Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:09 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,497 times

Advertisements

I haven't had the best of luck with guy friends, I'll be honest. My past experiences have made me especially cautious, but I have realized that although men can be how men can be, there are some good ones in the bunch. So recently, I have reconnected with some ol' guy pals.

Here's the problem. One of my career ambitions is to be a writer. I would like to do both screenplay and novel writing, and because of some advice, I've recently been working on a script. One of my guy friends is a director. After I told him about my writing, he was very eager to read my work and discuss some project ideas with me. It seemed like a good opportunity at first, but then he started acting weird around me and now I'm starting to doubt his intentions .

Here are some examples of his slimey behavior: he has little pet names for me "gorgeous" "beautiful" etc. When he suggested we meet to talk about project ideas, he asked me out to dinner on Valentine's day(), he makes me feel guilty when I can't meet up with him.

Am I overreacting? What should I do so that I can make it clear to him that I only want to talk about business? My other guy friend thinks he just wants to get laid and is using the whole "I'm a director" thing to get in my pants. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
I haven't had the best of luck with guy friends, I'll be honest. My past experiences have made me especially cautious, but I have realized that although men can be how men can be, there are some good ones in the bunch. So recently, I have reconnected with some ol' guy pals.

Here's the problem. One of my career ambitions is to be a writer. I would like to do both screenplay and novel writing, and because of some advice, I've recently been working on a script. One of my guy friends is a director. After I told him about my writing, he was very eager to read my work and discuss some project ideas with me. It seemed like a good opportunity at first, but then he started acting weird around me and now I'm starting to doubt his intentions .

Here are some examples of his slimey behavior: he has little pet names for me "gorgeous" "beautiful" etc. When he suggested we meet to talk about project ideas, he asked me out to dinner on Valentine's day(), he makes me feel guilty when I can't meet up with him.

Am I overreacting? What should I do so that I can make it clear to him that I only want to talk about business? My other guy friend thinks he just wants to get laid and is using the whole "I'm a director" thing to get in my pants. Thoughts?
What would happen if you told him those names made you feel uncomfortable?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Why don't you come up with some pet names for him??

Here's a couple you could bounce off of him.

Douchebag?

Pinhead??

I think they both have a nice ring to them.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 PM

Is there going to be a double standard here? I get called "sweetie" and all this crap when I'm out in public. I think it is kind of lame...but certainly not slimy. I just think this guy might just be lame.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
What would happen if you told him those names made you feel uncomfortable?
I don't know, I usually just ignore it. I haven't done anything to provoke this behavior from him. I try to keep things as neutral as possible - which is what confuses me. I notice that other girls (mainly wannabe actresses) throw themselves at him.

I want to get the point across without being rude, but I am getting more and more irritated. I think the last straw was when he invited me out for dinner on Valentine's day when we had talked all week about meeting up to discuss projects. I thought it was really inappropiate, and if he had wanted a date, he should have been clear about it from the beginning!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
he wants to get you to the casting couch.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
I don't know, I usually just ignore it. I haven't done anything to provoke this behavior from him. I try to keep things as neutral as possible - which is what confuses me. I notice that other girls (mainly wannabe actresses) throw themselves at him.

I want to get the point across without being rude, but I am getting more and more irritated. I think the last straw was when he invited me out for dinner on Valentine's day when we had talked all week about meeting up to discuss projects. I thought it was really inappropiate, and if he had wanted a date, he should have been clear about it from the beginning!
Just tell him that you would like this to be a business relationship only. He's probably really used to having women throw himself at him, like you said, and he's one of those goons that pumps his head up in the morning with air, at the gas station.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
No, he's just a guy. I can tell you what you are... but I'll refrain...

Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Why don't you come up with some pet names for him??

Here's a couple you could bounce off of him.

Douchebag?

Pinhead??

I think they both have a nice ring to them.
I like La Douche , that's his new nick name

Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No, he's just a guy. I can tell you what you are... but I'll refrain...
I'll bite , what am I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships