she used, I would be upset. It's not like you are throwing a "swingers" party where she would be tempted to get it on with someone there...it's your birthday party.

Given your history together, I woud have expected more from her. However, as you go through life, you will find that you will save yourself alot of heartache not to expect so much from others. Their priorities become different from yours and they become engrossed in their own little worlds.

So buck up little camper and I hope you have a wonderful 23rd birthday! Best wishes for many, many more (believe me, you will stop counting them one day...then you go backwards with the numbers )
Very true; in addition, I'd say that it's often wise not to expect reciprocity or fairness from friends. I've learned that some "friends" will gladly abuse your generosity while being selfish themselves.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. Best to cut off such "friends." I have and am better off.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,008 times
Two girls at the age of 16.

Girl 1: Hey want to come out to celebrate my birthday tomorrow?
Girl 2: Sure, I'll be there.

Same two girls at the age of 26.

Girl 1: Hey want to come out to celebrate my birthday tomorrow?
Girl 2: I'm on my way to the hospital. I'M GOING INTO LABOR!!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,984,935 times
Happy Birthday.

Do remember that birthdays are not truly major holidays. Aside for your girlfriend's drama, you will find that birthdays are not the child like holiday they once were. Don't get me wrong, grown ups celebrate their birthdays but it's usually not like a childs party. About the only time I recall adults have the party thing is for the mile markers (40, 50, etc).

Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,022,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Wow...I thought by 23 you would know that the world doesn't revolve around you. I think your GF is ridiculous...but only because she won't stand up to her BF.
Enjoy your BD but don't expect everyone to be there all the time.
This!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,922,877 times
OP, I can understand you being upset that she can't come, but, as a friend, i think you should be more concerned at her boyfriend not letting her come !

Not let ? WTF ?

That's not normal. She's either using him as an excuse, or she could be in a bad relationship.

it's up to you to figure out which one it is.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM

133 posts, read 290,262 times
eff that, i would be upset too. Just cause her BF says so doesn't mean she has to listen, even IF she's the one who effed up. You her best friend and you're having a b-day party. Not like you are going to vegas or clubbing. Have her bring him if it's that big a deal to him.

Also if i were you i'd prob. call the BF and give him a piece of my mind as well!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
I too would be concerned for my friend...her bf is not "letting" her go out. Why does she need his permission. Is he a control freak? Is she allowed to go to work, the grocery store, what? I think she is scared...maybe you should talk to her about this. That's the bigger thing here.

Hey, I always enjoy celebrating my BD and I'm aheck of alot older than you. I think there's two types of people in the world, those that like celebrating BDs and those that don't. I have a friend who doesn't like to celebrate her BD so she projects that onto me but she doesn't get that it's important to me to get a card on mine. It used to really bother me because I always remembered her BD with a card and phone call, but now I don't call or send her a card either. I think she finally got the message.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:34 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
You've been given a lot of good advice. When I was your age, I probably felt the same way you do about my birthday. However, as I've aged (and aged and aged), I've come to realize that how people treat you on "special" days (Valentine's, Christmas, your birthday, etc) isnt nearly so important as how they treat you every other day of the year. If your friends are "there" for you at other times, it shouldnt matter if they have obligations (no matter how trivial those obligations seem to you) on your birthday.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Wow...I thought by 23 you would know that the world doesn't revolve around you. I think your GF is ridiculous...but only because she won't stand up to her BF.
Enjoy your BD but don't expect everyone to be there all the time.
Ditto!

All I get from my friends on my birthday is a handful of Happy Birthdays on my Facebook page. I can't remember the last time I had an actual party, maybe for my 30th? The past few years I've taken a vacation that week so I don't have to be around a bunch of people who don't give a crap that it's my birthday. I buy myself a nice present, and take off for warmer lands. This year it's the Southern Caribbean. I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships