U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which interracial relationships are the most common?
White Men and Asian Women 46 40.35%
White Men and Latina Women 7 6.14%
Black Men and White Women 38 33.33%
Black Men and Latina Women 8 7.02%
Black Women and White Men 1 0.88%
Black Women and Latino Men 1 0.88%
Latino Men and White Women 8 7.02%
Asian Men and White Women 4 3.51%
Black Men and Asian Women 0 0%
Any others? Please state 1 0.88%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 PM

12,660 posts, read 8,429,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
But most "blacks" are of mixed ancestry. I look more or less like an average black guy. But my ancestors come from four continents. I am no different than most black Americans or Latinos........I know one drop is Eurocentric, but in America it has served to unite a very diverse population.
Hi Lucario,

Africa is without a doubt the most bio-diverse continent for humanity. Just being "African" could potentially make one quite unique. I find Africans themselves to be quite different in appearance. Its still based on != European by a drop.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 AM

276 posts, read 447,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Lucario,

Africa is without a doubt the most bio-diverse continent for humanity. Just being "African" could potentially make one quite unique. I find Africans themselves to be quite different in appearance. Its still based on != European by a drop.
Hey my parents are full african and i am well above average, i am not light but dark skinned and i love it, because am still loved by all women from all four corners of the earth

it really depends in africa we do not call mixed race people black they either known as sailors children or mulatto and they themselves never classify themselves as black either. When my family migrated to the west i did find it quite odd for mixed raced kids who classified themselves as black. The more shocking one was when i met a quarter black student back in high school he had blue eyes, blond hair and had some black features but he still was known to be black though his skin passed for white

Are white people really ashamed to accept these mixed kids as their own other than black?

whats up with this one drop rule it doesn't even exist in africa?

Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 AM

12,660 posts, read 8,429,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
Hey my parents are full african and i am well above average, i am not light but dark skinned and i love it, because am still loved by all women from all four corners of the earth

it really depends in africa we do not call mixed race people black they either known as sailors children or mulatto and they themselves never classify themselves as black either. When my family migrated to the west i did find it quite odd for mixed raced kids who classified themselves as black. The more shocking one was when i met a quarter black student back in high school he had blue eyes, blond hair and had some black features but he still was known to be black though his skin passed for white

Are white people really ashamed to accept these mixed kids as their own other than black?

whats up with this one drop rule it doesn't even exist in africa?

Hi jackdonekings,

Your contribution was most well suited to make the point. Europeans in the past often suggested using mulattoes as African liaisons because they were "their people". The Africans were certainly bemused by this seeing the obvious European ancestry from their eyes.

It is of course that affliction that persists in humanity not to see with eyes out side their culture. I suppose what hyperbolically launched me from its orbit was the constant and pervasive conflict with logic. A strong sense of logic creates a culture of its own.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,683,110 times
Here's an interesting point to consider. Each generation from your parents to your grandparents, etc. will double the number of ancestors who you have a direct genetic link to. In just 20 generations that means that you have 1,048,576 different individuals who you are directly related to and that's only counting the 20th generation, I didn't bother to add them all up. My point is that every single one of us have descended from ancestors all over the world and there's really no such thing as an individual who is 100% white, black, or any other race. Modern human beings descended from a small population in Africa at approximately 100,000 years ago and all of us are in fact related to each other.
I truly despise racist attitudes and a few comments on this thread have sounded that way to me. From my point of view I see the mixing of the races as something good because eventually people will look so much alike that they'll have one less thing to squabble about and we won't be categorizing people into separate racial groups.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 PM

23,932 posts, read 20,544,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi jackdonekings,

Your contribution was most well suited to make the point. Europeans in the past often suggested using mulattoes as African liaisons because they were "their people". The Africans were certainly bemused by this seeing the obvious European ancestry from their eyes.
My youngest son was born with blonde hair and blue eyes, but his brother is darker than both parents.

When the Portuguese administered its African colonies, it used mixed Cape Verdeans (which I always get mistaken for in New England) as lower and mid-level administrators. They are still hated in Angola, Mozambique and Guinea Bissau.........

Old 03-06-2010, 10:30 PM

23,932 posts, read 20,544,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
A person with parents of two different races.

Like Obama, whose father was purely African and mother was of white European origin?

Like Quincy Jones's daughters, the father of whom was calculated to be only 60% African and 40% other, and the mothers of whom are white?

Or like my parents, one who was pretty much African but not totally, and one who is mixed with four distinct racial groups?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:43 AM

4,384 posts, read 2,032,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Like Obama, whose father was purely African and mother was of white European origin?

Like Quincy Jones's daughters, the father of whom was calculated to be only 60% African and 40% other, and the mothers of whom are white?

Or like my parents, one who was pretty much African but not totally, and one who is mixed with four distinct racial groups?
Yes.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,156 times
Default [quote=CESpeed;13057142]I am a big advocate of dating whoever you are attracted to regardless of race. Even though I'm B

i agree,im currently in love with an awesome columbian male, being a white lady i find it a great and happy relationship!!

Old 03-08-2010, 04:53 PM

8 posts, read 7,740 times
I'm asian, husband white...here goes...I would never in 100 years (last man on earth) whichever you want marry a asian man, raised with the standards that old school men are taught. What are they taught, marry someone who is submissive, selfless, mothering, also who can pit up with their mother in law, (haha), no but really. Asian men are taught to be the man, the neantherthhal, so to speak, and marry someone to clean up after them. Communication skills are zero, this is because the tremendous pressure to strive in things that aid in survival, financially and within the community. Oh and saving face, they are taught so much what not to do, really there isn't an example of what to do, (romanitically or other emotional function). And ohh the double standard. Its really worse I think in minority races with parents who immigrated here. See we are taught, bothe the boys and girls that we came here and are competing with the home team. Jobs, schools...so we must be at least twice as better to be seen. And well, let's just say there isn't enough time to do this and balance "how to be romantic", and communicate. And girls are naturally better communicaters anyway, so we assimilate better into american culture, and guys well, guys are kind of screwed. Thus this whole explanation, asain girl meets white boy, talk, fall in love and asian boy, well, he's working hard to support his parents. Yet another reason asain men are screwed, its tradition for them to be their parents caretakers, and really living with the inlaws does not work for me, unless that house is situated on a 500 acre lot with an electrical fence. J/k.
Anyhow to sum it up...culture, tradition, poor communication skills and pressure. Hope that is an introduction to an answer that can be delved a lot deeper.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 PM

19,229 posts, read 16,585,451 times
There should have been a choice for black man with fat white woman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.