Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times

Advertisements

My boss (I'll call her Chipie...) doesnt like me running a register at work. I asked my other boss, the Assistant Mgr, exactly why.

Assistant manager told me one of the reasons is because of the facial expressions I make while working, and she doesnt like that I laugh and joke around with my coworkers when Im in the breakroom or business is completely dead.
HOW the heck does someone control facial expressions when thinking something, especially if doing so comes so naturally that they dont know they're making a face?

Chipie and I dont really mesh well as it is, so part of me is inclined to believe this is a personal thing, but Im willing to see if there's something to be done to hide my facial expressions.

Does anyone else find that their thoughts/feelings show up on their face, especially when interacting with others?

Can you control it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
NO I can't!!!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I can control it sometimes, but it takes a lot of effort (usually when I'm amused by something inappropriate). Half the time you can still see the emotion I'm trying to hide, so it's only worth it with people I don't know.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Let me put it this way. I suck at poker.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Yes I can. It just takes a bit of practice to deadpan. Either that or perhaps I'm simply numb!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 PM

I cant control mine worth a flip unless I put my full concentration into it.

I get the feeling this manager would LOVE to demote me based on personal reasons, but since I do my job right she has no grounds to do so...and Ive made it clear already Id fight her tooth and nail over it.

This is the first Ive ever heard though of someone not liking someone else doing a certain job because of facial expressions. Im baffled. Im jealous of those that CAN control it, because its annoying to have others know what you're thinking because of your face and not be able to hide it.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 PM

302 posts, read 885,213 times
There is a time and place. When I was a cashier, I definitely had a "look" that my boss HATED. It was usually given to her, though, when she was being awful. But every now and then....when I had a ridiculous customer....I would give it to them, too. It usually said "You are the rudest, most idiotic person I have ever met, and I cannot believe what you are saying to me at this moment". Yeah, not the best look ever

But for the most part, I had to give the blank look. The "sympathetic" stare that does not give away how stupid I think they are being. I am not a person that can hide their feelings, but when you work with customers, you have to try to not let them know how ridiculous they can be!

For the most part, though, no....I cannot control them. The only time I can is when I actually am thinking about it.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post

For the most part, though, no....I cannot control them. The only time I can is when I actually am thinking about it.
Im the same...if someone is REALLY making me angry, I can control (usually) my face and tongue because if I dont Im out of a job...but then my eyes give it away.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
No, what I'm thinking is written all over my face. Every time I look at my boss I know he sees dumb*** written on my face.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
LOL! I also make a lot of faces. My boyfriend loves my facial expressions.

I set off one of my co-workers one day because I rolled my eyes at him. We were discussing some aspect of our work shifts, and how if we work six hours, by law we have to clock out for a 30 minute break. Which means that on a six hour shift, we only work and get paid for five and a half hours. So what most of us do on a scheduled six hour shift is make sure that we only work 5 hours and 59 minutes. And this co-worker just didn't get it. I got tired of repeating myself, and apparently I rolled my eyes at him. He went ballistic on me and said that I must drive my boyfriend crazy with my attitude. Later on, I found out that he had had the same conversation with another co-worker before discussing it with me. She also couldn't figure out So he is just very slow in some of his thought processes...

Sometimes at work, I do make an effort to have a more deadpan look if I think that one of my stupid managers is bugging me and I'm trying to avoid conflict with him or her. The majority of the time I am a happy camper as I get along really well with my guests and a couple of my managers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships