Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,508,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
So when you hear a discussion about being "attracted" to someone, you think about race first? That's really strange that you'd want to live this way.
No race is not the first thing I thought of. Im not sure which personalities my parents like (they seem to hate each other now) and they take the "if she's white it must be right" attitude

I wasn;t sure if my friend was talking about personality of race or physical attraction in general. But i decided to run with race because of what I am attracted to. God knows why I like Latin girls, I dont know why but I find them so gorgeous

I'm not sure why I like what I like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:27 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,220,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
A friend of mine said the other day that people are attracted to the same type of people as our parents are. Now Im not sure he meant this personality wise or racially wise but it made me think?

Im a white guy. But oddly enough I am not attracted to white girls physically for the most part. The ones who are are considered "drop dead gorgeous" and out of my league anyways. But racially wise I seem to have an insatiable appetite for Latinas. That started when I was 15 or 16, dont know why.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally. But I only seem to be attracted to latinas and white girls mostly. I have yet to find a black girl who I find physically attractive, not racist but yeah. I've found a few east indian and some asian girls to be attractive too.

My parents know about my tastes and do not support it and my sister says I have a "problem" My brother doesnt seem supportive of it either

Perhaps I am just weird. Which everybody seems to think anyways. What d you guys think? Do we really take after our parents in preferences of people?
I had great parents and grandparents growing up. I tend to look for people like them.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:28 PM

109 posts, read 202,073 times
Quote:

I'm not sure why I like what I like
Does it matter?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,508,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I had great parents and grandparents growing up. I tend to look for people like them.
you are lucky my dad is an alcoholic and a smoker who is 63 but looks 93, smoking a pack a day since age 14, drinking since age 16, and my mom just is apathetic and doesnt think things through, priorities way outta whack

Old 02-07-2010, 05:00 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,180,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishka View Post
Does it matter?
Well, some of us like to know ourselves. Particularly how much of ourselves are ourselves and not someone else's thinking.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,771 times
I feel that its true in some cases. I love the same things my grandma likes. For example she was a nurse and Im studying to be a doctor. My grandfather is a black Puerto Rican, and my fiance is Haitian and Im Puerto Rican. My mother in the other hand does not aprove and feels that we should marry our own kind. I told her that would be too boring....lol

Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 PM

213 posts, read 415,376 times
Quote:
Do we really take after our parents in preferences of people?
Absolutely not, I'm attracted to people who are the total opposite of my parents.

It may have something to do with the fact that my 'rents were totally dysfunctional.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:20 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,898,650 times
Yup--my husband is eerily like my dad. Both are quiet, reserved, witty, smart, responsible, caring, and patient. And as I spend more time with his mom, I realize how like her I am.

Marrying someone similar to your parent is actually a pretty common phenomenon.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:38 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Nope. My parents pretty much ran with the plaid jacket crowd. Lots of back-slapping, country-club going types.

Our friends are pretty much all walks of life, and decidedly heterogenous to boot. At our last party, my Mom showed and remarked at the end, "You know, you have a really interesting set of friends. No the same-old, same-old, I'll give you that."

Old 06-14-2010, 03:51 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,899,715 times
My husband and I were actually talking about this the other day.

I was adopted, and it's funny because my adoptive father is exactly the OPPOSITE of what I am attracted to in men. He's loud, beer drinking, sport watching, messy eater, light haired, "manly man" type of guy--to which I take no attraction from. Nothing against him, he's a nice guy overall...but I'm attracted to polar opposite of what he is, and married the complete opposite.

I've never met my biological father so perhaps he's my "type" -- who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships