Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:27 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times

Advertisements

Whether is be with the opposite sex, same sex, parents, therapist or coworkers, you find yourself struggling to come up with something to say after you've been asked "so what else is happening?"

Or someone like a coworker asks you how your weekend was or if you have plans for the weekend and you either aren't in the habit of making specific plans or you didn't do anything special(or nothing worth telling the other person that would interest them) so you just don't know what to say so you feel exasperated and start to think i don't have a life or my interests and lifestyle does not equal others

it's like, i work a 45-50 hour week, i work out, i bike in the warm weather, i don't drink or go to clubs so generally speaking a lot of my time is taken up by work and gym alone

it's like i feel pressured to say things i don't know how to or feel pressured to lead a lifestyle i don't wish to

is this a product of being an avoidant personality (which i certainly am) or is this common in others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 03:30 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I'm a chatter and can have in depth conversations about nothing so it's not a problem for me. But if the person I'm with isn't a talker I won't push because there is nothing more awkward than watching someone struggle to find something to say.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,617,514 times
rlrl wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone experience this?
Whether is be with the opposite sex, same sex, parents, therapist or coworkers, you find yourself struggling to come up with something to say after you've been asked "so what else is happening?"
No.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Default Ceece

you know it's funny i used to be able to have in depth conversations about nothing ages ago but I've changed so much. I wish i could regain what I had. Funny when i lived with mom and dad before i moved out at 29 I was different but once i became independent i changed

Old 02-13-2010, 03:37 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,654,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

it's like i feel pressured to say things i don't know how to or feel pressured to lead a lifestyle i don't wish to
Its really not that big of an issue..just say,"Ahhh, same ol`same ol`."

Old 02-13-2010, 03:38 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,179 times
Absolutely. I hate small talk unless it's with someone I'm close to.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:39 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

Or someone like a coworker asks you how your weekend was or if you have plans for the weekend and you either aren't in the habit of making specific plans or you didn't do anything special(or nothing worth telling the other person that would interest them) so you just don't know what to say so you feel exasperated and start to think i don't have a life or my interests and lifestyle does not equal others

it's like, i work a 45-50 hour week, i work out, i bike in the warm weather, i don't drink or go to clubs so generally speaking a lot of my time is taken up by work and gym alone

is this a product of being an avoidant personality (which i certainly am) or is this common in others?
You don't know, that's good stuff you got there! You can discuss hitting or missing your time or distance goal for the day. You can talk about your passion for health or competition or whatever drives you. You'll look like a weekend WARRIOR!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Its really not that big of an issue..just say,"Ahhh, same ol`same ol`."
Bingo!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,063 times
rlrl, most people's lives are a lot more boring than they would care to admit, you aren't unusual by any stretch of the imagination.

But I think the factor of being kind of lost for words could be a separate issue. I know at least for me that how 'chatty' I am depends a lot on the other person. If we have a compatible personality and sense of humor then we'll typically talk and laugh about whatever comes to mind. But if the other person is lost for words I run out of things to say pretty quickly and usually say something like: "Well, it was nice talking to ya!"

Old 02-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Default it's funny

women on the job who DO NOT push me to converse are the ones i end up getting attracted to. of course i know i can't have them but still, i find when i DO say something it is well received by them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships