U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you date a hunter?
Yes 31 79.49%
No 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 AM

13,779 posts, read 17,016,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it's not about the animals dying and how the animals died

it is about the human who gets off on the act of killing

it is the attitude and mindset of the human that is disturbing and repulsive, particularly in personal relationship and intimacy, as the topic of this thread is "would you date a man who hunted"
I can't imagine that all of the men and women who raise farm animals for slaughter are all disturbed people. My point is this...the net being cast is a bit too large.

Scientists kill animals every day...does that make them disturbing and repulsive? Lab animals die far more gruesome deaths than a wild animal being shot.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,572,878 times
I hunted for years when I was younger and my father and I would go out together. We ate what we killed.

Then I went to war and I haven't hunted since. If it can shoot back I consider it fair game. If it can't then I'll only shoot it with my camera.

But that's just me and my take on it. I don't judge others either way.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM

740 posts, read 696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What we were disagreeing on was your claim that population control is a good reason to allow the practice of hunting. But somehow that statement was viewed as an indictment of hunting in general, which I assume is why you chose to start this thread. I never said I condemn hunting. I don't agree with it and don't really respect the people who participate in it as a sport. If you said you were hunting because it was your only source of food, then I wouldn't look down upon it. After all, that's how humans survived for millions of years. But it would very hard to buy such an argument today given how plentiful food is in modern America. As CESpeed said earlier, it's one thing to hunt out of necessity. It's an entirely different thing to hunt for fun.
So if you eat meat it is ok as long as someone else kills it for you? And I don't care if it is an organic raised or grass fed animal, they do not die easy. I've seen a lot of animals slaughtered in different villages overseas and organic farms back in the states, and honestly it is as painful for the animal to go that way as hunting is. And worse for the animals waiting to be slaughtered because they smell the blood and hear the death sounds. In general the farmers don't have "fun" doing it because it is just a job, but it is not a painless or gentle thing to do to an animal.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 AM

11,419 posts, read 11,371,752 times
Quote:
it's not about the animals dying and how the animals died

it is about the human who gets off on the act of killing

it is the attitude and mindset of the human that is disturbing and repulsive, particularly in personal relationship and intimacy, as the topic of this thread is "would you date a man who hunted"
As has been stated multiple times by hunters or those who date hunters, it is rare that the hunter "gets off" from the act of killing. They enjoy the act of the hunt. Finding where the heards are, tracking them, waiting for the big buck and being selective of what animal they take.

The type of person that "gets off" on actually killing will just indiscriminately kill any animal that crosses their path be it wild game, or dogs and cats. I agree that is disturbing but that is not what hunting is about.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 AM

5,108 posts, read 7,735,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Actually, that is incorrect on both counts. Vegetarians tend to have lower BMIs (and therefore lower rates of obesity-related diseases) and lower rates of cancer. It's also not any more difficult for vegetarians to be healthy than it is for people who eat meat.

But don't take it from me. Take it from the American Dietetic Association.
spot on post Avienne

i have worked in health care for decades. the main reason i stopped eating meat is because I learned about and also see firsthand the diseases and illness and damage and destruction wrought on the human body from ingesting meat.

hang out in a cardiac surgery unit, hang out in a cath lab, listen to the stories that nurses tell and see for yourself the garbage that is pulled out of the human body that eats meat. i have not eaten meat since.

physical health and common sense and practical wisdom all = no meat for me.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As has been stated multiple times by hunters or those who date hunters, it is rare that the hunter "gets off" from the act of killing. They enjoy the act of the hunt. Finding where the heards are, tracking them, waiting for the big buck and being selective of what animal they take.

get real. I am ROFL. Try this with the hunters you know: if the "hunt" is the fun, would they still hunt with out the kill? without the guns? without the weapons? without the violence? Then watch their reaction. I know their reaction, because I've conducted that conversation myself with hunters I know.

A hunter without the guns and the kill, is a hiker, is a nature-lover, is a naturalist, is a tracker. The hunters I know have laughed in my face, generally adding, that those pastimes are for fa&gots, for fairies, not for real men.

For the hunters I know, the thrill is the kill, the violence, the weapons, the guns, for them it is associated with their manhood, their ego. Take away the guns and the violence and the killing, for them it is not being a real man.

Plenty of reasons not to date someone with those ideas.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,777,430 times
Quote:
spot on post Avienne

i have worked in health care for decades. the main reason i stopped eating meat is because I learned about and also see firsthand the diseases and illness and damage and destruction wrought on the human body from ingesting meat.

hang out in a cardiac surgery unit, hang out in a cath lab, listen to the stories that nurses tell and see for yourself the garbage that is pulled out of the human body that eats meat. i have not eaten meat since.

physical health and common sense and practical wisdom all = no meat for me.
Not to mention all the hormones and antibiotics, and never mind the heaven-knows-what from "downer" animals in factory farming. I'd watch Food, Inc., but I have a feeling I wouldn't eat anything at all for a week afterward.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I hunted for years when I was younger and my father and I would go out together. Then I went to war and I haven't hunted since. If it can shoot back I consider it fair game.
Thank you for this.

It reminds me of what a buddy of mine shared, of the Tinde' nation, a deer hunter, he said once he got into recovery for alcoholism, he couldn't even shoot a deer anymore.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:24 AM

5,148 posts, read 1,841,578 times
I think next we should have an abortion debate. I like reading posts where nobody cares what the other says.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:32 AM

30,863 posts, read 19,139,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
And why/why not.

Apparently there are people who feel hunting is cruel and inhumane but would have no problem eating farm raised meats and poultry where they are subjected to experiments, abused, and mutilated.

(I figured a thread of it's own would be better instead of hijacking another thread)
I fish on occasion. I've shot a rabbit or two in my garden and given it to my chinese buddy to eat but am not a "hunter".

<shrug> I wouldn't date anyone that would be offended by the above actions.

I like open minded people tolerant of different views and cultures. It's amazing how many people consider themselves to be quite advanced and forward\liberal thinking but are as small minded as any evangelical condemning gays etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.