U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:29 PM

3,284 posts, read 1,147,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
My whole life, my grandfather has never really bothered to talk much. Why bother. Everytime he talks my grandma will just call him a stupid farm hick and talk over him. He's endured this brutal verbal beating for 65 years now. I don't know if he's brave or really patient.

However, he keeps having strokes over and over and they keep keeping him alive. Last time I visited him he'd just had a rough bout with a physical therapist, and he said to me, "Why can't they let me die already?" I pretty much got incredibly choked up.
That's too bad. I also have a set of grandparents who hate each other. And yes, it's my grandma handing out the verbal beatdowns. Hell, I heard her tell him that she was going to shove a paintbrush up his ass once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM

128 posts, read 151,482 times
I used to work as a home health aide....I worked for a couple that had been married for 66 years (I was with them when they celebrated that anniversary).

I feel privileged to have been a witness to that type of enduring love.
They were the sweetest couple to each other, they danced in their living room when the mood struck, she would cook his favorite dinners (with my help), they would go out and they would always hold hands or he had his arm around her. I could go on and on...I need to add that they always had the utmost respect for each other, even when one or the other was not around.

It was just truly wonderful, and I learned some things about love and relationships from them that I would have never learned from anyone else.

I know that my husband and I will be the same way when we are old and gray. We have that type of intimacy now, but something happens as we age.
I for one, look forward to it.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 PM

10,908 posts, read 11,588,882 times
I've seen that and it brings tears to my eyes..I hope I have that one day

Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 10,155,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Old couple sitting on a bench at a park I was walking through. They weren't talking, they just sat there taking in the crisp air it seemed, she had her head on his shoulder and he had his arm around her. They looked so peaceful and content. Made me wonder what their story is.

It really put a smile on my face. Awesome.
That's my wish...to one day grow old with my husband and just be at peace with each other...just like the couple you saw today.
As long as I don't do anything to screw it up, we shall be okay.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:09 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,611,673 times
Refreshing thread, PTC - glad you posted it! Serves as a good reminder to the naysayers that true love IS possible

Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Status: "It's almost Christmas (and Christmas break)!" (set 17 days ago)

794 posts, read 1,100,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
My whole life, my grandfather has never really bothered to talk much. Why bother. Everytime he talks my grandma will just call him a stupid farm hick and talk over him. He's endured this brutal verbal beating for 65 years now. I don't know if he's brave or really patient.

However, he keeps having strokes over and over and they keep keeping him alive. Last time I visited him he'd just had a rough bout with a physical therapist, and he said to me, "Why can't they let me die already?" I pretty much got incredibly choked up.
That is the saddest thing I've heard in a really, really long time... Hugs to your grandpa...

Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,138,125 times
It depends which bit you sniff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Is it true that old people smell like wood?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 AM

600 posts, read 903,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Old couple sitting on a bench at a park I was walking through. They weren't talking, they just sat there taking in the crisp air it seemed, she had her head on his shoulder and he had his arm around her. They looked so peaceful and content. Made me wonder what their story is.
Probably newlyweds .

Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 PM

19,968 posts, read 15,310,056 times
That is the type of love I have always wanted. I have failed miserably. What I wouldn't do for that type of love. To live and love through good and bad. To never ever, ever, give up. It wont always be flowers and easy, but never lose sight of each other.

To be committed to loving each other until our last breath.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:32 PM

24,005 posts, read 20,619,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
That's too bad. I also have a set of grandparents who hate each other. And yes, it's my grandma handing out the verbal beatdowns. Hell, I heard her tell him that she was going to shove a paintbrush up his ass once.
Both sets of my grandparents were deeply in love with each other. My father's parents were married for more than 60 years, had 10 children, and died within days of each other. I would have to literally go over the river and through the woods to get to their farm, which after they died was sold to the state university by two of my uncles, who kept the proceeds and didn't share it with the rest of the siblings or their children.

My mom's parents divorced when my mom was a kid - but my grandfather was always coming over and romancing my grandmother. Even when they were in their 70s, they always interacted with each other as if they each thought the other was the hottest thing on earth. It was really great to see - they were so attracted to each other but they just could not get along with each other at all.

I always wanted this kind of relationship, but it seems as if ours is going to be something like the one in the OP above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships