Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 PM

694 posts, read 1,232,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
It breaks my heart to see a humanbeing living on the streets, not being able to shower, read a paper, walk to a fridge for a glass of milk, or sleep on a real mattress in a warm place ... Everyone should live a life that leaves them healthy, and cared for ... I live a simple life, I don't have much or make much and I still donate as much as I can each year- a small amount of money and my hands-on time to a shelter that I'm passionate about ... My boss makes comments all the time, and tells me "You're like the goodwill ambassador". Why, because I truly and deeply care about people ?

It's one thing I can't stand, it's an area that burns me up faster than any other~ people who look down on others when you haven't walked in those shoes- no one knows another strangers story unless you've lived through it.
You have a good heart, ImCurlyBelle!

I am moved by the generosity of views of so many CD members on this thread! Keep up the good work, people! The world becomes a better place for us all one human being at a time!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
I don't give homeless people money, but I will, however, donate certain items to them that they need. If someone needs shoes, I am happy to buy them a pair of shoes. If they need a coat, I am happy to buy a coat for that person, but I don't hand over cash!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
I feel I need to clarify a point or two here. I do not give directly to the homeless, however I do support charities by donating money and goods.

Do not mistake my hard stance towards homeless people with being uncharitable and lacking in compassion.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Today I had to go to the post office. I noticed a guy asking people for change.
I spent more than I wanted at the post office but I had $2.00 in my pocket. I figured this guy might need it so I gave him $2.00.

I'm always wary that the homeless person will spend it on alcohol or drugs but considering the economic times, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Looking back, I wish I had taken the guy to buy something to eat rather than just giving him $2.00.

What would you have done?
I always figured, who cares? If I were homeless, I'd probably be drinking too.

It was never something I felt to be my business. There are homeless people who really want to be homeless; a sizable majority, in fact. And then there are those who have just fallen through every safety net. It can happen to anyone.

So it might be luck or chance or maybe some other thing, but I have no problem giving my money to someone so that they might medicate however they choose to.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I always figured, who cares? If I were homeless, I'd probably be drinking too.

It was never something I felt to be my business. There are homeless people who really want to be homeless; a sizable majority, in fact. And then there are those who have just fallen through every safety net. It can happen to anyone.

So it might be luck or chance or maybe some other thing, but I have no problem giving my money to someone so that they might medicate however they choose to.
You wouldn't happen to have a business interest in that "self-medication", coldwine, would you?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a business interest in that "self-medication", coldwine, would you?
Although I should by this point own significant interests in Russian vodka companies, in fact I do not.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Although I should by this point own significant interests in Russian vodka companies, in fact I do not.
There is still time, I think the Polish are eagerly welcoming foreign capital, coldwine.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 PM

530 posts, read 779,758 times
I have given food and money to the homeless, I even bought a few packs of cigs for this guy outside a bus station to go with his meal, but what I have found to be greatly appreciated is socks. I live in an area that gets rather cold in the winter and seeing those poor people walking around in the snow with barely anything on their feet, I have even seen a few barefoot in single digit weather with snow on the ground...heartbreaking.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I agree with you about waitresses, b/c I have done that job and it was the hardest job I ever had--people act like spoiled brats when they go out to eat.

On the bolded comment though--it's not often that a homeless person has the power or the will to hurt you. .
I live in one of the most crime-ridden states in the country...Im not letting someone off the street have the given opportunity to get close enough to do me harm ( also considering that so many homeless also suffer from mental illness), especially as a female. I can take care of myself, but that doesnt mean Im going to give somebody a chance to see how well I can do so.

People are jackarses when they shop for groceries too. Then people wonder why Im such a sarcastic biotch all the time...

Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I live in one of the most crime-ridden states in the country...Im not letting someone off the street have the given opportunity to get close enough to do me harm ( also considering that so many homeless also suffer from mental illness), especially as a female. I can take care of myself, but that doesnt mean Im going to give somebody a chance to see how well I can do so.

People are jackarses when they shop for groceries too. Then people wonder why Im such a sarcastic biotch all the time...
South Carolina is one of the most crime ridden states in the country? This is very surprising to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships