Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:26 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

^^Being someone to depend upon isn't a bad thing. Being able to depend on someone else, while naive, isn't necessarily bad either. You should be able to depend on your partner.

What's wrong with that? Should we only get into relationships with people we cannot depend upon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
^^Being someone to depend upon isn't a bad thing. Being able to depend on someone else, while naive, isn't necessarily bad either. You should be able to depend on your partner.

What's wrong with that? Should we only get into relationships with people we cannot depend upon?
Relying on our partners is not the issue - do some reading about co-dependency, I fear you don't understand the subject.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 PM

Every time I bring the subject of being able to have someone DO things that you're not good at doing yourself, the subject of codependency seems to come along for the ride. So, no, I don't understand it.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Every time I bring the subject of being able to have someone DO things that you're not good at doing yourself, the subject of codependency seems to come along for the ride. So, no, I don't understand it.
Why not try reading the book Tropical Trouble is reading to help you learn more about it? It's called "Untangling Relationships"

Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Codependents aren't bad people, they have no boundaries and carry the weight of
everyone else's problems on their shoulders to their own detriment.

Here's the positive, they can never be accused of being a selfish narcissist.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:07 AM

Because I prefer to deal with relationships by having them, because it's the experience I have that's going to matter. You may have heard the expression "your mileage may vary"? Reading about other people's relationships is not going to impact what happens in MINE. My relationships are going to be dependent on the two parties involved, and the chances of two people having the same exact sorts of past experiences is going to be infinitestimally small.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
codependency is abnormal and sick behavior. it appears kind and christian but is neither.
it is-- in a word-- doing way too much for others and not taking care of yourself. it is a form of self hatred and contempt.
the coda treats himself in cruel ways he would never dream of doing to others. it masquerades often as self discipline.
employers and family love codas, they serve them very well and put them 1st always and then die quietly.
codas are angry martyrs.
see link for patterns and characteristics of codependency.

http://www.sdccoda.org/

Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Did you post in the wrong thread, if not, what codependency is about, went over your head.

Quote:
Because I prefer to deal with relationships by having them, because it's the experience I have that's going to matter. You may have heard the expression "your mileage may vary"? Reading about other people's relationships is not going to impact what happens in MINE. My relationships are going to be dependent on the two parties involved, and the chances of two people having the same exact sorts of past experiences is going to be infinitestimally small.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:44 AM

557 posts, read 1,353,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Codependents aren't bad people, they have no boundaries and carry the weight of
everyone else's problems on their shoulders to their own detriment.

Here's the positive, they can never be accused of being a selfish narcissist.
I know you are joking, but that is absolutely untrue. Infact co-dependents are MORE APT to suffer multiple diagnosis, clinically.

I.E. a co-dependant narcissist LOOKS for a narcissist themselves and becomes the "parasite" to the host, the prototypical narcissist.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriInNH View Post
I know you are joking, but that is absolutely untrue. Infact co-dependents are MORE APT to suffer multiple diagnosis clinically. I.E. a co-dependant narcissist LOOKS for a narcissist themselves.
your post is very true, there is 2 groups of people always looking for each other, narcisst and echo. echos are often coda.
the term narcissist is very popular. it is rarely understood bek most do not know it is used properly in tandem with echo, both are part of greek mythology and are used to explain human behavior.
a coda can be a narcisst but most codas are echo (the one doing the orbiting around the narcisst)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships