U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
680 posts, read 1,167,010 times
Reputation: 503

Advertisements

It surprises me that so many men don't want to date single moms. Why is that? Is it because you don't like children, or you think the woman is a loser because she's not with a man, or what?

For me, it can go either way. A mom whose kids are out of control brats is an instant turn-off. A mom whose kids are a reflection of her love and intelligent parental skills is a HUGE turn-on because it says so much about her character and also because I love children who aren't screwed up in the head.

It's kind of like dogs --- I would have a hard time dating a woman who doesn't care if her dog poops on someone else's lawn or jump up on people with muddy paws. It's just rude and shows a lack of concern for anything that is inconvenient. But a loving dog owner will not only raise a lovable pooch, she'll also be considerate about the dog's effect on others.

And one last thing --- at 53 years old, I don't really want to have kids of my own but I would like to have the experience of being a dad. So... the best option for me is a single mom.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
 
5,148 posts, read 4,221,083 times
Reputation: 2865
Mothering is a huge turn on. It doesn't necessarily have to be their own children...if they have a "mothery" type job that is also cool.

I have no qualms about dating single moms.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Tri-State Area
2,936 posts, read 5,044,786 times
Reputation: 1805
Admirable - but are you ready for the emotional and financial chains that come with that responsibility?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Reputation: 30547
Yep, I've only dated single moms. I'm in the same boat so it's been a good fit and we understand each others situations.

I will say that HOW they became single moms and what their kids are like etc. are going to weigh very heavily into how I view her and I'm certain that goes both ways.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
 
8,468 posts, read 13,222,091 times
Reputation: 7511
This subject has been discussed plenty of times. You can do a search and find lots and lots of threads. But to summarize, the reason so many men don't want to date a single mom is because they're afraid of being on the hook financially, that the mother is looking for a father figure for her child, and that he'll have to compete with the kid for their mother's attention. If you're willing to date someone with kids, that's great. Don't buy into a lot of the stereotypes that are out there. At the same time, don't date one so that you can feel like a father. The kids may or may not have one and will not need another one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
 
Location: in the good ol' South
865 posts, read 2,064,620 times
Reputation: 870
Still, it is refreshing to hear that there are guys out there that would welcome moms, and actually prefer dating moms. No doubt, there are extra challenges when you date someone with kids (men and women alike). But as a mom, I too would prefer to date a dad. A good dad. It's nice to see that a man can be kind and affectionate with kids, that his attention can be focused on someone else besides himself.

Personally, if I were single, I wouldn't need to date a guy to be a father figure to my kids, or to support them. But I'd rather be with a guy who drives an SUV to truck his kids to their games, than one who pulls up in his Porsche, and thinks he's "all that". I think it says a lot to someone's character if they can love little human beings, esp. if they are not their own. I know I could love someone else's kids (well, as long as they weren't the Antichrist!), and would want to be with someone that felt the same about mine. It just adds another dimension to a relationship, I think.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Space Coast
1,989 posts, read 4,466,025 times
Reputation: 2733
I'm glad to know there are men out there who tolerate dating single moms... just in case I ever find myself single.

I have so much more I could say about women who are looking for a father figure and/or financial help or who use their single status to excuse dumping their children off on someone so they can go out partying all.the.time..... ugh. I guess what I really hate is how some people assume that all single moms are like that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northside)
3,271 posts, read 5,888,862 times
Reputation: 3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Admirable - but are you ready for the emotional and financial chains that come with that responsibility?
Most men don't take this into consideration before clicking up with a single mom. When you're with a single mom, you are essentially put on the backburner because her mindset is looking out for #1, her child and rightfully so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This subject has been discussed plenty of times. You can do a search and find lots and lots of threads. But to summarize, the reason so many men don't want to date a single mom is because they're afraid of being on the hook financially, that the mother is looking for a father figure for her child, and that he'll have to compete with the kid for their mother's attention. If you're willing to date someone with kids, that's great. Don't buy into a lot of the stereotypes that are out there. At the same time, don't date one so that you can feel like a father. The kids may or may not have one and will not need another one.
Most single moms are looking for a father figure for their child. Very few, if any moms are looking for a partner that compliments them in every way. However, if she raises her child(ren) right then I could make an exception
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 01:54 PM
 
Location: The Jar
20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
Reputation: 36712
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
It surprises me that so many men don't want to date single moms. Why is that? Is it because you don't like children, or you think the woman is a loser because she's not with a man, or what?

For me, it can go either way. A mom whose kids are out of control brats is an instant turn-off. A mom whose kids are a reflection of her love and intelligent parental skills is a HUGE turn-on because it says so much about her character and also because I love children who aren't screwed up in the head.

It's kind of like dogs --- I would have a hard time dating a woman who doesn't care if her dog poops on someone else's lawn or jump up on people with muddy paws. It's just rude and shows a lack of concern for anything that is inconvenient. But a loving dog owner will not only raise a lovable pooch, she'll also be considerate about the dog's effect on others.

And one last thing --- at 53 years old, I don't really want to have kids of my own but I would like to have the experience of being a dad. So... the best option for me is a single mom.
I agree 100%!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 01:54 PM
 
5,148 posts, read 4,221,083 times
Reputation: 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post


Most single moms are looking for a father figure for their child. Very few, if any moms are looking for a partner that compliments them in every way.
What percentage of total single moms do you know, in America? I think the most any one person could know is .1%. Yet, you throw a huge blanket over a large group of people.

[Mod cut]


Last edited by yankeegirl313; 03-04-2010 at 04:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top