Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,268,561 times

Advertisements

Is it true that old people smell like wood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:25 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,095,906 times
I hope to be able to do that with my misses someday. Except my idea of romance is taking my lady down the St.John's River on a boat ride.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,680,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
...many times we have been asked by friends how we stay so happy and I say it is easy when you have actually found the one you are meant to be with.
The old couple sounds like my parents, and they always say that they found their relationship to be "easy". My mother doesn't even understand what people mean when they say that marriage is hard. It's a rare thing, but wonderful to see.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,496,894 times
I hope I can find that kind of happiness. Sitting with my old man at our home by a lake somewhere in our Adirondack chairs, holding our teeth in our hands, totally and completely in love till death do us part.

*sigh*

Old 02-17-2010, 09:17 AM

2,316 posts, read 2,546,170 times
I admire that kind of closeness and intimacy, the kind it takes years and years to build...when you get down to it, at the end of one's life what's important is not what job you had, or how much money you had, but how much you loved and were loved...Thanks for sharing such a sweet sight.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,946,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I hope I can find that kind of happiness. Sitting with my old man at our home by a lake somewhere in our Adirondack chairs, holding our teeth in our hands, totally and completely in love till death do us part.

*sigh*
Couldn't have made it sound more appealing, PTC!

All jokes aside, I also have illusions of the sort, but I don't believe they'd come true. It's been late for a long time for such things... They rarely happen on the umpteen marriage.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,588,273 times
I see couples who have been married for fifty years or longer through my job, and I can just see how they look into each others eyes, that they have been through so much together, and there is this...tough love!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,138,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Old couple sitting on a bench at a park I was walking through. They weren't talking, they just sat there taking in the crisp air it seemed, she had her head on his shoulder and he had his arm around her. They looked so peaceful and content. Made me wonder what their story is.

It really put a smile on my face. Awesome.
I have a great story also. Had dinner at a pretty amazing Italian restaurant with friends and the boyfriend. They always have live music and a dance floor. Great Italian food, people, setting very family oriented. Classy place anyway.........

The cutest couple ever they must of been in their 70's or 80's dancing up a storm right in the center of the dining hall It was soooo beautiful. They were living, happy, they were here, they were smiling, dancing holding hugging each other then she would rest her head on his shoulder and he would take her by her little fragile hips and turn her around to waltz with him......They were having a blast and LIVING not miserable,sad,upset just LIVING AND HAPPY

They were absolutley amazing, stunning, elegant you should of saw his suit.........whoa!!! and her beautiful blouse and slacks with her little heels just elegant

I loved them and felt soooo happy having them around.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:03 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,511,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
All jokes aside, I also have illusions of the sort, but I don't believe they'd come true. It's been late for a long time for such things... They rarely happen on the umpteen marriage.
Not true at all, Sierra! Most of the happiest old folks you see were married very late in life, even some after their spouces died.

Makes me wonder how many people are miserable in their marriages and will remain that way until one of the two die!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,382,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Not true at all, Sierra! Most of the happiest old folks you see were married very late in life, even some after their spouces died.

Makes me wonder how many people are miserable in their marriages and will remain that way until one of the two die!
My whole life, my grandfather has never really bothered to talk much. Why bother. Everytime he talks my grandma will just call him a stupid farm hick and talk over him. He's endured this brutal verbal beating for 65 years now. I don't know if he's brave or really patient.

However, he keeps having strokes over and over and they keep keeping him alive. Last time I visited him he'd just had a rough bout with a physical therapist, and he said to me, "Why can't they let me die already?" I pretty much got incredibly choked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships