U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 PM

7,917 posts, read 10,930,535 times
yellfire wrote:
Quote:
Initially to check out other places to live from the people who actually reside there.
That's exactly how I stumbled onto the City Data website. I was looking for information about Tennessee while I was still living in Phoenix. Then I posted quite a bit in the Montana forum because that's where I'm from originally and then I discovered the Religion and Philosophy forum which is where almost all of my activity has taken place. It was just doing a Google search for Tennessee and here I am three years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 PM

4,913 posts, read 4,230,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's easy. Human relationships fascinate me. I also read Dear Abby almost every day, too.

What has kept me hooked is the bizarre opinions some people hold when it comes to relating to others. By that, I certainly don't mean there's one way to approach any given situation. But some posters are so obviously out of touch with reality that it's frankly disturbing. Kind of like watching a train wreck. You just can't tear your eyes away from the carnage.

And, of course, I've made some friends on here, too. A couple of them have migrated to Facebook friends.
My sentiments exactly!

3,574 posts, read 3,646,307 times
Initially, I came looking for help.

Then, I discovered it was quite a cool place.

There are people out there who I feel I can help, with advice or sympathy. After all, I've lived a varied life, and I've become wiser.

There are some out there who are beyond help.

Sometimes I like stirring the pot a little, and sometimes I'll feed the trolls

My tongue is planted firmly in my cheek when I'm typing, much of the time !!

23,143 posts, read 16,722,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Initially to check out other places to live from the people who actually reside there. Then I stumbled on "Relationships" and as my life is at present too hectic to invest much in personal relationships outside of work or school, this is a fun way to chat a little, laugh a lot, and observe the human condition, from the sidelines, so to speak.
I initially was using it to check out other areas of the country.

After awhile I too stumbled into Relationships.

About 80% of the time I post to try to make others laugh. The other 20% is actual advice.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 3,191,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
A few reasons. One is that it can be entertaining. It can also be enlightening, especially about younger generations and with five children ranging in age from 22 to 40 and a bunch of grandchildren, I find that interesting.

Since I'm in my seventh decade of life, I always hope that something I might say, based upon years of experiences that have included marriage, divorce, remarriage, parenthood and dating in the '60s as well as the '90s (in my teens and 20s and in my 40s and 50s), something I post might help someone else avoid some of my former mistakes. If nothing else, perhaps I can give someone hope and cause someone else to stop and think about what they're doing.

Besides, I'm retired and have plenty of time on my hands!
I quit giving advice a long long time ago. Nobody, but nobody, can learn from MY mistakes. Everyone has to learn on their own. AND I found out, long ago, that most people won't listen anyway. Not even my own kids sometimes! You and I grew up in the Stone Age and what we did "back then" doesn't seem to meld very well with what goes on now, IMO. OR maybe, because we didn't have computers back then, we didn't know the extent of young people's angst. Seems to me that everything was pretty cut and dried for us.

The highlighted part of your post goes for me too...I just forgot to add it to my post.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,020,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
yellfire wrote:

That's exactly how I stumbled onto the City Data website... It was just doing a Google search for Tennessee and here I am three years later.
Well, maybe I'll see you in Tennessee in ten months or so... TN is high on my list!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,212,921 times
I've always had and like having a "home" forum just like Cheers where everybody yells "Sierra" when I walk in! I am interested in human relations very much and I have read and experienced quite a bit (I'm not much into sharing, though), but that's not the main reason I'm here. I could be on any forum I can have fun and there is an enjoyable group of people to play with.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The other 20% is actual advice.
Really...? I'd go with about 5% and I'm being generous!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,020,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Really...? I'd go with about 5% and I'm being generous!
I second that...

Old 02-04-2010, 04:11 PM

18,288 posts, read 14,436,231 times
OK! Truth time. I only come to CD because that's where sierraAZ, seeniorita and Coyoteskye are!

A fella can always dream, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships