Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi DennyCrane,
I just noticed match.com is in a strategic partnership with Dr Phil. They still have a mad scientist after all.
Hey, watch it, bub! There's more than one Dr. Phil...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well there are free ones, and there are not-free ones.

i was asking why you chose a not-free one.
Many people prefer paying sites...the thought behind it is that someone that is more serious about finding a partner would be more willing to pay for more features. I've used match for years. I have found it to be a much more usable site than any free one I've seen.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Chessie-That is too funny. I think my quick dinner with the first guy was a clue and probably my face when I met him in person..
Well I hope you don't think I was joking...I seriously DO have that statement on my profile. I would advise anyone to do the same.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:25 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
One reason I tried online personal ads (where I met my wife) is I wanted to look away from where I live. I lived in a small town. One of those towns where gossips get news around quicker than CNN.
Divorced after 20 years I knew every time I found someone to talk to, by the time the story got around and blown out of proportion, we had married on the first date. I clicked on "within 100 miles from where you live". Worked fine!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This is the second time I've done this since I ended the relationship with the ex back in August. The first time was a total disaster with all the responses I got that totally did not match my requirements..I was more speicfic this time, so I'm hoping that will weed all that stuff out. The two dates I went on were pathetic: The first guy looked nothing like his picture and the second guy was soo boring and uptight, I couldn't believe it. I did email someone today so lets see what happens with that. I'll keep you guys posted, LOL.
I've always wondered if those sites really work.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Chessie-I think I'm going to add that to it later today and I agree about the paying sites weeding some out

Pickle-I'll keep you posted!!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Himain, this could be your chance to be an internet star. If you will keep us posted with pics on your dates we can vote here on line and you can be the next bachelorette.

Of course in my opinion, few men are good enough for you so pick wisely and remember to check their credit scores. If they don't treat you well let me know, I have connections.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I've always wondered if those sites really work.
What do you mean by "work"?

If you mean, does everyone that signs up find the love of their life there? Well of course not. Some people are unpleasant enough that no one would ever get within 10 feet of them, much less date them. But if you mean, do some people really find compatible people and go on enjoyable dates, and even possibly fall in love with that person...?

Oh yeah. That happens. Quite a bit.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What do you mean by "work"?

If you mean, does everyone that signs up find the love of their life there? Well of course not. Some people are unpleasant enough that no one would ever get within 10 feet of them, much less date them. But if you mean, do some people really find compatible people and go on enjoyable dates, and even possibly fall in love with that person...?

Oh yeah. That happens. Quite a bit.
Yes, it does. Back a few pages I listed my success story.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Thank you, well said. I think that's what I was trying to get at in a less concise way.
I don't believe the OP would deliberately mislead a guy. But I can see how easily a guy might get that impression if a woman he met on match continued meeting him for drinks. I think it's always a good idea to be straight with people, let them know up front if there's a future with you or not so that you're not wasting their time and keeping them from meeting someone else. IMO, a lot of women do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships