Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I don't see a problem with what your expectations are. The reason I say that is you are talking about important things. Things that really makes a person and defines them so absolutes matter. That's not being picky, its being a grown up.
Nothing in life is absolute. So what determines the "legitimate" reasons for choosing a date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
I have read a bunch of threads on these topics. Men say women have too many requirements, and I know a few cases of that, but I wonder if men have too few sometimes. For example, you decide not to go for a 2nd date with someone you met in real time (not online I have no experience with that). For me the following would be the main reasons why and the logic behind it:
Treating service staff like crap - Shows how you treat people you are not trying to impress
Hates cats and/or dogs - I have 2 dogs and 1 cat and yes I will chuck an 2nd date before the pets
Bigoted - Do I even have to give a why?
Fanatic about any religion/ideology - Fanatics scare me
Mentions salary - Yeah I am old school/British on this. Salary is not a topic for first or even 5th dates. Uncouth to say the best
Displays signs of uncontrollable temper - See bigoted commentary
Mentions prior criminal past and/or drug habit - See bigoted commentary
Shows signs of severe mental illness - Same as above

So I have a list of more than 3 items. I suspect most men have a long list for relationships, but a short one for "I'll date you until we have sex, so 2nd date is ok even if I do not like you much"
Hi typhoidmary,

If they were picking the right thing more often then it would not be an issue. What they don't quite get is one guy is at times one guy is making the list by lying and its to 3 different women.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:00 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,418 times
I think both genders are picky to an extent. Being picky can be a good thing provided it's for the right person. For example, if you want someone with good moral character that's on your level educationally/financially and personality-wise, there's nothing wrong with that. Where the problem comes in is when men and women have a laundry list of mandates that THEY DON'T HAVE THEMSELVES. How you gonna require something of someone that you don't have/aren't willing to acquire yourself

Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
I think certain people are pickier and it has nothing to do with sex. I know a guy who jumps from relationship to relationship to relationship with a matter of days in between. He went from single, to engaged, to single, to a relationship in about 2 months time. He even tried to get involved with me at one point. He is just really in need of someone to love and someone to love him. He had no requirements aside from his partner being female.

In that same story, there were the women who knew his past and had no problem being his new girl. They really had no requirements either. They also just wanted to be loved.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:49 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I think certain people are pickier and it has nothing to do with sex. I know a guy who jumps from relationship to relationship to relationship with a matter of days in between. He went from single, to engaged, to single, to a relationship in about 2 months time. He even tried to get involved with me at one point. He is just really in need of someone to love and someone to love him. He had no requirements aside from his partner being female.

In that same story, there were the women who knew his past and had no problem being his new girl. They really had no requirements either. They also just wanted to be loved.
So essentially, they were all willing to settle low on the scale, right?

Do you know (and can you tell us) how they all fared a few months or years later?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
So essentially, they were all willing to settle low on the scale, right?

Do you know (and can you tell us) how they all fared a few months or years later?
As far as I know, they are all still relationship jumpers. I know my guy friend is still roaming around without roots.

I don't think anyone - man or woman - is going to respect a partner who doesn't have some expectation or standard.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 PM

5,323 posts, read 6,099,356 times
In general men are much easier to please then Women..

Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
As far as I know, they are all still relationship jumpers. I know my guy friend is still roaming around without roots.
Kind of thought they would be - a leopard doesn't change it's spots quickly, if at all.

Quote:
I don't think anyone - man or woman - is going to respect a partner who doesn't have some expectation or standard.
And that's why I had hopes that they had settled for each other - what a wonderful pairing that would be.

Of course, I'm being a bit facetious, and I'm also betraying my own beliefs of "no expectations", but hey, it's not about me.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 AM

740 posts, read 1,232,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I think both genders are picky to an extent. Being picky can be a good thing provided it's for the right person. For example, if you want someone with good moral character that's on your level educationally/financially and personality-wise, there's nothing wrong with that. Where the problem comes in is when men and women have a laundry list of mandates that THEY DON'T HAVE THEMSELVES. How you gonna require something of someone that you don't have/aren't willing to acquire yourself
Very good point. Especially when it is in the "character" department. If you (universal) are not honest, caring and whatever, what makes you think an honest, caring whatever person would want to be with you?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,444 times
NorthsideJacksonville your comment is absolutely perfect to address this issue ! straight to the point ..very very well said comrade .. but theres one plausible statement i'd like to point out .. Being picky can be a good thing provided it's for the right person. Now my friend, how would u know that the person you're in a relationship with is that Mr/Ms Right ? .. in my opinion people usually screen deep into a whole lot of things that seems to surface later from out of the blue .. and then they realize it was all a big mistake .. and the battle begins ..the so called Mr/Ms.Perfect we've picked on to live a life with, happens to be a creature from hell .. if not hell then someone turned stale .. can you please give your opinion to explain your above statement ..if im not wrong ..your views will be highly appreciated ..thanks for reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships