U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 PM

393 posts, read 558,543 times
Need I say more? Hence my screen name? Any takers? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,342,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
Need I say more? Hence my screen name? Any takers? LOL
Hey, it's not that bad! You should have a wealthy clientele... provided you have it that is...

Old 03-06-2010, 07:13 AM

26,240 posts, read 18,757,652 times
Definitely would date someone like that; provided, however, that he wasn't looking for someone to support his basic needs. I could deal with and admire someone who lives on a tight budget and doesn't need all the "accessories".

Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 551 times
I fell in love and married an artist. I was able to support us if we were careful. He never kept his end of deal to help with housework, etc. Never made money with his work, photography etc. He liked to spend money freely. OOPS! Big mistake to leave him to that much time on his own while I worked. Big mistake! I failed to see red flags! I would never support someone again! He obviously was some kind of sociopath.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:31 PM

27,238 posts, read 25,151,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There are a number of occupations that are extremely competitive and difficult to make a living with. That would include writers, artists, photographers, musicians, actors and a number of other creative fields. I was a full time musician for a number of years and I know how trying that can be on couples. The one good thing about it is that you can probably make a living at it if you're good but you're unlikely to make alot of money. It's much tougher financially for someone who's a painter, writer or aspiring actor because unless you've really made a name for yourself there's very little money in it.
What I've seen happen many times is that if either a husband or a wife is involved in one of these competitive occupations is that their spouse typically becomes the person who has to do the 9 to 5 jobs to get the bills paid. And of course many artistic people also work full time and are forced to pursue their creative interests in their spare time.
All of this can cause a great deal of strain on a relationship and unfortunately many very talented individuals, in fact the overwhelming majority, never achieve their goals. Considering the difficulties that exist would you have a relationship or marry someone who is pursuing an artistic career?
It would depend on how much time it took away from me. I don't mind fully supporting someone else financially, as long as I get my "me time".

Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,277,921 times
I would date them but that is all.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 PM

14,756 posts, read 13,405,965 times
The sorority types definitely DO NOT date/go out with college guys who major in anything creative, let alone most of the social sciences. For them, the business of dating is dating business majors.

For the more alternative and/or nonconforming ones, guys in all majors, and subsequent careers, are open game.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,038,683 times
I married a music major who wanted to be a rock star. We started dating in college so I was more interested in the fact that he was hot and played the guitar than I was thinking about future earning power. He was always ambitious though. There are a lot of artistic types that don't work hard, my husband always had a day job and then would work on music all night, we both worked to pay for things like demo sessions and attorneys. It worked out, I'm a stay at mom and he financially supports us on a good income.

So YES, I would always be more interested in a person who is passionate about what they do, be it music, sculpture, or finance, than someone working a 9-5 job with a high salary but without passion.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 PM

18,870 posts, read 13,574,453 times
Sorry...this is a major red flag of "sociopath" looking for support so he can do what he wants. He won't do housework or take care of kids....because it "interferes" with artisitic endeavors. Narcissitic....

Run. Do not walk.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 PM

14,243 posts, read 11,179,152 times
I totally would, although there would have to be a lot of other qualities about her for it to work. I am an Engineering student, so I am very far from an artsy kind of guy, but if I got along with her really well and she had real work ethic and realized that if things didn't work out she was going to have to get a real job, then I wouldn't mind at all.

I am a big supporter that everyone should go for what they love and go for their dreams, and I'd like that.. but if she was unrealistic it just wouldn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships