Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,574,082 times

Advertisements

A few years ago my sister arranged for me to go out on a blind date with one of her coworkers at the bank she worked for. She asked me if I would be interested and I said I would but it was a disaster. I went to my sister's house and her friend showed up and we were introduced and I had an instant feeling that she was very turned off by me. It was very awkward. Then my sister and her husband took me and her friend to the Seattle Center downtown which is quite a distance from where she lives and we got something to eat and just hung around for awhile but the woman was very cold and unreceptive to any conversation at all. It seemed even worse because this situation was happening in front of my sister and brother in law and everyone was clearly uncomfortable. After several hours we finally arrived back at my sister's place and her friend just said goodbye and got into her car and drove off. I did the same thing and a few days later my sister called me and apologized for the entire incident and said that she and her friend had never said one word about this date and acted as though it had never even happened.
Ok, I can accept the fact that it just didn't click between us and I'm fine with that but I wonder if this was just a bad idea in the first place because it was setting up an awkward situation right from the start because her friend knew nothing about me and I knew nothing about her and to make matters worse my sister and her husband had to witness this entire event. I would have been much more comfortable meeting this woman for coffee or lunch with just the two of us and then finding out very quickly that she wasn't interested and it could have ended more quickly without any spectators.
So this is what I'm wondering, if a blind date is being considered how should it be set up? Have any of you gone on a blind date accompanied by another couple like I did and if so what were your experiences? I'm also wondering if it would be a better idea to somehow arrange for two people to meet in a social situation that wasn't an actual date just so they could come into contact with each other such as a gathering with a few friends and then not even tell either one of them that this was being instigated to find out what they thought of each other. Sorry if this was long, but what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,378,291 times
Actually the best date I'd ever been on was a blind date. It was one chick my dad set me up with...but she texted me a pic of herself first. Is that still blind? Ahhh good ol' Jamie, maybe I should call her again!!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,998,478 times
I went on a blind date once. The guy wasn't my type physically but that didn't make me want to end it. What made me never want to talk to him again was his bitterness with being treated horrible in high school. I got to listen how he was tortured during brunch. This guy was in his twenties and still hung up on it. Not a good sign for me. He seemed to be bitter with a lot of things in life. I have not had the best life but I don't hang on to every wrong that's been done to me.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,209,589 times
Thumbs up Blind dates "can" work....

Hi, Montana!
Actually my husband and I met on a blind date. This was many moons ago, and when we were in college this was quite the common thing. As it turns out, I had had about 3 or 4 blind dates before him and this is the way they turned out~
I liked the guy but he didn't like me.
The guy liked me but I wasn't crazy about him.
Neither of us liked each other.
And then ...my husband!
Both of us had pretty much decided against anymore blind dates when we went out with each other. But we both relented and went. We went out with my roommate and her boyfriend and that was ok. I dunno. My personal opinion is that blind dates can work out, but they often don't. Just a matter of how much risk/awkwardness you personally want to take in trying to find someone you do click with. Of course, sometimes even first dates that you initiate yourself don't always work out like you hope they will because you don't know each other that well. Yes, it probably would be better if you could just kinda meet in a group setting first that wasn't an actual date. That might be hard to arrange secretly though if you know what I mean. Bottom line, I'm glad I said "yes" to the last blind date, after all.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,765,891 times
I had a blind date from Craigslist *stop that laughing y'all*! He was cute and nebbishy in his photos but OH how they LIE! When I got to the Starbucks and couldn't find him he called out to me and whoa, nellie!!!! He had a dead tooth in the front of his mouth and looked 20 years older and a little beat down by life! Well, OK, I said, I can give good date! We went to an exciting Thai restaurant in the Village (my favorite place on Earth). Great food but, yeah.... he was boring as all get out. I had to lead the conversation like I was doing a scene in a romantic comedy! It was time to part as I had to meet friends in Chelsea. He got super clingy and wanted to drop me off but Irepeatedly told him I'd rather walk. I didn't want him to meet my friends--he could have been a NUT and could have tried to invite himself along. We said goodbye. I got to the lounge and hugged my VERY busty female friend and said hello to her husband. 5 minutes later a text....."I know you're going on a date with another man. I saw you". I don't know what he thinks he saw! The next day I get another text calling me a b----, wh---, and a few other choice words because I had "two-timed and used him". Never. Again.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 PM

720 posts, read 1,404,930 times
Boooooooo, blind dates, bleh.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:08 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,574,082 times
Ticatica wrote:
Quote:
The next day I get another text calling me a b----, wh---, and a few other choice words because I had "two-timed and used him". Never. Again.
Your blind date was much worse than mine, thanks for making me feel better!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:59 PM

865 posts, read 2,423,549 times
I've been on several, when I was younger. Two were absolute nightmares - I couldn't get away fast enough. One was really good, but he wasn't interested in me (and I don't know that I was really that into him either, but he was nice and attractive).

I think what really helps is if the person setting you up, really knows what you're looking for, and isn't just trying to fill up your (or the other person's) social calendar. You never know, so I'd do it again.

Btw, as for my bad blind dates - one was ALL over me, and slobbered, to boot. The other looked just like Jon Lovitz (Saturday Night Live from way back when), and TOTALLY embarrassed me (by his behavior, not appearance) in front of some colleagues of mine. I could've KILLED my gf (and colleague) for even thinking that I would have been interested. Yeah, I wanted a date, but I wasn't THAT desperate, please!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 PM

1,689 posts, read 4,284,627 times
I had a similar blind date like yours and it was extremely uncomfortable. I knew the moment I saw the person that it was not going to happen.
If the same thing happened today I would excuse myself and leave.
I don't know what the answer is to meeting the right person is but it seems that it happens when we least expect it.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,765,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Ticatica wrote:

Your blind date was much worse than mine, thanks for making me feel better!
You're very welcome, sir. Truly appalling. I showed my Mom the texts because she did not believe me! She said, 'good riddance'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships