Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,401,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Umm, she wasn't real, you know, it was an actress.
Funny, 'cause I was just going to ask the other posters if they knew she was a fictional character. I think we're looking at her character as a type, or as a situation that some "characters" in real life find themselves in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd go with "pathetic" character.
I don't know. The movie was made in what? 1968? That would make her a woman who grew up in the '30's and '40's. Context. Most women were a long way from independent thinking at that time. I think a lot of women in those days found themselves trapped.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,301,958 times
Quote:
Exactly! I'm not saying it's out of the question to be attracted to a substantially younger man, but certainly not to somebody like the dear graduate we're discussing!
Tried to rep ya.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 AM

19,595 posts, read 12,196,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
First of all, I'm so sick of this alpha/beta argument. If anything, it ruffly defines a set of characteristics make up people who have high self esteem and superior leadership capabilities. That's it.

With that said, I don't think a female has the same problems as men as far as attracting a mate. If anything, women have problems with attracting too much attention unless they are grossly over/underweight.

But for the sake of argument, if a woman wants attention from men, and she just can't get it, I do believe that she is not looked upon as badly as a man would be under similar situations.

It's just biology, she's the queen, she's the back bone of civilization, she has the egg, and she has the honey pot; so as a result, all males compete FOR HER.
A lot of you just don't get it. The wrong attention = no attention, except you have to deal with possible trouble, like stalking. Many of us would choose alone before being with the wrong men. All the attention given to an attractive female for her "honeypot" is hollow. That attention means nothing. If you don't understand that, then you will never get it.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,120,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
I don't know. The movie was made in what? 1968? That would make her a woman who grew up in the '30's and '40's. Context. Most women were a long way from independent thinking at that time. I think a lot of women in those days found themselves trapped.
I see your point about this. I just can't relate to this particular choice of a guy.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I see your point about this. I just can't relate to this particular choice of a guy.

Hey, that's cool.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,301,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Funny, 'cause I was just going to ask the other posters if they knew she was a fictional character. I think we're looking at her character as a type, or as a situation that some "characters" in real life find themselves in.
It's only natural to analyze a character based on your own experiences and the times you live in.

However, some things transcend time, her feeling of being trapped, lack of being emotionally and sexually fulfilled, loved etc.

Her choice in The Graduate, a young man with no backbone, is a pathetic choice regardless of the era or circumstance, which makes it IMO all the sadder.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:44 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,036,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Morphous01, you just don't get it. The wrong attention = no attention, except you have to deal with possible trouble, like stalking. Many of us would choose alone before being with the wrong men. All the attention given to an attractive female for her "honeypot" is hollow. That attention means nothing. If you don't understand that, then you will never get it.

I respectfully disagree, the most attractive female has the best opportunity to have a baby with the most strongest, smartest, successful male in any given civilization. That's a good thing if you want to live a decent life, and it's also good because YOUR DNA gets passed into the future. I'm not implying all strong, successful males are good men, but I'm just making the point that a beautiful woman is in a powerful position when she is young, beautiful and fertile.

As far as the wrong attention, I find that may modern women carry themselves in a HIGHLY provocative, sexually flamboyant manner which only entices men (some of them with no morals) to act accordingly.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,971,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I respectfully disagree, the most attractive female has the best opportunity to have a baby with the most strongest, smartest, successful male in any given civilization. That's a good thing if you want to live a decent life, and it's also good because YOUR DNA gets passed into the future. I'm not implying all strong, successful males are good men, but I'm just making the point that a beautiful woman is in a powerful position when she is young, beautiful and fertile.

As far as the wrong attention, I find that may modern women carry themselves in a HIGHLY provocative, sexually flamboyant manner which only entices men (some of them with no morals) to act accordingly.
I agree with this... many women do elicit a certain response from men based on the way they present themselves...but they DO elicit SOME response..the same simply cannot be said of lower status men...

to dismiss the attention that women get from men whom they perceive as unwanted as hollow is an arbitrary leap in logic. Many men would love that same kind of attention shown to them from women. So whether that attention is to be valued or not is subjective, but it is not the same as not receiving attention at all...0 doesnt equal 1, just as 0 doesnt equal -1. Its a matter of women choosing to not accept attention based on their own arbitrary guidelines..not a matter of the attention actually being non existent.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:18 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,633,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
to dismiss the attention that women get from men whom they perceive as unwanted as hollow is an arbitrary leap in logic. Many men would love that same kind of attention shown to them from women. So whether that attention is to be valued or not is subjective, but it is not the same as not receiving attention at all...0 doesnt equal 1, just as 0 doesnt equal -1. Its a matter of women choosing to not accept attention based on their own arbitrary guidelines..not a matter of the attention actually being non existent.
I don't know many men who would like getting the attention of a woman they find unattractive. I would find it awkward. You don't want to hurt the person's feelings. But you don't want to mislead them either. In that case, I would've preferred the woman not show interest in me at all. At least then, the awkwardness of the situation would've been avoided and there'd be no risk of someone's feelings being hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships