Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
I can see that happening, although I have noticed Indian tourists are getting more and more common, so that attitude will fade. Hagia Sophia is amazing. I could hang out in there for hours. If you ever do go, take a ferry up the Bosphorus because you can see all the old Ottoman summer homes and also go to Buyuk Adasi, an island with no cars and a beautiful old church.

Yeah, I have had to bite you tongue often about the Armenians, the Kurds, and North Cyprus, mostly because my Turkish is not good enough to take the argument anywhere. I have talked about it (in English) with my closest friends and most are pretty reasonable, although I think that is because they know I am not attacking Turks or Turkey, just discussing events.
Bosphorus! Tell me more. I just have those places in my imagination, all from Steven Runciman works
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Bosphorus! Tell me more. I just have those places in my imagination, all from Steven Runciman works
It is a great day trip if you take the regular city ferry. You basically zig-zag across the Bosporus from the Sea of Marmara almost to the Black Sea. It stops at the last town and you can hike up to the original Byzantine fort. I like the city ferry (as opposed to the shorter, direct tourist boats) because it is a mix of tourists and people going about their daily life. You can just kick back on the deck, drink some tea, relax, people watch, scenery watch, etc.

The modern city (odd to say since modern in this case is 16th-19th century) is also very cool, especially at night. I love Beyoglu and Istikal Caddesi in the evenings! Hundreds of people from all walks of life strolling around, bars/clubs/restaurants for all tastes, etc.

The Kariye Church/Museum is also worth seeing. Built in the 11th or 12th century (I forget which!), it has some beautifully preserved mosaics. It is a bit out of the way, but worth it.

Sigh. I am going to miss having Istanbul a mere 7 hr bus ride or 1 hr flight away

Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
misanthropy general distrust.
in 50 years enormous degeneration of trust. gone is the we, now its just me.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-16-2010 at 12:31 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
It is a great day trip if you take the regular city ferry. You basically zig-zag across the Bosporus from the Sea of Marmara almost to the Black Sea. It stops at the last town and you can hike up to the original Byzantine fort. I like the city ferry (as opposed to the shorter, direct tourist boats) because it is a mix of tourists and people going about their daily life. You can just kick back on the deck, drink some tea, relax, people watch, scenery watch, etc.

The modern city (odd to say since modern in this case is 16th-19th century) is also very cool, especially at night. I love Beyoglu and Istikal Caddesi in the evenings! Hundreds of people from all walks of life strolling around, bars/clubs/restaurants for all tastes, etc.

The Kariye Church/Museum is also worth seeing. Built in the 11th or 12th century (I forget which!), it has some beautifully preserved mosaics. It is a bit out of the way, but worth it.

Sigh. I am going to miss having Istanbul a mere 7 hr bus ride or 1 hr flight away
Holy sheeeet, I'm just drooling like I'm drooling at a buffet full of sumptuous food. I so wish I was in these places.

I bet the food in those restaurants you speak of is just great. Middle Eastern food is just special.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Misanthropy is fking awesome.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Holy sheeeet, I'm just drooling like I'm drooling at a buffet full of sumptuous food. I so wish I was in these places.

I bet the food in those restaurants you speak of is just great. Middle Eastern food is just special.
It is awesome because it is a mix of influences from what was the Ottoman Empire and each region has different foods. My favorites are Black Sea and Aegean style because of the fish, but the Southeast, which is spicier, is a close 3rd. My favorite type of restaurants are called meyhanes, where you pick a bunch of hot and cold small plates, although you need a taste for traditional Turkish music, because they all have musicians. I promise the music does sound better in the right setting

Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,578 times
All the time , save between the hours of 10 P.M. EST to 7 A.M. EST when I am at work. Aside from that , isolation and lack of desire for interpersonal contact of any kind is the motto!!

Sometimes , you just don't want to be bothered. It gets old after too long , especially having to take 'public transportation' due to a downed car. Friday evening , following errands , I don't even open the door until it's time for work Sunday night.
And , like clockwork , when I get home , I am always 'peopled out'. I used to work in a mall at 18. I liked it , until the stupidity had taken its toll upon my psyche. Fast forward to 31 and I am perfectly happy being far away from the 'action'.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
It is awesome because it is a mix of influences from what was the Ottoman Empire and each region has different foods. My favorites are Black Sea and Aegean style because of the fish, but the Southeast, which is spicier, is a close 3rd. My favorite type of restaurants are called meyhanes, where you pick a bunch of hot and cold small plates, although you need a taste for traditional Turkish music, because they all have musicians. I promise the music does sound better in the right setting
I remember this area was also called Bythinia and was a convergence of Greek, Roman, Persian and (everything else) cultures which makes it rich and divergent in terms of every walk of life around this area.

Not a big fish guy, but am a sucker for kabobs And saffron rice, yum.

Seriously, you've been blessed in life. I'm just licking my tongue in yearning, LMAO. I'd love to take a trip to Turkey but am currently held up in work and stuff.

I bet a few miles up and you'll reach Greece, thessaly and the like. Man, this area is a piece of work. Can't imagine the amount of western renaissance, eastern orthodoxy and islamic thinking amalgamated in ONE.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I remember this area was also called Bythinia and was a convergence of Greek, Roman, Persian and (everything else) cultures which makes it rich and divergent in terms of every walk of life around this area.

Not a big fish guy, but am a sucker for kabobs And saffron rice, yum.

Seriously, you've been blessed in life. I'm just licking my tongue in yearning, LMAO. I'd love to take a trip to Turkey but am currently held up in work and stuff.

I bet a few miles up and you'll reach Greece, thessaly and the like. Man, this area is a piece of work. Can't imagine the amount of western renaissance, eastern orthodoxy and islamic thinking amalgamated in ONE.
It is a crazy layering of history in every part of the country. Various Persian Empires, Lycians, Greeks (both Classic and Christian), Romans, 2 Turkish empires, Hittites, Armenian, and more and more! I could spend my life studying the history here and still only have a superficial knowledge. And, of course, each culture has left its mark. I'm going to miss living here, but am happy I got the chance to do so.

I think you would be a Southeast, Central Anatolian, or classic Ottoman cuisine type of guy

If your work ever gives you the chance to go, DM me and I can give you advice if you like.

Oh yeah, and to get this thread back on topic....uhhh....hummmm...I am a misanthrope except when reading history or eating?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
It is a crazy layering of history in every part of the country. Various Persian Empires, Lycians, Greeks (both Classic and Christian), Romans, 2 Turkish empires, Hittites, Armenian, and more and more! I could spend my life studying the history here and still only have a superficial knowledge. And, of course, each culture has left its mark. I'm going to miss living here, but am happy I got the chance to do so.

I think you would be a Southeast, Central Anatolian, or classic Ottoman cuisine type of guy

If your work ever gives you the chance to go, DM me and I can give you advice if you like.

Oh yeah, and to get this thread back on topic....uhhh....hummmm...I am a misanthrope except when reading history or eating?
I sure will. Since you're getting back to the States, are you bringing any artifacts? I'd love to get my hands on those LOL.

The thread will be back on topic when I go sleep. It's about time and I'm hitting misanthropy in about 6 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships