U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you date a hunter?
Yes 31 79.49%
No 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 AM

11,090 posts, read 10,941,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I use to hunt a lot when I was younger. Now I mostly just fish and shoot pests for farmers. Creatures like groundhogs, possums and the like that destroy crops and the property. I have been at this since I was only 5 years old and have never made an animal suffer. I always make clean one shot kills with head shots. Many times through the ear or some other very challenging and nearly impossible for the distance shot. I never miss and always end it quickly. Out of all my friends PD or not, they will tell you that I am the best shot they have ever seen. I remain humble about it and write it off to experience. Rugged
I could use a good shot to take out that pesky hawk that is after my chickens. Managed to blast a few feathers but my aim isnt too good these days.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I don't work out, but then rural dwelling, means hard labor for common chores, and each season in NH USA means another kind of common chores. This week it will be 5 full cords of pine fire wood to feed a sugar maple stove. Gathering in my meager 35 buckets in the woods/swamp by hand, and other regular every day chores to keep my life style on track. Maybe this is interesting..... I must gather apx 40 gallons of maple sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup.

That is a heck of a lot of work to fire a stove for around 8 maybe 10 hours, to drive off 39 gallons of water as steam. The stove needs a new charge of wood each 5 to 7 minutes.

Are you sure thats syrup your making and not moonshine?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 AM

19,127 posts, read 11,028,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I could use a good shot to take out that pesky hawk that is after my chickens. Managed to blast a few feathers but my aim isnt too good these days.
ewww that isn't a very good idea. Hawks are fedrally protected, more than wolves. I hear ya, understand what you mean, but find another way to protect your domestic stock. A vacation in Club Fed isn't much fun I hear. Just being in possestion of a feather can get you busted, unless you happen to be a papered Native American.

Does this look like a still to you?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,850,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Good post! There is a new book out titled "Animal Factory" about the animal farming industry and how these poultry farms, pig farms and cattle are mistreated and just how toxic the surrounding communities are as a result. If people new the conditions these chickens are bred under, how they are processed, and what happens with all the waste, they'd never eat at KFC again. Yet those same folks are appalled by hunters who do it quickly and cleanly.

I know and I simply don't understand it. We are now so remote from the source of our food that we have become squeamish for all the wrong reasons. Most hunters I know love and respect animals. A tiny minority are thugs with guns and give a bad name to hunting.

I know so many people who won't eat this or that because it is wild and has never seen the inside of a supermarket or plastic wrapping and I simply do not get it. We are literally killing ourselves and our planet with unsustainable inhumane agricultural practices and yet some people point the finger at hunting.

I can no longer hunt as I now have mobility problems but still prefer to know exactly where my meat comes from. I have on a few occasions used McDonald's and always hate myself for it as I know I am letting myself down and condoning appalling practices . And it tastes foul too. I try to limit my involvement with fast food chains and dubious supermarkets as much as is humanly possible. I wish to have nothing to do with people with so much contempt for quality, humane or environmentally sound practices. At the end of the day we are simply biting the hand which feeds us. It is short sighted, stupid and incredibly counter-intuitive.

I always find out the provenance of my meat and seafood/fish and will ask either the butcher or supermarket ( I am lucky as our local supermarket is really into humane /local /free range meat/seafood) or restaurant.

I think I annoy the waiters and waitresses , they feel pestered but I feel it is my duty as a consumer. Also it does bring to the attention of stores that customers are demanding better animal husbandy practices and things have changed for the better, in the UK anyway. Still a long way to go but labelling has had to be a lot more open and there is definitely a demand for better foods.

I have seen what they do to chickens , and dairy cows, meat cattle and factory pigs and it is incredibly cruel and dare I say it "evil".

Hunting if it is a clean kill is simply the most humane way for us to eat meat.

I would rather eat a piece of hunted wild boar over KFC anyday. It tastes better, is better for me and the animal will not have suffered much . Everybody wins.

Our problem is how obsessed we are about cheap, cheap , cheap foods... We feel there is an entitlement to have a lot of protein in the form of meat every day , almost twice a day which is ridiculous. We are OMNIVORES and I say that as someone who adores meat. We need to reduce our meat consumption but ask for a better and more humanely reared "product".

I don't eat meat that often but when I do it is good.

Our obsession with cheapness and "value" has led us to pollute the world, despoil the rainforests, and spew toxic matters into the oceans, rivers etc...

And abuse and exploit poor vulnerable people in the third world as well as at home. It is shocking how ready we are to allow child labour to occur simply so we can buy a cheap pair of sneakers or pollute large swathes of our natural environment for chicken which tastes of nothing.

We have the power to demand changes to how trade is done and our food production system is set up and yet we idly watch and do nothing. Social justice and animal husbanddry have gone out of the window in the pursuit of insane profits. And we wonder why our planet is starting to go awry...

Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 AM

19,127 posts, read 11,028,107 times
Mooseketeer, to me that was excellent.. a great post, and worthy of more say so than just rep. mac

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
ewww that isn't a very good idea. Hawks are fedrally protected, more than wolves. I hear ya, understand what you mean, but find another way to protect your domestic stock. A vacation in Club Fed isn't much fun I hear. Just being in possestion of a feather can get you busted, unless you happen to be a papered Native American.
Yeah, I know. I dont really want to kill the darn thing, I like predatory birds but Im not going to lose my birds to it either. Actually my plan is to get some black bantys. Ive heard from old timers, but dont know if there is any truth to it, but they are suspose to discourage hawk perdation because they are mistaken for crows. We'll see.

I know a lady who raised chickens and turkeys. Had them in a nice covered pen and a redtail busted through the chicken wire to get her birds.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 AM

622 posts, read 697,490 times
I wouldnt date a girl who wouldnt. At least once.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM

5,108 posts, read 7,563,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
How is eating meat from a package any less barbaric than someone who kills for their own meat? The animals in a package from the store still died and people actually pay them for it! Not only did they die but they were kept in a fenced area before they were bludgeoned...
it's not about the animals dying and how the animals died

it is about the human who gets off on the act of killing

it is the attitude and mindset of the human that is disturbing and repulsive, particularly in personal relationship and intimacy, as the topic of this thread is "would you date a man who hunted"

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I know so many people who won't eat this or that because it is wild and has never seen the inside of a supermarket or plastic wrapping and I simply do not get it. We are literally killing ourselves and our planet with unsustainable inhumane agricultural practices and yet some people point the finger at hunting.
I dont get this either. My ex SIL was the worst. The in laws had bought and slaughered a cow from the neighbors farm and the SIL was eating it until they told her where it came from. She acted disgusted and pushed her plate away. I have relatives that wont eat my free range chicken eggs because "they come out of a chickens butt"??????

Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 AM

7,492 posts, read 8,229,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
So this entire time we were disagreeing, we were actually agreeing?
What we were disagreeing on was your claim that population control is a good reason to allow the practice of hunting. But somehow that statement was viewed as an indictment of hunting in general, which I assume is why you chose to start this thread. I never said I condemn hunting. I don't agree with it and don't really respect the people who participate in it as a sport. If you said you were hunting because it was your only source of food, then I wouldn't look down upon it. After all, that's how humans survived for millions of years. But it would very hard to buy such an argument today given how plentiful food is in modern America. As CESpeed said earlier, it's one thing to hunt out of necessity. It's an entirely different thing to hunt for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships