Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ha! That was cute. I love Jimmy Dean sausages!

I think I did myself in last night. Well, almost. I took one dose of a Nyquil-type med, and then a small swig of my son's prescription expectorant. Now, I KNOW the ingredients in this stuff, as I pay attention to what actually helps and what doesn't. I hate throwing money away on a bunch of ineffective cold "remedies".

I was just looking to quiet my daggone cough, and maybe help get rid of some of the junk in my chest (you know that ugly horrid cough, right? That's what I have.) Anyway, the prescription stuff is guaifenesin - it's an expectorant, it the ingredient in Mucinex, and it's been around for years. It's really the only cold med that really does anything, for me anyway. Well this was in a mixture called "hycotuss" - my son had it prescribed last year when he had a flu or something. There is just a little left, and it had been effective, so I kept it.

Well, I woke up this morning feeling like I had been drugged. I figured I just went to bed too late (as usual) and got up to take a shower. By the time I had washed my hair, the dizziness was almost overpowering. Then the nausea hit...I was bent over in the shower, holding on, just trying to not collapse, so that I could just finish my hair...and I finally had to sit down, in the shower, almost laying down, to regain my balance a bit. I knew that if I passed out, my son would never hear me, and I was not about to allow that to happen. I forced myself to keep my eyes open...I rinsed off while sitting there, then turned off the water, reached up and grabbed my towel, and literally climbed out of the tub, and dried off. I could barely stand, and I stumbled back to the bed. I waited about 15 minutes until the worst of it seemed to subside, and then I slid off the bed, grabbed a robe, and went out to make sure my son was up. He was...so once I got him off to bed, I hopped on the sofa. Called in to work, and fell in and out of sleep....been lightheaded all day.

I can't believe this stuff is that strong, but I suspect it was the mixing of the two meds. Dumb. I know. I won't do that again.
Sheesh, Chessie, how scary. Hope you give a quick check-in with us later so we'll know you're okay.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
But............. this website says my weight is normal, per BMI

Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Sheesh, Chessie, how scary. Hope you give a quick check-in with us later so we'll know you're okay.
I agree. We want to know how you're feeling later.

The same thing has happened to me before, but not from medication. I almost passed out in the shower when I hadn't eaten anything since lunchtime the day before. Sounds like the exact same symptoms though

Old 03-08-2010, 05:07 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post

The same thing has happened to me before, but not from medication. I almost passed out in the shower when I hadn't eaten anything since lunchtime the day before. Sounds like the exact same symptoms though
Wow, Chessie, hope you're OK. Most people think we're just nagging when we say "don't mix medications without checking" but there are reasons...

As a side note, Homer Simpson boxers, cute, not too intimidating. Boxer briefs, sexy, definitely. Homer Simpson boxer briefs, confusing...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Wow, Chessie, hope you're OK. Most people think we're just nagging when we say "don't mix medications without checking" but there are reasons...

As a side note, Homer Simpson boxers, cute, not too intimidating. Boxer briefs, sexy, definitely. Homer Simpson boxer briefs, confusing...
Haha, that's exactly what it is.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Thanks, SOG, I'm much better tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post

Yeah I have passed out, many many years ago. I've always had low blood pressure, and when I get hungry and overheated, it's not a pretty picture. But I've improved things a lot since then (cardio exercise works wonders) and I pay more attention to my body now. It was very simlilar though. I think the hot shower just exacerbated the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Yep. Agreed. I just didn't think these 2 would affect me that way. But I don't take much medicine, and I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol , so I should have known better I guess.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Thanks, SOG, I'm much better tonight.
Good.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
I owe you a dm reply, don't I?

AND I'm still trying to gather the brain power to explain what I mean properly to chessie and PTC on that thread.

I dunno, all of a sudden brain dead.

I was thinking maybe a bubble bath and a nap.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
Hope you get better , Chessie!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Chess, I recalled reading something about Nyquil being dangerous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/29/he...icle_popular_2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships