Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times

Advertisements

What a sticky situation: Friends of mine are splitting up, and I like them both. But, I would have to associate with each behind the others back, as there is animosity between them. Has anyone else dealt with this? What have you done ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
If they are both your friends, you should be able to keep both. If your only relationship to one person is through their partner, then you needn't keep that person. I had "friends" that were only friends of a girlfriend, when that association ended, so did their association with me.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:36 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
If either one is expecting you to cut off the other, that is not a friens. Tell them that you are not going to choose and if one of them expects you to, he/she has made the choice for you.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
I treat it like its between them. Obviously, you want to avoid rubbing either party's nose in the fact that you've been in contact with the other, but I don't feel it is my business to take sides.

Just this Thursday, I encountered a situation about this. In discussion with another couple, the name of the divorced man came up and my friends got rather "animated" in their condemnation of him. I guess they heard her side of the story and that was that. I don't look at these situations like I had hidden cameras in their house. There are two sides to everything and unless there were criminal sanctions, who's to say they really have the full story. Even then....

I suppose that this case was the relatively rare instance where the man instituted the split. Women tend to always side with the women in any event but especially in this case. I suppose their husbands go along to play it safe.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:09 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
The two parties may decide for you. I made it my choice to dissociate myself from the mutual friends of my husband and myself after our divorce. I just wanted no part of that life anymore.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:07 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
When my ex and I split, a friend and business associate of mine told me that he and his wife, who worked with my ex, had discussed the split and decided they were refusing to take sides. He said that his wife was telling my ex the same thing. Then he mentioned that my ex had approached him at a party and started to bad-mouth me, but that he had interrupted her and told her that he didn't want to hear any of it, and said he didn't want to hear any trash talk from me either.

I appreciated his honesty and their approach to an awkward situation. My relationship with them didn't change, and I assume their relationship with my ex didn't either -- which was fine with me.

And for the record, I've never said anything bad about my ex to anyone. She's still the mother of my children and not a bad person. We simply had differences that we couldn't work out.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:08 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
You should not have to choose. If they are truly your friend they should be mature enough to move on and not pressure you in any way.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Why chose. This is between them not between you and them. With that being said, sometimes it is inevitable that friends do chose sides. In my situation that is something I will not ask any of our friends to do.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:44 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
My best friends got divorced years ago and I was the best man at the wedding but have remained close to both of them ever since. I think in most situations you wouldn't have to break off contact with one of them. Afterall, they are separating themselves from each other, not from you.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:48 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,846 times
I guess the question really is, is either of them pressuring you to take their side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships