Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:44 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times

Advertisements

I'm not convinced there's even such a thing as either a beta female or beta male. I think people's personalities are so complex and so unique that it's simplistic to try to put a label on them. There are also so many factors and qualities that make up our personalities that a person who may appear to be awkward or shy in certain circumstances may also excel and be very confident in other situations. The terms beta and alpha are probably as much about pop culture as pop psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,841 times
closest thing is the ugly chick with the hot friend. but even the ugly friend can get laid if she wants to.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm not convinced there's even such a thing as either a beta female or beta male. I think people's personalities are so complex and so unique that it's simplistic to try to put a label on them. There are also so many factors and qualities that make up our personalities that a person who may appear to be awkward or shy in certain circumstances may also excel and be very confident in other situations. The terms beta and alpha are probably as much about pop culture as pop psychology.
I feel the same way about beta-carotene. Enough with the labels already.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
No, a beta male MIGHT get attention from a 500 lb woman, but that's different than you being rejected by your ideal man. Are you on facebook? Al the nerdy girls got married, have familes, husbands, and the beta m ale sare still all celibate. Unless you are in the 500 lb category, you have it better. FACT.

DEAL.
Real attorneys don't punctuate their arguments by declaring them fact. They let the argument stand on its own.

If a beta male is still celibate, it's most likely his attitude that's turning off women. For every woman who goes for the bad boy, there are plenty who've grown past that stage. Your problem is you lump all women into the same category. Here's a newsflash. Not all women think the same and until you wrap your head around that, you'll never succeed with them. And apparently, it's easier for you to blame women for your lack of success. Take a look at yourself and you might find the real root of your problem. You could be 6'4" and look like Brad Pitt. But with your attitude, most women would run for the hills.

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Ive had to explain this to women before....

Not getting attention from the men you WANT attention from, is not the same thing as being unable to get attention....its so rare for women to not get attention at all.

Undesirable men however, may never get attention from anyone..period.

I think this is really indicative of the fact that women kind of take the fact that they are always sought after by SOMEone (whether they like the person or not) for granted.
That might affect the ego differently, men's being easier to bruise, but the end result is the same. Not taking it for granted, just being realistic.

Most women are able to date within their "type", and have reciprocal relationships. It is pretty dorky for a woman to not be able to pull that off.

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
OK, I have a problem again with the much-loved American lists and classifications! I don't consider myself a "party" girl, but I wouldn't describe myself as a mousy type, either. What's my label, Coolhand? Off the charts loonie?
Foreigner...

I'm not pigeon-holing women into set categories, more like firast impressions or overall impressions. We all accept that Alpha males have certain characteristics that identify them as such. Women look at a man and see jocks, nerds, intellectuals, artistic types etc. Women are sized up by men the same way. You see a crowd of girls out at a club and you can typically size up who is the more "alpha" outgoing type, and who is the more reserved or shy type (beta) just by observing. That's not to say that someone can't share traits from both.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Foreigner...
OK. As long as it's not ET, it works for me.

Quote:
You see a crowd of girls out at a club and you can typically size up who is the more "alpha" outgoing type, and who is the more reserved or shy type (beta) just by observing. That's not to say that someone can't share traits from both.
I don't believe reserved equals shy.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:00 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That might affect the ego differently, men's being easier to bruise, but the end result is the same. Not taking it for granted, just being realistic.

Most women are able to date within their "type", and have reciprocal relationships. It is pretty dorky for a woman to not be able to pull that off.

Excuse me for my misunderstanding, but Im not quite understanding what you're saying here...I dont see how a man's ego could be much more damaged after being absolutely undesired. I agree that its pretty rare, if not altogether unrealistic, for a woman not to be able to find someone her type...however some women do use this excuse interchangeably with the phrase "no good men left..."...or "I cant find a man"...which is factually incorrect. There are simply men they arent willing to date left...but they are there...and I would guess that they are 8/10 (ad hoc stat..lol) interested in some sort of relationship with those women.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:34 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Excuse me for my misunderstanding, but Im not quite understanding what you're saying here...I dont see how a man's ego could be much more damaged after being absolutely undesired. I agree that its pretty rare, if not altogether unrealistic, for a woman not to be able to find someone her type...however some women do use this excuse interchangeably with the phrase "no good men left..."...or "I cant find a man"...which is factually incorrect. There are simply men they arent willing to date left...but they are there...and I would guess that they are 8/10 (ad hoc stat..lol) interested in some sort of relationship with those women.
Agreed, that it is very damaging to a man's ego to be univerally rejected by women.

That isn't normally a problem for women but they have their own separate issues that damage them as well.

If you've dated alot, even outside your comfort zone, and you like people and are open minded, know what you want, but can't force anything to materialize- that is it's own kind of torture.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:40 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
closest thing is the ugly chick with the hot friend. but even the ugly friend can get laid if she wants to.
Ugly males CAN get laid as well. I have seen it first hand, second hand many times. They can't pull a Alicia Keys type, but nonetheless they still can get laid by average Janes and ugly Bettys. Fact.

When ugly men say "I can't get laid" that basically means "I can't get laid by super hot women whom I'd never have a chance with anyway". People really need to know where they stand in the attractiveness scale and the pecking order. That's the problem with men. Same with women who say "There are no good men left.." Now sweetheart, there ARE many good men left but none of them want you because you are not good enough for them.

I wish people would understand those basic principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships