U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 PM

1,919 posts, read 3,959,281 times

Advertisements

... it was... interesting.

There is a woman I have been futilely trying to find since last fall. Laura my first crush after I hit puberty... well, at least, the first INNOCENT crush.

She hated me in junior high school, and in high school, we had a huge fight and hated each other for a while only to become close friends when we became high school seniors. Some of our peers then said we made a great couple.

We stayed friends as we moved on to college and even mailed each other letters up until my senior year in high school, but time eventually separated us. The last time I saw her was in 1993.

Tonight, I remembered a few other people I had known during that time, and wondered if she was in their friend lists. I saw two brothers, one my age... they're now married w/ kids.

Nope, Laura wasn't there.

I found another woman, the same age as Laura and me, who know those two brothers. That woman hasn't changed much from when I first met her nearly 22 years ago... but nope, she and Laura aren't friends.

I know two women on Facebook, one who is on my friend's list, who knew Laura in her early 20s, when we were distancing ourselves from each other. The one who is on my friend's list said Laura moved to California and they eventually lost touch. The other woman, who is not my FB friend, said they had lost touch.

But by searching for Laura, as I saw those two brothers and the woman who hasn't changed much... so many memories came back. Especially because those two brothers had known Laura when I first met her and we all used to play together in junior high days.

Oh Laura, where are you. Even if you are married, I'd love to know how life has treated you...

EDIT: proof that persistence pays off! I found Laura.... and wow that brilliant, smart girl surely kicked ass in life. She's abroad now and owns her own company. And... she's married. God bless you, Laura!..............

Last edited by Sprawling_Homeowner; 02-08-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:43 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,867,964 times
Very cool story! I like Facebook and it is neat to see how old friends turned out.

Not everyone looking for previous loves/crushes is out to commit adultery or break up a marriage.

I found my high school boyfriend on Facebook and we rekindled our romance for a short time (neither of us was in a relationship) Didn't work, but we'll stay friends.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Good story and maybe now you two can at least be penpals

Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
Very cool story! I like Facebook and it is neat to see how old friends turned out.

Not everyone looking for previous loves/crushes is out to commit adultery or break up a marriage.

I found my high school boyfriend on Facebook and we rekindled our romance for a short time (neither of us was in a relationship) Didn't work, but we'll stay friends.

There's no way I'd wish to interfere. I can't - they're abroad! haha.

But in addition to that... if my memory doesn't fail me... the last time I saw her was in late 1992. It's been SEVENTEEN YEARS and perhaps a letter or two after that, but that's it. Which means, we're almost twice as old now as we were then. Many years passed, much happened in both of our lives, both of us changed, and she's now married.

I found her on FB after I found her online - and asked her to add me. (That assuming it's the same person - same first and last name.)

Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good story and maybe now you two can at least be penpals
Yes, if indeed the "Laura" I FB'ed is the one I'm looking for, and if she's OK w/ us talking again. That'd be wonderful.

Laura was perhaps my first truly innocent crush (which didn't involve a teacher ... that happened in 2nd grade) and the last girl I had as a true, good friend as a teenager before the innocence of adolescence ended.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,545,862 times
OMG! All you Facebookers totally need to join my Mafia Family on Mafia Wars!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 AM

3,284 posts, read 2,864,781 times
Just got FB, I'm really not getting the fuss so far.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:37 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,473,216 times
I guess Facebook is for people who haven't seen their buddies in decades. That's why I don't have an account. Besides, Farmville might be good, but its a version of another game offered in many other websites. And I read Farmville started doing some illegal things and is awaiting a lawsuit. Something to do with stealing money from the players.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 AM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I guess Facebook is for people who haven't seen their buddies in decades. That's why I don't have an account. Besides, Farmville might be good, but its a version of another game offered in many other websites. And I read Farmville started doing some illegal things and is awaiting a lawsuit. Something to do with stealing money from the players.

Nope...not for me anyway. I use it strictly for family and friends. People that I actually KNOW in real life.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:54 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,476,651 times
Quote:
Nope...not for me anyway. I use it strictly for family and friends. People that I actually KNOW in real life
Exactly what I am there for.. I don't need quizzes to see what kind of person I am or who I am like and I don't do any of those things. I only am there to stay in contact with family and a few friends. Our family is scattered all over the USA and it is a easy way to stay in touch and share pictures..

I moved away from where I grew up in my early 20's and what school friends I can remember the names of, I haven't found on there. I signed up under my maiden name so if any looked for me (if THEY can remember MY name), they could find me. I just want to be able to say to my kids "I went to SCHOOL with him/her!".. They have never heard me say that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships