Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times

Advertisements

True or false?

When I look at my friends and family members who have been happily married for a long time, I note that the men were all raised in a household with a male figure. Could be a biological father, could be a step father. But they all seem to have one.

Is this a coincidence, or am I on to something here?

Discuss. And if you strongly agree or disagree, I'd be interested in knowing your own sex and how you were raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
I think both men and women who are raised by married parents who are happy in their own marriage make better partners. They learned how to treat members of the opposite sex and had great examples in their parents.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Agreed... but the family unit has to be a happy one. And add to that formula, men who have sisters make great companions!!! If he only has brothers, there's just too much testosterone in the air for me. Plus they tend to be too much into watching sports on tv.

I also prefer to get acquainted with a guy's family BEFORE getting serious about him. The family dynamics and state of both mental and physical health are all part of the screening process for me.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
True, no question about it in my mind. Little boys who grow up without strong and authoritative male influences go out into the world with a substantial handicap.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I think it depends. I know a few people who grew up in families with siblings, a mother and a father present...but were beaten or ignored or something to that effect.

I think a loving family (regardless of genders involved) in which the parents show compassion and love frequently is the best environment for a child to be raised in. It's the parents job to teach the child (and not schoolbooks, mind you, but by actions) to treat others with respect and dignity.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
True or false?

When I look at my friends and family members who have been happily married for a long time, I note that the men were all raised in a household with a male figure. Could be a biological father, could be a step father. But they all seem to have one.

Is this a coincidence, or am I on to something here?

Discuss. And if you strongly agree or disagree, I'd be interested in knowing your own sex and how you were raised.

We have examples of what loyalty is, but of course, not all marriages last, so if daddy leaves mommy, a girl will probably grow up with daddy issues. I'm not sure how men are affected, but I know a guy who had an intact family, and he and his first wife got divorced, now he's on his second marriage. He's a family man type of guy..

The women I know from divorced parents tend to be trainwrecks.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
True, no question about it in my mind. Little boys who grow up without strong and authoritative male influences go out into the world with a substantial handicap.
I absolutely agree! It's a sad revelation to many of the upcoming youth today.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 AM

549 posts, read 1,930,034 times
This can't be true because back in the day, most couples stayed married (providing boys with both parents). And then, at some point, all of the divorces happened - indicating even men with both parents become lousy partners (unless you blame all of the divorces at the time on the wives).

Although, I am bias because my parents are divorced. In spite of that, I know that I'm going to be a great husband... heck, I'm going to be a great father, neighbor, coworker, and friend too!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
This can't be true because back in the day, most couples stayed married (providing boys with both parents). And then, at some point, all of the divorces happened - indicating even men with both parents become lousy partners (unless you blame all of the divorces at the time on the wives).

Although, I am bias because my parents are divorced. In spite of that, I know that I'm going to be a great husband... heck, I'm going to be a great father, neighbor, coworker, and friend too!
I believe that wave of divorce was caused by the sexual revolution, unrealistic expectations thanks to the media, and feminism. That's a different subject though, and could make an interesting thread.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Largely true, BUT....

A child is better off in a loving single-parent household than in a two-parent household that's unhappy.

And, as a guy, I don't think feminism has a cotton-picking thing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships